Of course not. This site is rated PG.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 9:43

Re: Youghiogheny River, Fayette/Sommerset Co. 9/08/2012

Quote:

Ramcatt wrote:
Quote:

greenghost wrote:
Quote:

It's a wonderful river....and a bit mysterious.

FI,
And that is the essence of this river. Like a stunningly beautiful woman who appears out of nowhere, flirts with you, then suddenly disappears. Leaving you with a burning infection that requires a total of 5 days in a hospital over two separate occsasions

fixed

fixed

Posted on: 2012/9/13 9:56

oh yeah... you got the extended stay plan

they just gave me couple bags of morphine and a note that said "don't do that again"

but back to the topic at hand
so after a day of catching chunky risers, you kicked up a few rocks above your butterfly net, coming up empty and you want to say the river is dead?

Posted on: 2012/9/13 10:01

Ok, to go along with what Fishidiot observed, I have read reports in newspapers etc. calling the yough "infertile". Whats the deal? It is a pseudo tailwater, arent they typically "very fertile" due to the plankton and algae growing in the stillwater above the dam release? This then leads to an incredible population of filter feeding insects. However, the yough cant be a true tailwater, because of it mixing with a freestone WW stream. So, what is it?

I have never noticed or observed much bug activity on the river. Ive never seen a fish rise. I havent seen much in the way of bug life on rocks. I have only seen a decent amount of stonefly shucks. Still, they are never too abundant.

Now, with all of this observation, I still wanted to ask fishidiot why he said the river was infertile. I even typed up a decent response last night, but never posted it. Like him, I have never noticed much in the way of bugs, but unlike him, I have always observed tons of baitfish, and enormous crayfish. I assume it cant be infertile if it holds that quantity of baitfish.

Cant agree more with what everyone said about the river. Everytime I walk away from the river, I have a heart to heart discussion with myself on whether i would ever care to fish it again. The answer is always "no". I hate it. Wading it requires so much effort. You walk the damn trail for miles to reach accessible stretches. All of this would be forgivable if you had banner days, but they never come. My last outing I managed two river chubs and one 11" smallmouth. I had 4 trout on(one of them being a beefy 18" bow) and a smallie around 16-17". This always happens. I hook into some decent fish after 7 hours of fishing and they get off. It is salt in the wound. And still, i go back. I dont know if I do it out of stupidity or what, but I cant get enough of the yough. I find myself day dreaming about it while commuting, and live for the day I "crack it". I am not 100% this river is even crackable, but im borderline obsessed with it.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 12:07

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

pwk5017 wrote:
Cant agree more with what everyone said about the river. Everytime I walk away from the river, I have a heart to heart discussion with myself on whether i would ever care to fish it again. The answer is always "no". I hate it. Wading it requires so much effort. You walk the damn trail for miles to reach accessible stretches. All of this would be forgivable if you had banner days, but they never come...This always happens. I hook into some decent fish after 7 hours of fishing and they get off. It is salt in the wound. And still, i go back. I dont know if I do it out of stupidity or what, but I cant get enough of the yough. I find myself day dreaming about it while commuting, and live for the day I "crack it". I am not 100% this river is even crackable, but im borderline obsessed with it.

Its amazing how many people say similar things about their experiences there. I've had the same thoughts that you posted almost verbatim. Yet we always go back.

Is the consensus that the lack of favorable spawning habitat and water from the Casselman River entering at Confluence the main hang-ups preventing the Yough from being a world class tailwater?

The Yough is an enigma but one thing that has been scientifically proven is that the Pittsburgh Pirates have completely tanked it since this picture was taken.

Resized Image

Carry on...

Posted on: 2012/9/13 13:10

From Pittsburgh
The yough is quite complex.
It is a tail water for sure - just have to check the 50 degree water flowing from the dishcharge all summer. But then it only flows for a mile or so , and in comes the combined flows of the casselman river and laurel hill creeks. Both of those streams get quite warm in the summer, and up the overall river temps quite a bit.

I've never seen much in the way of hatches in that first mile of outflow - and have also wondered why that is. Guess it's due to infertility from the lake.

Below the junction, there are some sparse hatches. Nothing like you see on the central PA limestoner's. But enough to get some fish rising for sure. You just have to look in the right spots.
As for wading it - some spots are a bear for sure. But there are also stretches that aren't that tough.

Overall, it's a river that definitely needs to be learned. I've been doing that for about 25 years now. And I gotta say, it's really well worth the time and effort.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 13:22

From SW PA
There are plenty of others who know the river much better than I. But what I have observed; the fish rise pretty well if there is something, anything, on the water. They are also pretty quick to get back up and feeding, after the many rafters. So those are good things the river has going for it.

That being said I guess I need another 20 years to get a little better perspective.lol.

Regarding the "infertile" description. I personally read that in a report from Rick Lorson, PAFBC coldwater biologist. It was an older report. Maybe somone has a more recent one. The one point that seems evident; it is a better river now than it once was. Perhaps it will contunue that trend.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 17:16

Multiple guys with over 20 years on the river giving me similar reports doesnt exactly boost my confidence. I typically cant string days together on the yough, because i walk away feeling that humbled and disheartened. In a few weeks, I am going to give it another go. Its been 2-3 since my last hat handing.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 19:20

From SW PA
pwk,

Let say that, first off, I've been floating the river. In many instances, the riseforms are very subtle. Very subtle. And often times, they're mid-river, possibly unreachable to a wading angler.

That's not to say there aren't good spots that offer a wading angler a good shot at rising fish. But they're clearly are not all over the place.

I don't know how long you've been at this, but it does take time. Be observant, gather the help that some of the other guys here can provide. Its getting late already this year, but maybe next spring I can float with you down there and we can try to figure something out about this place.

Good Luck
Dave

Posted on: 2012/9/13 21:06

From Dauphin PA
I thought the "infertility" label was applied due to the ph levels. I fished it once 20-25 years ago. Too dangerous to wade but caught a few on clouser crayfish. I also think the infertile label is making reference to the lack of insect hatches. I understand the Yough below the dam in Md is an exceptional fishery. I'll make the drive out if you want to hit that section one day.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 7:19

From Monessen, PA
I miss the Yough. I haven't fished it in a good while. But there are certain areas where the fish consistently rise. There are hatches, but rarely of the blizzard type. This has been improving in my opinion over even the last ten years that I've been sampling it with the long-rod.

I don't know if "infertile" is the perfect description, but it certainly shouldn't be thought of as "fertile" either. I suggest "relatively infertile" as an artful compromise.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 7:34

Quote:

DaveS wrote:

Regarding the "infertile" description. I personally read that in a report from Rick Lorson, PAFBC coldwater biologist. It was an older report. Maybe somone has a more recent one. The one point that seems evident; it is a better river now than it once was. Perhaps it will contunue that trend.

I've read that report, too. I wonder about the PFBC, though, and how accurate their reports are.

For instance, I ran into a guy from there this summer at a gas station in the morning. He saw the drift boat and came over to say hello and asked where we were fishing. I told him the Yough and he wanted more specificity because he'd been electro-shocking the river. I told him where we were putting in and he said to me that there were very few trout in that section of river. "Not a fishable population" were his exact words.

I thought he must have been joking or mistaken. But he wasn't. I was actually a bit worried. I hadn't been fishing this piece of river because of the low, warm water, but things had changed and I had decided to give it go. So I drove there thinking that maybe the heat or something else had caused a kill this summer. Needless to say, this PFBC guy who was in charge of counting fish on the river was absolutely wrong. Not even in the ballpark.

It was a bluebird day, but in spite of that, after seven hours of fishing, we still put over thirty trout ranging in size from 7-20 inches in the boat So any report that comes out of the FBC on the river is automatically suspect in my opinion. If anyone works for them and would like to comment, feel free. But that that information is going to come out in an official report and that someone got paid to be that incompetent is criminal. Is the whole organization that ineffectual?

As for fertility, if we're using that word to describe hatch density, then no, the river does not compare to some of the better hatch streams and rivers across the state. That being said, there are plenty of bugs, baitfish, crayfish, aquatic annelids, freshwater shrimp, and sowbugs in the river to maintain a nice population of trout and bass that grow to exceptional size.

There are hatches, and they generally come off like clockwork every day at the same time, and you can find trout eating every stage of that particular bug if you know when and where to look.

I don't know many people who've spent more time than myself chasing trout on the Yough. Is it a hard river to learn? Definitely. I learn new things about it constantly. And fishing being what it is, there are going to be tough days. But I personally haven't fished any other Pennsylvania trout water that is more productive in terms of quality fish on a day in, day out basis than the Yough.

That's all.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 9:35

Regarding the fertility of the Yough. The pH readings are listed on the USGS gauge at Confluence. The current reading is 6.7.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03081000

Posted on: 2012/9/14 9:38

Quote:
It was a bluebird day, but in spite of that, after seven hours of fishing, we still put over thirty trout ranging in size from 7-20 inches in the boat So any report that comes out of the FBC on the river is automatically suspect in my opinion. If anyone works for them and would like to comment, feel free. But that that information is going to come out in an official report and that someone got paid to be that incompetent is criminal. Is the whole organization that ineffectual?

Hey YoughRG...

On these big rivers I would not put much weight into the PFBC reports. Shocking rivers of this size is very inefficient. The PFBC is use to shocking the many small freestone streams and when they are put to the task of shocking big trout rivers, they just aren't equipped to do it properly.

We have had the same issues on the Lehigh River. PFBC goes out and shocks and can't find a fish. Yet the same pool they shocked earlier, in evening there are dozens of trout rising. Go figure!!!

Any shocking the PFBC does on these big trout rivers is just a "snap shot" at any type of trout population and should not be taken as the "gospel" with regard to fishable populations of trout.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 10:14

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com