Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Youghiogheny River, Fayette/Sommerset Co. 9/08/2012

From South Fayette Twp.
Great discussion of the Yough, I'm glad I stumbled upon it.

I think the Madison of the East comparison originally came from an article Charles Meck wrote in Fly Fisherman, July 1989. I still have my copy.

Re the boat photos at the beginning of the thread, do any of the outfitters rent them?

Posted on: 2012/10/11 14:44

From SW PA
donles,
That's my pontoon in the pics and it is a great fishing platform. I don't know of anyone who rents them. Sometime they can be had surprisingly cheap. Check the swap forum occasionally.

Also, you are somewhat limited to where you fish throughout the day. Probably not gonna want to float a few miles in the dark.

Posted on: 2012/10/12 7:00

From South Fayette Twp.
DaveS,

Those pontoons are really nice. I saw one on Penns last year. One guy, shallow water, lots of rocks, no problem.

Sorry, I'm often obtuse but I don't follow your comment below.

Quote:

Also, you are somewhat limited to where you fish throughout the day. Probably not gonna want to float a few miles in the dark.

Posted on: 2012/10/12 10:02

From SW PA
donles,

What I mean is you will have a definite put in and a take out. On the Yough, that’s probably Ramcatt to Ohiopyle, or about a nine mile float. On a high flow, it’s a couple -6 hour float. But low flow, and upstream wind, and (hopefully) rising fish, it can be 12 hours (or more) to the take out.

So you won’t be spending the evening fishing near the put-in, unless you have plans to carry the boat out. (Or floating for miles in the dark.UGH!) In some cases the anglers who bike the river can fish whereever, then ride back to their car at dark. Since I have the ‘toon, I float. But at roughly sundown, I’d better be pretty close to Ohiopyle. Then I get to load everything up, and go back to Confluence to get whatever vehicle got me there in the first place. It can be a bit of fooling around, but I did cover whatever I wanted for nine miles of river. There are advantages, and there are disadvantages to any method.

Posted on: 2012/10/12 12:04

From South Fayette Twp.
Good info. Thanks for the explanation.

Posted on: 2012/10/12 19:09

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com