Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Youghiogheny River, Fayette, 5/26/2007
From Monessen, PA
Had chores today, but got out for a brief spell from 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM. When I arrived, there were many bugs on the water and in the air. It was probably in the upper 70's, calm and overcast. The confluence guage read 901 cfs. I saw tiny black midges all over the water, small light caddis (16), small dark caddis (16), large dark caddis (14), Sulfur, Cahill and large brown stonefly (10-8), yellow colors showing on belly. Fortunately, I had a few stimulators left from the Smokies, one of which seemed a good match. The stoneflies were floating down the stream with wings folded, just walking on the surface a bit. I only saw a few random rises and I chased them on foot, but they'd rise somewhere else when I got in position. Finally, I got a take I wasn't expecting and had a nice fish on for 5-10 seconds, but it shook loose. So, I ended up skunked, but was glad I got out because now I can document the hatches for future reference. If I get my work done early tomorrow, I'll be back.

Posted on: 2007/5/26 23:01

Edited by JackM on 2007/5/27 7:09:53

Re: Youghiogheny River, Fayette, 5/26/2007
From Monessen, PA
Didn't get back until Monday. Where did the hatches go? I saw a few sulfurs, one cahill, some BWO in 16-14, a handful of midges, but no stoneflies. I had to resort to a dropper to land a trout, though I missed a nice one on a stimulator I tied in size 10 hoping to imitate what I saw Saturday evening. There were also a few of the small tan caddis I mentioned. What a difference a couple days made-- I saw about 10 rises the whole 5 hours I was out compared to dozens in the short one and a half on Saturday. Go figure. The Confluence guage does reflect that the water temps were considerably cooler yesterday than Saturday. I guess that may explain the dramatic difference with hatches.

Posted on: 2007/5/29 6:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com