Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Youghiogheny (Middle Section), Somerset Co., 11/16/13

From sw pa
Fished Saturday Nov 16. with good results. 3-4 miles up rvr of Ohiopyle. Water flows around 800cfs and temps around 50deg. Clear visibility. Good browns on this outing. 14-20" range. Browns are on the move. Streamers worked best during overcast/low light conditions. Olive wooly bugger type flies. Also egg patterns in pink and smaller olive pt patterns working best. Got sporadic dry action at dusk. Little insect activity observed. River was in great shape. Good time to be on the river.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 23:25

Edited by Fishidiot on 2013/11/19 19:13:35

Re: Middle Yough

From Hunker
I too just fished the yough recently but it was a bit high. I always fish from confluence down to ramcat. Next Spring I'm thinkin on taking my bike down the trail and fish some different water. Seen some nice fish come out of there. Sometimes I'll be looking at the river and it reminds me of some western river out near Colorado.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 5:19
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

From Dauphin PA
I think we floated by you (2 man pontoon). I believe the three of us were the only people on the river. We fished streamers w/o luck. Took fish on prince & iso nymphs. In the flatter water, there were small olives, midges a few iso and a couple of caddis. Some fish were up sipping and DaveS stung a half dozen on top.

Wading that river is dangerous at best. I've never seen a place where the river bottom randomly vanishes. 2' drops into 25' quite often.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 8:39

From Denver
I fished it two weekends ago. Started at Ramcatt and worked down maybe a mile. I was throwing a few bigger articulated streamers looking for a healthy brown, but didnt have much luck. Ended up with 3 SMB and a nicely colored bow though. I didnt see a single rise all day.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 11:01

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

MrMustard wrote:
I didnt see a single rise all day.

An optimistic dry fly snob might claim you didn't look hard enough. Hope and imagination are partners in life.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 12:07

From Denver
That very well could be true. Considering I was tossing some large junk with a sinktip line, I likely was not scanning the surface for dimples as intently as I might have in May.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 13:46

From Dauphin PA
The rises we saw were very subtle aside from the swirl that looked like a duckling was grabbed by a musky. The big rise was just as we put in.

Mustard,

I think you were the one looking for a Yough boat a while back. Don't go cheap or you'll be walking the bike path to your car. PM sent.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 15:28

Re: Youghiogheny (Middle Section), Somerset Co., 11/16/13

From sw pa
Krayfish, I was the one you pasted that day. Think we were about the only ones on the river that day. In regards to the risers on that river you have to hunt them out. They'll surprise you at times where they rise and how big they are taking dries. Every year some of the largest trout I land on the mighty Y come on dries. Also never underestimate the power of a good egg pattern to pull some very good trout.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 22:28

From Montgomery County
The rises we saw were very subtle aside from the swirl that looked like a duckling was grabbed by a musky. The big rise was just as we put in.

Depending on where you put in, I've caught pike between Ramcatt and the mouth of Laurel Hill where the Castleman dumps into the river... so you never know.

I've also found the Ramcatt riffle the only place where trout consistently sky out of the water... like 2 or 3 feet. I remember a day about 15 years ago fishing there with my pap that we counted several hundred trout jumping like that. We stood there and caught fish after fish on whatever we threw until we had nothing left but spinners... I was bait fishing at the time. If I recall, it was a very warm day in mid November and we were fishing in t-shirts. Other than fishing cicadas, I'm not sure I've had a day like that in my lifetime.

Other times, you would swear there isn't a fish in the river.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 12:26

From SW PA
Polskip, First let me apologize. I said some bad things when I saw you standing there... LOL. (Hey its a good spot!)

Anyway, I think we were sort of rushed to get down the river by dark, and I'd of liked to spent a little more time, on some of the more productive runs. In any case I'm glad you got into some fish, I just wish I could have put Kray onto a big one.

Bam, the big splashy rise was up under the 281 bridge and likely a silly stocker.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 17:43

From sw pa
Dave S, sorry to hog the hole. Lol. It is a good area. I've been in that situation before. I understand about running out of quality time on the river. Just so much time to fish especially this time of year. Hopefully next time you'll get him into a large one. They definitely are there.....just a tough nut to crack at times. Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 23:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com