Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yough at Confluence -- 6/24/08

From Pgh
The Yough enigma continues for me. Fished from the outflow down to about a mile below Ramcat. Low flows. Beautiful weather. The only thing missing were trout. I will never understand this river. I figured with the low flows, trout would be really popping everywhere. Nada. Saw bugs -- caddis, cahills, BWOs. But only saw one rising trout in 7 hours. Caught two bows on pheasant tail nympth dropper off a big bushy cahill. No size to fish. Water temp 62 degrees at midday.

Stopped at Dunbar Creek for a couple of hours on the way to the Yough. Flow was very nice. Water temp 61 at 10 am. Caught 3 little fish 8 to 11 inches on a small brown woolybugger. One brown two stocked brookies.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 9:54

Re: Yough at Confluence -- 6/24/08

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Welcome to the board GreenGhost.

My experience is about the same as yours with the Yough. The fish never behave as I think they should, and I rarely have good days there.

I think JackM is the only guy with the Yough figured out right now. Of course he may have just been lucky last Saturday and not really have it figured out after all!

Posted on: 2008/6/25 11:39

From Monessen, PA
I once declared I had broken the code for Dunbar to someone who had trouble there. We met so I could show him what I had deciphered. He caught 6 fish to my none. I have to say the same notion would probably be upheld for the Yough. When I have a good day there, I am a genious and when I don't, then the river was at fault.

I think a lot has to do with the fluctuations in water temperatures, but that's all I know about that.

I do know if you had trouble in my favorite pool, I'm not surprised because I bruised the lips of every trout there on Saturday.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 12:36

Edited by JackM on 2008/6/25 13:48:36

-- Leo Tolstoy

albatross,
Thanks for the welcome, but actually I'm the old timer, schrec. I couldn't figure out how to change my email address which no longer exists so I opened up a new account. But my frustrations with the Yough never changes. Even though the fishing sucks more times than not, it is an addicting river though, ain't it?

Posted on: 2008/6/25 13:21

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
That was erie. I just had an encounter with the ghost of Shreck. It was even green!

Yeah, the Yough is adicting. Its also the only game in town in July and August.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 21:46

From Pgh
Albatross,
lol... my last name (Schrecongost) loosely translated in German means "shrieking ghost!"

I start a new job on the 7th but will be going back up a day or two next week. We all should hook up for a day on the Yough. (We can then blame each other should the fishing suck. ;^)

Posted on: 2008/6/26 11:43

From SC PA
albatross, if you haven't figured out the Yough, then I'd be at a complete loss there. Maybe it's just one of those places where things change so much and so often, that there's no figuring it out -- ever.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 8:35

Ditto on all this. I had one really good day there about a year ago, that was it. Admit that I have kept going back. Damn river.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 9:11

From Pittsburgh
Schrec,

Yes, the Yough can be very moody around confluence. But the fishing is usually more consistent once you get away from the access points. For that reason,I usually bike fish there.

When I was growing up in the sixty's, I had a glow in the dark board game called green ghost. I thought that's where you got your new handle from?
Glad to hear you're not going to be unemployed for very long. Good luck with the new endeavor

Posted on: 2008/6/30 21:34

I guess that I am still waiting for my one good day there

Shcrec, I once worked with a Jolie Shrechengost in the Pittsburgh area. I can't imagine that there can be that many screaming banshees in the area.

Posted on: 2008/6/30 23:08

From Pgh
dryflyguy,
Great guess! Yes! We old timers know the Green Ghost game. It has "haunted" me all these years. Thanks for the good wishes on my new job. It's going to be a challenge, but I'm up for it... and happy to be working again!

ryan,
No relation to Jolie, but it's a very common name around here, especially up the Alle-Kiski Valley. We're probably all distantly related... from the same ghostly clan who came here back in the early 1800's. As far as the biking down the Yough goes, I do need to get a cheap second-hand bike for the trail. Know of any available?

Posted on: 2008/6/30 23:44

From Pittsburgh
Schrec,

For biking along trout streams, the trails are almost always level, and there's no need for a fancy bike.
I have a 10 speed huffy that I bought about 15 years ago, for around $80 new.
The prices have actually dropped since then - I've seen the same bike selling for $50 - $60 recently at wally world and other discount stores

Posted on: 2008/7/1 16:05

From Greensburg, PA
I'll sell you a wally world mountain bike for 50 bucks...my wife never rides hers anyway...could use the room in the garage.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:00

My dad recently bought 2 bikes at a garage sale for $15. One is a huffy the other a schwin. Both mtn. bikes.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:19

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com