Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yough River, Westmoreland County, 8/21/10

From Pgh
Fished the river on Saturday from 5 to 8 pm on a certain stretch between Dawson and Smithton. Weather was warm, humid and overcast -- perfect for smallmouth fishing. Water temped at 77 F. Caught about 12 fish ranging from 4 to 14 inches. All on top with chartrusse and white poppers. Most of the better fish were not caught in the main current but rather in splits near islands and grass beds. I would fish sections of the main river without a pass, then hit a certain stretch between islands for example and do well. Water clarity was very good. The best I've seen on the days I've been able to get out this year. Saw a ton of small bass... a good sign of things to come I hope. And the highlight of the trip... a muskie of about 40 inches with a fish -- looked like a sucker -- sideways in its muzzle. It swam about 8 feet from me. Startled the crap out of me. Very cool.

Posted on: 2010/8/22 21:42

Re: Yough River, Westmoreland County, 8/21/10

It is incredible the number of small bass that are around this year. I pulled into a huge back-eddy the other day and saw no less than 20 bass swimming around in there between 1 to four inches in a space no larger than a bath tub.

I'm going to need gps coordinates on the musky.

Glad to hear you had a good time.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 10:27

From Pgh
Quote:

YoughRiverGuide wrote:

Can't give coordinates... but it was 500 yards up from the big, deep pool in the the river across from the big maple tree on the bank.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 10:57

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Sorry I missed fishing with you.

I was out for a couple hours Suday evening up closer to Confluence. Hooked and lost one bass on a popper and landed an 11 inch bass on a black zonker.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 13:38

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

YoughRiverGuide wrote:

I would say follow the fingerlings....

I have seen musky lingering around the mouth of the Casselman out by the big boulder.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 13:43

From Montgomery County
No muskie, but I caught two pike right below that boulder back in the day. I heard there are quite a few throughout Laurel Hill as well...

Posted on: 2010/8/23 16:08

From Gettysburg
Neat report. Although bassin has been rather poor for me this year, I too have seen just huge numbers of YOY bass just about everywhere I've been fishing.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 19:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com