Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yough River, Fayette County August 1st

From The "Burgh"
Well, my family went to Ohiopyle today so I fished from 10 til 4 and did well according to my standards. Around 11 I hooked and landed an 18 inch rainbow within a quarter mile of the swimmimg area on a size 14 hairs ear soft hackle. I was so happy because a trout over 12 inches has thus far eluded me on the yough, I've only fished the river 2 times before this. I must say I am completely hooked on this river, the possibilities of huge fish and the scenery is rivaled by few. I caught around 10 or so trout that were between 6 and 10 inches all on the soft hackle hairs ear. Threw streamers like a mad man in an attempt to land one more large fish but moved one 6 incher, not what i was looking for. I would like to thank YoughRiverGuide for his reports they have been my bible for fishing this river, thanks man I appreciate it.

Posted on: 2010/8/1 20:03

Re: Yough River, Fayette County August 1st

From Jefferson Hills, Pa
Welcome to "The Yough Club". Yes, it's a tough nut to crack but I enjoy the hell out of that river. Anywhere between Ramcat and Ohiopyle is fun. Skip the tailrace, its overstocked trash water.

Posted on: 2010/8/1 21:55

From The "Burgh"
One could compare the Yough to cocaine, one you try it or fish it your hooked, for good. Do you fish above ohiopyle a lot?

Posted on: 2010/8/2 10:36

From Pittsburgh
never tried the drug, but that's what the yough is like...it's a blessing and a curse!

Posted on: 2010/8/2 10:39

It's tough on the knees.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 12:28

From The "Burgh"
Yeah me neither, but I hear it's a one time hook. I mean the last two times I fished the Yough I caught plenty of smallmouth in the 8 to 12 inch range, but no trout with any size. Granted I did catch around 10 fingerlings each time out and I am by no means above a day with nothing but small trout. I was starting to wonder where the hell the larger ones went, it made my weekend for sure.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 15:36

From Montgomery County
I've always caught tons of fingerlings in the mile or so above the falls and the few hundred yards below the Castleman Confluence, while few, if any, on the rest of the river. I've caught nice trout in both areas, but there's been times when you can't keep the small guys off and it can ruin the fishing.

Looking back, those were probably the days I should have been throwing a silver streamer...

Posted on: 2010/8/2 15:52

From The "Burgh"
yeah I feel ya

Posted on: 2010/8/2 15:56

From The "Burgh"
By the way, when i caught that trout I pulled an Iaconnelli and screamed, all of the rafters just stared at me, but who cares.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 15:59

From Jefferson Hills, Pa
Sid, as per your post above. My brother and I generally fish above Ohiopyle most Saturdays. Either real early to be ahead of the raft traffic or late afternoon (say 4PM till dark) when the rubber hatch dies down. This week we might fish below Ramcat. We haven't fished that stretch for about 4 years. Should be fun to fish water I haven't fished in quite a while. If you fish Ohiopyle regularly, we'll probably run in to each other sooner or later. Good luck on your quest for that big fish. It will happen. Good Luck, Matt.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 19:22

Fished tonight well below Ohiopyle. Caught tons of smaller fish on top, felt like I was fishing a brook trout stream. Hope all these smaller fish live for a few years!

www.grobe33.blogspot.com

Posted on: 2010/8/2 21:43

From The "Burgh"
Matt, we might, I am fishing there this thursday and hope to do well. I'll keep ya updated.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 22:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com