Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Yough, Fayette and Somerset 8/27/09 – 8/28/09

From Washington County
08/27/09
Fished below Cucumber Falls from 12:00pm – 3:00pm. Temps had to be pushing 70 but I did not have a thermometer. Saw crane flies and yellow sallies in very small numbers on the river but no risers. Started with a stonefly nymph and caddis larva with no takers. Switched to a #6 olive and white double bunny steamer and had some action with smallies, but nothing over 14”.

Fished below Ramcat Access from 4:00pm – 7:30pm. Temp at Ramcat gauge was 66 and falling. Did not see any bug activity or risers. Fished a series of riffles that lead to a long flat stretch. Caught a mix of brownies and rainbows nymphing the heads of the riffles, but didn’t land anything over 12”. Saw many crayfish claws in the slow water near to shore. Switched to a #6 bugger and # 6 crayfish rig and hooked into what appeared to be a very large fish. When the indicator stopped I thought I was hung up. I set the hook and there was no movement for a few seconds. The fish took off towards the opposite bank then came back towards me. At this point the fly worked out of the fish. I never got to see the fish or the fly taken, because it stayed deep in the heavy water.

08/28/09
Fished up and down from SR 381 bridge in Ohiopyle from 9:00am – 12:00pm. Rain and fatigue drove me off the river earlier than expected. Caught rainbow fingerlings on tandem nymph rigs. Switched to large streamers to keep the fingerlings off but did not have any takers. There were schools of fingerlings following my streamers. This is the only section of river I catch fingerlings. Is this the main fingerling stocking point?

Do not take alcohol into Ohiopyle SP Campground. The rangers enforce the park harder than any State Park I have visited. I had 5 Delirium Nocturnum with dinner in Ohiopyle before going back to camp.

While I was sitting at the campfire I noticed a flashlight shining into my Jeep. I got up to approach the individual and it was the ranger. The five 8.5% beers did not help my interaction with the ranger. He warned me that alcohol is not allowed in the park and said he will keep an eye on me. Sure enough he came back in an hour and made me turn off The Allman Bros in the middle of Mountain Jam. He searched my entire car and campsite for alcohol. Good thing I did not take alcohol back to the campground.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 21:23

Re: Yough, Fayette and Somerset 8/27/09 – 8/28/09

From Malvern USA
Aaaaahhhhh Delerium! Nocturnum and Tremens. Throw a little Lucifer into the mix and you have a perfect evening!

Posted on: 2009/8/29 21:28

you probably should of offered him a drink!

Posted on: 2009/8/30 0:41

From Enola, Pa.
No alcohol!

We won't be having any Jams there anytime soon

PaulG

Posted on: 2009/8/30 6:56

From Pgh
Buggy,
A couple of years ago, I had a friend who camped in Ohiopyle State Park with a bunch of his buddies. It was kind of a bachelor party since he was getting married two weeks later. Before he left, I suggested he change his plans and camp outside of the park at Scarlett Knob or someplace else. I knew how strict they were with alcohol from personal experience. He didn't heed my warning, went and got drunk, rowdy and nearly arrested. He ended up with hundreds of dollars in fines and moving to Scarlett Knob the next night anyway. They are VERY strict. I guess it's a good thing. It is a great campground for families.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 9:06

From Greensburg, PA
I know a bunch of guys who floated he Yough with the idea of fly fishing from their rafts. Then they all hung their buddy out to dry when the Ranger caught him with the bag of empties when all he did was try to dispose of them properly. Its a stupid rule.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 11:18

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Quote:
I know a bunch of guys who floated he Yough with the idea of fly fishing from their rafts. Then they all hung their buddy out to dry when the Ranger caught him with the bag of empties when all he did was try to dispose of them properly. Its a stupid rule.

Speaking as the buddy who was hung out to dry.

1) It is a stupid rule.

2) I had help from my buddies paying the fine so I didn't feel so bad about being the one "left holding the bag". It would have been silly for several of us to get fined. I would rather pay the fine than leave a bag of beer cans stashed in the weeds.

Our group in no way disturbed any other folks on the river that day, but apparently several groups felt compelled to report our group to the rangers as being in violation of the no alcohol policy. May have been the guides/consessionaires who turned us in, these folks seem to have an undue burden in helping to enforce this policy.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 11:31

From Greensburg, PA
wow, I didn't know anyone actually tattled on you guys. That's really low and petty. I wasn't going to get that specific with the story.. I figured the inside joke would be enough. Way to take one for the team...

Posted on: 2009/8/30 13:19

From Room 109
Albatross is a good man ! We were busted hard core. The ranger was waiting for us. There we spotters on the river for sure. Lesson learned.

Posted on: 2009/9/5 0:59

From Monessen, PA
Here is the lesson I learned:

Put your empties back in the cooler with the lid latched. The ranger never checked my cooler, which had full half the rest of the empty cans packed away. Do not give permission to search inside closed containers.

Posted on: 2009/9/5 5:26

From Dallastown, PA
I stayed there a month ago for rafting. Two nights. There were some college students across from us. 4 girls 2 guys. Cont very "Campy" people. Anyway, me, my wife and three daughters never had the ranger stop at our site. However, he did stop at the youn folks site SEVERAL times, one time at 11:00pm when they were at the campfire with a radio on. The area was not well populated with campers either and twe were at our campfire also with my girls having some girly conversations that were very much noisier thea theirs. They were not bothering anyone.

my wife and I consumed 12 cans of beer during our stay.

It helps to have kids. It doesn't help to be a young adult or in a group of guys.

Its no wonder that campground is empty.....

On the other hand, I've stayed at Ole Bull years ago and did similar camping except with my brother during strictly flyfishing excursions. Had beer, even bought beer with the ranger next to me in the bar and he full well knew I was heading back to the CG. He simply told me to keep it low that the ranger on duty was strict. Never saw that one either at our site.

Posted on: 2009/9/5 7:38

From Pgh
The thing about Ohiopyle is, of course, the water -- big, fast and dangerous. Add alcohol and you're without doubt asking for trouble. I have a hard time wading in the Yough's faster water when I'm sober. After a few beers, I would be committing suicide. Rafting is even worse because you are in the middle of the worse water and jeopardizing other people. I can understand and even appreciate the rangers' strictness, even at a campground.

Posted on: 2009/9/5 10:23

I second that, greenghost. There are too many people down there already who are dangerous sober.

Posted on: 2009/9/5 22:34

From Pittsburgh
Someone drowned in the yough lake - I think their boat capsized - just last week.
And earlier this summer, someone got swept over the falls in ohiopyle and drowned, after swimming just above them when the river was too high
It seems like almost every year, someone drowns while rafting the white water section

Posted on: 2009/9/6 8:22

From Greensburg, PA
Perhaps you have hard the phrase, "You can't fix stupid..." Common sense is the key to preservation. The guy fell out of the boat. And the guy at the falls was swimming to close the falls. Damn shame but preventable.

Posted on: 2009/9/6 11:36

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com