Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yough, Fayette County, 10-24-09

After a long hike in, I was on the water about 8:00am. My first few casts were at the mouth of a small tributary that is known to have a few brook trout. I was able to hook one on a size 10 black woolly bugger that was released quickly at my feet. I then tried my luck on the Yough.

The air temperature was in the low 50’s and the fishing was slow going for the first few hours. I was mostly throwing wooly buggers and was not seeing any action. By early morning, the wind picked up and leaves started to fill the river. Almost on every cast was catching the elusive leaf fish. My luck changed when I spotted a rainbow feeding just a few feet from the rock I was perched up on. I tied on a bead head prince and was able to entice the fish to strike. By my best guess, it measured 16-inches. I was able to land one more 16-inch bow on a black wooly bugger. After fighting the leaves and a few rain showers, I decided to call it a day and head to Meadow Run.

On Meadow Run I was able to land one more fish on a black wooly bugger and missed more then I care to admit. But one fish in particular has me shaking by head. I observed a nice sized brown come to the top and slurp a fly. I was not sure what it was, but I tried a size 20 BWO and that was the ticket. The fish toke the fly with in seconds of hitting the water and the fight was on. But, my disappointment began when he jumped out of the water and tossed my fly. I am accustomed to missing fish, but this has been bothering me since it happened.

All and all, it was a great day to be out to see all of the fall colors. Both bodies of water were ideal in color and flow level, but I could of done without the leaves.

Fish count
2 rainbows (16-inches)
1 brown (12-inches)
1 brook (>6-inches)

Posted on: 2009/10/25 20:02

Re: Yough, Fayette County, 10-24-09

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Don't beat yourself up on a fish tossing a hook. When a fish exits the water they have a direct impact on tension of the line. There is either slack in the line, or it gets too tight. Especially if you use barbless hooks, the fly may come loose in mid air or when he lands. The best advice I heard is to "bow" to the fish when he jumps to help reduce the chance of the tossed hook. It happens a lot with rainbows, and especially steelhead so you have to be prepared. I, however, just usually get awestruck by a jumping fish and forget to bow and just hope the fly doesn't shoot out of his lip.

Good day on the stream!

Ryan

Posted on: 2009/10/26 10:49

I don't want to get bashed for talking Montana again but-
about 15yrs ago my nephew was coming out to fish with me so I decided to check the Missouri to see if the spawning run was on.
Nothing for the first hour then at the lip of a good hold a fish hit and went straight in the air.Huge leap and since it was far and away the biggest fish I ever hooked on a trout stream I froze.It landed and was gone-haunted me ever since-
well over ten pounds
not a brown or rainbow but appeared to be some kind of salmon-two big to be a kokanee[sp]..
For years I wondered-"what the h--- was it".
Probably something fish and game was experimenting with in Canyon Ferry lake and had run up to spawn-
those experiences last a lot longer then the memory of a fish landed.lol

Posted on: 2009/10/26 18:29

I have to agree that some of the most lasting memories are of fish that could have been. Thinking back on past fishing trips, it is often easier to remember the fish that got away. For me, it is the very large brown that I lost at my feet (well over 25"), the musky that would not strike my fly (over 40") and the large mouth that wrapped me around a log.

Of course the fish is always bigger if you do not bring it to hand

Posted on: 2009/10/26 18:54

Ryan

Thanks for the tips. I often get "trout fever" when I see the fish launch itself into the air. I am not sure if I will remember to "bow", but I will sure try. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2009/10/26 18:58

From Monessen, PA
By the way, just to save you from stares if there are others around, when "bowing" to the jumping fish, there is no reason to also tip your hat. What is meant is dropping the rod tip to impart a bit of extra slack to the line between you and the fish.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 15:21

-- Leo Tolstoy

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com