Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yellow Creek FFO, Bedford County 5/01/2009

From Pittsburgh

Water Conditions: High and off-color (visibilty about 1-ft or so)

Weather: Cool and Partly sunny in the afternoon, while we fished.

The weather cooperated and we had a beautiful afternoon - the forecasted thunderstorms didn't show up. The water was fairly high and discolored - but that didn't stop the rising fish. I was initially worried about the water conditions - but the first hole we got to was full of rising fish so my worries soon abated.

Bug Activity consisted primarily of caddis. There were at least two caddis coming off: One was about a size 14 to 16 with a gereally tan appearance. The other was a more like a 16 or 18 dark looking caddis. I can't give more detail about the bugs because I was never able to catch one for a close-up look.

The three of us caught rising fish all afternoon on a variety of caddis imitations - I had the most luck with elk-hair caddis in size 14. I caught fish on tan, gray and yellow body flies. Tan seemed to be the best choice - but I quickly lost the few tan bodied caddis that I had and I had to improvise.

I wish I could nail down the best pattern for you all - but I used a bunch of different caddis dries - with hits on just about anything that was generally light colored. Tan being the best.

I also caught fish on a small black caddis dry, and a peacock and partridge wet fly.

One of the fellows with me had a bunch of takes on what I think was originally a size 12 Gray Wulff dry. He trimmed off the tail, most of the hackle and most of the elk hair wings. What he had left was a gray-bodied emerger type fly (the body was suspended beneath the surface). This fly was actually very effective on the rising trout and it also was effective as a prospecting fly, bringing trout to the surface in spite of the muddy high water.

Here's a pic of a typical fish that we were catching - this one had a nice blue color on the gill plates.

Attach file:

jpg  DSCN7270.JPG (65.15 KB)
715_49fdd415554a4.jpg 500X269 px

Posted on: 2009/5/3 13:28

Re: Yellow Creek FFO, Bedford County 5/01/2009
From Monessen, PA
Thanks for your report. Properly titled and containing information useful to other anglers. Still interesting and enjoyable to read. If more folks followed your lead, my job would be much easier.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 6:34

Re: Yellow Creek FFO, Bedford County 5/01/2009

From Pittsburgh
JackM,

Thanks for the feedback!

Posted on: 2009/5/4 8:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com