Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yellow Creek FFO, Bedford County 4/10/2008

From Pittsburgh
Fished Yellow Creek for the first time yesterday from 3:30 - 7:30. First of all, a huge "Thank You" to the landowners, clubs and individuals who help take care of this section - it is a great place!

Air temp was 70, clear skies and sunny - did not take a water temp but it was cold and water flow seemed good. Met some nice fishermen from Indiana PA in the parking lot who were very helpful. Sporadic hatches of caddis and small mayflies (BWO?) throughout the afternoon, caddis got heavier toward the end of the evening.

This was my first time to YC and first time out this year, I was a bit rusty and missed a nice trout in the first few casts on a size 18 BH Prince. Did catch a creek chub on it though.

Moved up stream and switched to a 16 EHC with a black/green body and, being rusty, missed about 4 good rises and several long distance releases but managed a nice 12" trout.

Walked up to the big pool where the trail pretty much ends and had a very nice fish snap the leader on a white wooly bugger. Very few risers in that pool, switched back to EHC. Walked back downstream to increased caddis activity but almost no risers.

Nice afternoon on a great stream and I look forward to returning.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 11:20

Re: Yellow Creek FFO, Bedford County 4/10/2008

flyski-

Is the new driveway completed to the parking lot??

The new way in (further upstream- up the road further near a big bend) is longer to the lot and was pretty rough a few weeks ago but I know Fred and Co. have been working on it.

paul

Posted on: 2008/4/11 18:01

From Pittsburgh
Paul,
Yes, the new driveway is completed and is much shorter. I came in on the longer road, it has been recently fixed up with some new gravel and was in pretty good shape.
Paul

Posted on: 2008/4/12 9:35

From Monessen, PA
Where is this lot? Looking upstream from the bridge at the bottom of the special regs area, is it to the right or left? When I visit the special regs, I park to the left on the roadside opposite the driveway to the couple houses that sit along the creek. I'd rather use a designated lot, particularly if the landowners would encourage that.

Posted on: 2008/4/13 10:37

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Jack,

Its to the right looking upstream. Here's a picture...

In the past the access road was not well marked. There is a brand new access road which will hopefully be well marked.

Attach file:

jpg  Yellow Creek Lot.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/4/13 14:40

From Monessen, PA
Thanks. I think I saw the access road last time I was there. That looks like a pretty convenient location for the lower portion of the special regs area.

Posted on: 2008/4/13 15:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com