Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yellow Breeches Creek, Cumberland County, 8/2/2013

From Fairfield, PA
Stream was clear, 60 degrees, sunny day, with slight breeze. Fished from 0900 to 1330. Took nice rainbow in pool at the end of the regulation area on a green beetle. Several strikes, between the wood house and the storage building, on a pheasant tail. Nymphing is new to me, so I missed. Took two more in pool right below the dam on pheasant tail and a san juan worm. Fish were still rising there to something I could not identify, but it was very small.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/8/2 15:50

Re: Yellow Breeches Creek, Cumberland County, 8/2/2013

From Dauphin PA
You probably caught the tail end of the tricos.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 21:34

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Fished the breeches a few hours after you. When i first got there fish were still taking terrestrials. Soon they were chasing something to the surface but could not determine what. not alot of risers. I went subsurface with a sucker spawn and caught 8 fish with in an hour, including a brown that was about 4 lbs! nice evening to be out the temps were perfect. No white fly signs this evening

Posted on: 2013/8/3 0:13

From Fairfield, PA
Sadly, my fishing time is limited to when the fish are not really feeding, but on the YB you can still catch fish, even in the afternoon, which is why I tend to go there. You do have to work harder for them, but that is OK. At 8:00, there are still a number of people on the stream, but soon after, I have it all to myself. They start showing up again as I am leaving.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/8/3 8:18

From Cleona, Pa
Just curious, is there a lot of fish by the allenberry? I fished it today and wasn't much going on. Struggled to get 3. Some were rising on something microscopic.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 20:27

From Fairfield, PA
jkilroy: When were you there? There a plenty of fish at Allenberry, but they are not easy. In my experience, three is not bad, but again it depends on the time of day. It also depends on if you were fishing the chute, the deep water (midges) above the dam, or below the dam. Others may have different opinions, but those are mine. I like the deep water and below the dam. Not a fan of the chute.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/8/4 21:26

From Chester County
Quote:
jkilroy wrote:
Just curious, is there a lot of fish by the allenberry? I fished it today and wasn't much going on. Struggled to get 3. Some were rising on something microscopic.

Ed Koch wrote an entire book ("Fishing the Midge") on fishing and tying midges, mostly from his experience fishing the Yellow Breeches. Just about 365, you can find trout midging in front of Allenberry.....go small or go home....

Give it a try....it's fun.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 7:02

From Fairfield, PA
Afisinado: Good advice on going "small". The deep water, above the dam requires it. When I see the fish rise fast, stop, look at the fly and drop back down, I know I have the right one, but need to go one smaller.

I met a gentleman standing by the YB, at the picnic table one evening. He started telling me how to know when the white fly hatch was about to start. The next day I was glancing at a book about fishing midges and realized I had been talking to Ed Koch himself. Bought the book and am glad I did.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/8/5 7:41

From Cleona, Pa
I tried below the dam, didn't work out so hot. Even tried my 22 zebras in several different colors. I don't think I was getting down deep enough. Have to work on that spot. Caught my 3 all one after another a little below the big log that is on the shore in little deeper riffles on a 20 walts.

That was my only 2nd time there also. I knew small had to be the ticket.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 21:25

From Cleona, Pa
Can you wade above the dam? Also how deep is the water at the chute?

Posted on: 2013/8/5 21:30

From Dallastown, PA
You can wade above the dam its about 3-4' deep tho and you may need to hike up your vest or chest pack. I have had good days fishing small drys to the many sipping risers from the dam up to the moving water.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 23:59

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy
I want to catch every fish in the stream
50 dinks is a dream day
Only want to catch big fish
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens
Who cares? It beats work.
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com