Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yellow Breeches, Cumberland County, 2/23/13

From York, PA
I fly fished the Yellow Breeches today from 2pm until 5pm. Air temp low 40's and the creek was up a bit (I didn't take a water temp), but still nice and clear.

I fished the Run and downstream to the dam. This was my first time fly fishing for trout in over a month. My new waders arrived yesterday, and I must say that I was dry and comfy!

A few midges were happening, and some trout were rising for them. The guy fishing next to me said he was using size 30 midges (dry parachute and droppers) but the trout just wouldn't hit his flies. He said a size 50 would be about right! LOL

I landed 3 and rolled another 3. High Sticking with a heavy nymph was the only thing that worked for me today. I caught everything on a tungsten realistic stonefly nymph, size 14. Slow and deep on the bottom ..... I tried tiny Zebras under a indicator, and slow streamers - not even a touch!

Yellow Breeches was just stocked last week, and there are dozens of trout in every pool. I saw a awful lot of small suckers also.

It was so much fun to go out trout fishing again. I'm so sick of talkin' politics and soul music on the OT forum. Only six days until March!!

PS - Spin fishing is still allowed in the C&R with metal, plastic, and rubber (that includes almost everything) but I didn't see any spin guys today!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Posted on: 2013/2/23 21:45

Re: Yellow Breeches, Cumberland County, 2/23/13

From Parkesburg
The spin guys usually complain that there is too many damn fly fisherman wading on top of fish there.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 12:48

From Lewisberry, PA
my buddy got into a rather heated argument with a FFer on the breeches two weeks ago. the guy pretty much tore him a new one for spin fishing

Posted on: 2013/2/25 13:51

From New Cumberland
Why that are isn't isn't FFO, who knows??

Posted on: 2013/2/25 17:06

From Gettysburg
Quote:

STONEMAN wrote:
Why that are isn't isn't FFO, who knows??

It was FFO originally.
It was switched to Artificial Lures C&R in the early 80s as part of a consolidation of special regulation areas. I see spin guys there fairly frequently - usually it's young fellas and usually this time of year. They tend to fish more at the upper section and on The Run. I'm glad they're there and I'm happy seeing these (often teenagers) out enjoying a day of fishing. Many of these young fellas will transition to FFing as they advance in their evolution as trout anglers.
Over the course of a season, however, it's mostly FFers on the YB reg water.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 17:52

From York, PA
Quote:

Gone_Phishin wrote:
my buddy got into a rather heated argument with a FFer on the breeches two weeks ago. the guy pretty much tore him a new one for spin fishing

The only reason the "fly" guys complain is because the spin guys catch ten times more than the fly guys!

Does your buddy usually wear a blue sweat shirt and a tan cap? A young guy who is kinda friendly?

My waders arrived Friday, so Sat 23rd I hit the Breeches with my Helios 3wt and lots of great flies. I caught 3 (hours of fishing for the freshly stocked stockies) and my expert dry fly friend didn't catch anything. That spin guy with the blue top caught 10 trout while he was just below us! When he walked by, I said "Hey, spin guy, did you catch those trout on inline spinners" (I saw him casting and reeling to keep the spinner off the bottom). I said "congratulations, dude, you put on a clinic for us today"

I posted a stream report Sat night, and Sun I went back to the Breeches with my UL spin rod. I "nailed" the trout..... big time (too many to count) soft plastics with super thin NanoFil is better than live bait!

Most of the guys who fish the Breeches are wonderful anglers who fish for fun and they don't hate the spin guys. The couple elitist whiners only say that because they fish all day and usually can't catch anything! ...... they think "if only we could stop the spin guys, then I might be able to catch a trout"

PS - The Yellow Breeches C&R is so packed with trout, I think any spin or fly guy could catch quite a few?

Posted on: 2013/2/25 22:13

From Lewisberry, PA
1wt,
That could have been my buddy but the reason I know it wasnt was that he didnt catch any fish the day he went out.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 7:52

From Gamehendge
Quote:

Gone_Phishin wrote:

Was it Bob?

Seen a spin guy on my local stream yesterday. Seemed like he was lost. Walked right past a whole riffle section that can hold some nice fish. Made my way up to where he was fishing. He was using some kind of chartreuse spinner. Did t see him catch anything. I turned 3 nice fish an idratherbephishin caught a nice high teens bow.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 9:42

1wt, I haven't heard of Nanofil before. I looked it up on-line- from the ad copy, it sounds like good tippet material.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 19:43

From York, PA
Quote:

barbless wrote:
1wt, I haven't heard of Nanofil before. I looked it up on-line

Yeah, it's the newest super line. The NanoFil I use is a translucent (you don't need a flouro tippet) and the 2lb test is .002 diameter. That's the thinnest line in the world.

Longest casting also. No memory, and no stretch at all. It's actually better than Power Pro.

But for leader, it has no memory, so it won't turn over your fly. I would say a spool of fluorocarbon is a much better deal for a fly rod.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 23:29

From Lewisberry, PA
It sure was Bob. He'll have to tell you the story next time you see him. He was convinced it was one of our buddies.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 8:07

From Dauphin
Hmm everytime I've seen spin guys on breeches they haven't caught anything. Not that it really matters. Last year me and phish had about four spin guys watching in awe as we reeled one after another there. Nice guys!

Posted on: 2013/2/27 9:59

From Gamehendge
1wt- looks like that second brown is wild to me.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 10:07

From Gamehendge
Quote:

Gone_Phishin wrote:
It sure was Bob. He'll have to tell you the story next time you see him. He was convinced it was one of our buddies.

Convinced it was one of our buddies yellin at him?

Posted on: 2013/2/27 10:08

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com