Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yellow Breeches, Cumberland Co, 5/4/13

Fished the upper breeches from about 5-8PM. I was surprised at how narrow the creek gets the farther you go up. I also had a hard time finding a stretch to fish, as the water seemed to run through some back yards. After driving around for a while, I found a small pulloff, and threw on the waders.
Got down to the water, and liked what I saw. Water was running very nice, maybe a tad off color. Beautiful warm day, and my thermometer (hand in water) felt fishy. Made my first drift and something smacked my #16 parachute bwo! Only thing i connected with was the damn tree behind me. Ended up with a tangle from hell. Rerigged and what do you know, I missed an eyelid. Not a quality start to the evening, although I'm sure we've all been there.
I started to notice some random caddis and mayflies coming off along with midges. Nothing was coming up to eat tho. Decided to fish a dry dropper using my #16 BWO 'chute and a #18 uv hares ear. Started hooking up w/ some chunky stocker 'bows on the nymph. Nothing came to the dry, so after 20 mins or so I switched up again. Indie rig, using the trusty #14 hares ear, trailed by a #20 bwo emerger I tied that morning.
Immediately picked up another rainbow. By this time, I was satisfied with the trip and considered it successful. Decided to work the small stretch I fished the dry with the indie rig. On my second drift, I hooked up with a beautiful wild brown. This was the reason I made the drive to CV. What made it better was it ate the #20 fly that I tied on saying "We'll see if these F'in things work". I usually don't tie too many flies this small other than zebra midges.
Throughout the evening, I landed 6 or so rainbows, and the brown. Last week further downstream I got 6 on dries. All wild browns, NO stockers. I'm curious if they recently stocked the upper section??? Here's a pic of the brown, and my lil bwo emerger (which only caught that one fish btw).

Here's the brown
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r ... /DSCN0377_zpsee425e22.jpg

This is what he ate
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r ... Emerger20_zpsa9e2aee2.jpg

Happy Cinco de Mayo gentlemen

Posted on: 2013/5/5 10:56

Re: Yellow Breeches, Cumberland Co, 5/4/13

From Virginia/SWPA
Nice, I like going after the wild browns

Posted on: 2013/5/7 10:15

~Irish proverb~

Nice fly and nice pic of the fly - looks like CDC with a nymph body.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 16:35

Thank you Ned. Just pheasant tail for the tail/abdomen, some copper wire for a rib, peacock ice dub, and cdc for a wingcase. In this particular fly, the ends of the cdc split on me and came out looking like batwings instead of the more traditional wing i was going for. Still worked out pretty good, so oh well

Posted on: 2013/5/10 18:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com