Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Yellow Breeches, Cumberland Co. 12/19/10

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Its the Herons. The run is very shallow and I always see a heron working it in the evenings. They take alot of fish and I think there is evidence to support this.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 22:30

I would think it is a combination of many or all of the things mentioned that is the answer. Poaching, conditions, Herons and habitat. Any by itself would not cause the pretty much total loss of fish. In my opinion some habitiat improvement is the answer to getting fish back in the Run on a consistant basis. I dont think all the fish are eaten by Herons or poached. Many move into the main creek due to poor habitat. If the habitat is good the fish will stay. Some deeper water with holding areas will make it possible to stay out of the way of the Herons, and not be visible to the poachers. I am pretty confident the water quality is good and the food is there so that makes good habitat holdinng areas as the need.

Bill A

Posted on: 2010/12/29 6:56

From Dallastown, PA
How has the habitat degraded? It had "improved" several years ago when the deflectors were added.... perhaps the eradication of the Japanese knotweed had a little to do with it. The removal of streamside vegetation and and therefor cover puts fish at risk of predation.

This would be a good candidate for a residency study.....

but to do so you would have to stock fish in there.

I still say that the reason for the lack of fish inthe run is it is not stocked like it used to be.....lots were stocked, lots of people used the run, there was little opportunity for predators and poaching because of the traffic.

Now with less fish stocked, there are less people, more opportunity for poaching and predators and its a shadow of itself.

FI, what is the previous and present stocking numbers and by whom? Not looking for dates or conjecture, just want to know if the numbers have significantly decreased. I think this is where the answers lie.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 9:16

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
FI, what is the previous and present stocking numbers and by whom? Not looking for dates or conjecture, just want to know if the numbers have significantly decreased. I think this is where the answers lie.

I don't know. It's been a few years since I've participated in stocking YB. Unfortunately, the PFBC doesn't advertise fish numbers for pre-season stocking anymore. Moreover, the fish stocked in the Run are usually part of the allocation for the YB reg water and how many went into the Run was a bit at the wim of the guys stocking. I remember a few years ago a bunch were dumped into the Run due to ice down at the confluence with the main stem YB. And of course, the area gets additional stocking from the YBA club throughout the season and specially for the youth camp in June. Maybe someone here on the forum who's a member of the YBA can provide specific numbers.
While there may indeed be fewer fish, I don't think this explains why they disappear. Stocking numbers have been generally lower now for several years but the Run always held a decent number of fish until maybe two or three years ago. I didn't fish the main stem YB much this summer or fall due to conditions but there were plenty of fish in it last year and spring of 2010 so I don't think stocking is a problem. The YB is getting fish, they just don't stay in the Run.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 10:59

From Monessen, PA
I think the run became so popular as a fish hangout that none of them want to go there anymore because of the crowding.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 11:23

From South Central PA
The fish certainly are not hanging out in the flats above the bridge like they used to. But I have had some luck win the faster water, right out of the spillway.

The habitat around the bridge certainly seems to have degraded recently, with shallower water and less overhead cover.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 22:13

From Mechanicsburg, PA
Interesting though after all those bushes and what got cut down the run changed.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 17:23

From SW PA
Although I've not been there in the last few years, I'll add what i can to this disscussion. When I fisrt fished the Breeches, maybe '83 or '84 I remember there being a small Dam just above the bridge, that created a plunge pool that was deep enough that you could not see every fish in it. Can anyone else confirm what my memory is telling me? I don't have any pictures that far back... One of my mentors had said go to the Breeches and fish a deer hair beetle. I got to the run, put on the perscribed fly and actually never made it as far as the Breeches proper!

The last time I was there 3-4 years ago there were people everwhere. I remember one or two fishermen standing IN the run, casting with Guides at there side pointing out the fish.

Has anyone every studied the impact of wading in such small waterways? It just seems to be a place were getting much more than your boot soles wet is over kill. Maybe I'll have to take a drive out there one day and see for myself. Seems too later for baseline data but I might as well try;)

Posted on: 2010/12/31 9:25

From Gettysburg
DaveS,
When you refer to a "dam just above the bridge" are you referring to the footbridge over the Run? There are several dams and bridges in or near the special reg sections of Yellow Breeches.

The Run hasn't changed appreciably. There is a very small dam - really just a large lip - at the footbridge on the Run that backs the water in front of it up to a depth of maybe a 20" or so. It was there in the 80s and is still there. There have always been large numbers of anglers who wade in the middle of the Run. I've always attributed this to out of state anglers, many of whom learned to FF out West or on bigger waterways. This is a stocked fishery so I don't think this wading has had any effect on trout populations. The fish have mostly disappeared in the last couple years or so. Fishing pressure, not surprisingly, has also dropped off with the disappearance of the trout.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 13:23

From SW PA
Fishidiot,
Yea, sorry I wasn't very clear. Pretty much right in front of where the pavillion is now, @ the parking lot on Boiling Spring Run. There was a wall to the right, A path down to the stream, I thought a small jack dam, and then the pool immediately above the foot bridge that you described. Jeeze I guess it's been so long now, I can't even trust my memory. But I could swear that the pool was pretty deep right there. If nothing else I hope I'm right about all the fish I caught!

Also my question regarding wading was in relation to boimass. I know a local stocked stream which is very heavily fished. Large cases caddis are common along it in early spring, yet by late April they seem to have vanished. I believe these are"Great Brown Autumn Sedges" (Pycnopsyche), and so should be present throughout summer. Maybe they just get kicked loose and all end up in deep water? I dunno, but lots of wading anglers; could it have an impact? Sorry this is getting pretty far off topic.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 17:33

To me it's simple, they are'nt stocking as many fish. The same goes for the main-stem down below. If you think that they are, you have'nt fished it enough lately, or, never fished it enough in the past.

The crowds are'nt as pervasive as before, with no complaint. Still there are fish and it is a nice lazy stream. It never made my list as a must destination, but it's some-what close and I've always had a nice feel for her.

It's funny how places like it will always reside and stay near and dear to your heart.....

Posted on: 2011/1/5 12:25

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com