Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Yellow Breeches (Allenberry), Cumberland Co, 6-29-13

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Fished the Breeches on Saturday. Started at the bottom of the fly area. Allenberry Section crowded as usually. Not much surface action so i resorted to junk files. Ended up with several browns and a nice bow. Moved above the mill dam and got surface action on beetles. Picked another nice bow on a sucker spawn but then the weather threaten to drench me. Made it to the car about 7 pm feeling somewhat cheated, but satisfied overall in the day's fishing.

Posted on: 2013/6/30 20:29

Edited by Fishidiot on 2013/7/1 8:37:04

Re: Yellow Breeches (Allenberry), Cumberland Co, 6-29-13
From Gettysburg
Did you get water temps?

Breeches is loaded with fish this year and has been fishing very well but temps were well over 70 a few days ago. Lately, the nights have been a bit cooler and the rain may have helped.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 8:39

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
I took a temperature in Allenberry, was about 68 degrees on the far side in the shade. Temperature cooler (67) above the mill dam on the North Bank.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 8:49

From South Jersey
I realize it draws crowds, and not a wild trout fishery, but it is a fun place to fish. And when I take my wife, we stop at the grille, which is not too bad.

Although they look like goldfish, I can't help but target those Palomino trout. They pull like a train. But I don't think they are doing so well in that environment. Last time I went 6/29, I did not see as many (but I only fished a few hours) and the one I did see, and caught, did not look so healthy.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 17:33

From Bel Air, MD
I remember when I was in high school, I drove up to the park there with my cousin and brother. I remember watching the people feed the fish and the ducks, right in that little chute that comes out below the little lake. That was long before I fly fished, but my brother was on college and had been fly fishing for a couple of years.

We made our way downstream a bit, and I was casting a little Rebel crayfish lure on an ultralight spinning rod. Somehow I coaxed one of those giant trout to eat it. Looking back, I would estimate that fish to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 24", but you know how your mind has a way of playing tricks on you. I remember yelling for my brother to come help me land the fish, worried that it would break off my $3 lure! That was almost 30 years ago.

I've never been back there to fish again, but I enjoy reading the posts. I'll have to give it a shot, maybe in the fall.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 22:45

From Southeastern Pa
was there today. not sure where but apparently you are trespassing at your own risk but fishing is permitted as per the BIG sign at the parking area.

didn't have much time before dark but landed one, apparently not wild, brown. Missed a bunch more all on a huge white wulff.

Temps were high for sure. If I had to guess they were in the 70's easily. I was fishing two spring creeks just an hour or so earlier and I was wet wading. The first stream was small but so cold it hurt! I temped that stream at 58 degrees! The next one is a well known spring creek and was slightly warmer. I did not temp but would say in the 65 degree area. The pissed-britches was way warm compared to these. It was nice to wade but definitely keep an eye on the temps if your going out there.

not many bugs to be found but on the one spring creek the fish were on the hopper!

Posted on: 2013/7/1 23:06

From Gettysburg
Quote:

hagman wrote:
I realize it draws crowds, and not a wild trout fishery, but it is a fun place to fish.

No doubt.
There are, however, some wild browns in Breeches and their numbers are increasing (dramatically according to some old time Breeches regulars with whom I've discussed this - others think it's less significant). The wild fish tend to be concentrated in certain areas and, not surprisingly, are more common in upstream areas. Nevertheless, the reg water has more these days than I can remember and I've fished this creek hard for 30 years. Last month I caught several tiny wild browns in The Run in a single afternoon and a couple more down at Allenberry in the pool at the pavilion.

BelairSteve,
The section where you caught the huge fish (if you didn't already know this) is what is commonly called The Run.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 7:34

From Southeastern Pa
temped the water at the top of "the run" where the water from children's lake comes in. in the spring water before the britches the temp is 62 degrees. directly across the stream in the breeches proper the water is 72 degrees. 150 yards downstream in the middle of the yellow breeches proper the temp was 70 degrees.

I know this is a very unscientific sampling but it gives you an idea of what is going on there.

Personally I think you're still alright fishing it but I would exercise some caution if you head out of "the run" area as I don't know where else the fish can find thermal refuge. The other thing to keep in mind is that you are mere minutes away from several spring creeks that are running in the mid to low 60's, have fish, and are fishing well right now.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 19:45

From Gettysburg
Quote:

TimRobinsin wrote:
in the spring water before the britches the temp is 62 degrees. directly across the stream in the breeches proper the water is 72 degrees. 150 yards downstream in the middle of the yellow breeches proper the temp was 70 degrees.
I know this is a very unscientific sampling but it gives you an idea of what is going on there.

This is very typical of the reg section of YB this time of year. Use your own best judgement.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 20:22

From Ephrata, PA
If it's 70, don't fish it. That's definitely my cut off temp. You might as well keep anything you catch if you're going to fish the stream when the water is that warm. Sounds like this stream could benefit from a "closed season" in the summer!

Posted on: 2013/7/2 20:34

From Southeastern Pa
I want it to be clear that I am not advocating/encouraging people to fish it right now.

I agree with Dave: If you go, use your best judgement.

I fished "the run" for 30 minutes and caught nothing. there was a gentleman above me at the confluence that was catching one right after another on nymphs. the little spring run coming out of the lake on the other hand...I had a lot of fun with those little (and some not so little) buggers. Even though there was no hatch I caught all on top or swinging wet Olives and one nice brownie on an Ausable Wulff #16. very fun but got old quickly plus there were some kids in the area and I wanted them to get a turn.

on a side note, to any dads or moms out there who might be looking for a place to take your kids or family picnicking/fishing this is the place. what a nice little area.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 22:09

From Carlisle
"Personally I think you're still alright fishing it but I would exercise some caution if you head out of "the run" area as I don't know where else the fish can find thermal refuge. The other thing to keep in mind is that you are mere minutes away from several spring creeks that are running in the mid to low 60's, have fish, and are fishing well right now."

Hello, New poster, just registered. Just curious which spring creeks you are referring to? I would appreciate any recommendations. I primarily fish the Breeches, and a bit on Big Spring and the Letort. Just moved to Carlisle. Are there other creeks I should be checking out?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/7/3 8:07

From SCPA
Quote:

concord9 wrote:

Hello, New poster, just registered. Just curious which spring creeks you are referring to? I would appreciate any recommendations. I primarily fish the Breeches, and a bit on Big Spring and the Letort. Just moved to Carlisle. Are there other creeks I should be checking out?

Thanks!

Concord9,
There are many spring creeks in the area that stay well cold enough to fish through the heat. Some are fished often and are well known (letort, big spring, falling spring, green spring, etc.). There are also quite a few others that are fished heavily early season or in stocked sections and ignored the rest of the time. I'd recommend a copy of Armstrong's book - you can probably get it through the library as well. This is a great guide to the local limestone streams, though there are still a few that even he missed - Those are my personal favorites!

Posted on: 2013/7/3 8:59

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
The book is out of print so I doubt you will find a copy for a reasonable price. Messiah College has a copy in its library. Google Books has several chapters as PDF's so it might be worth looking at.
The other small limestone spring streams in the area aren't worth fishing unless you want to kill a few hours. Most are so degraded that little if any populations of trout remain. I'd stick with the 3 main streams (Letort, Big Spring or Falling Springs). Clarks Creek has cold water and many miles of fishing. Tough fishing but trout are there.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 16:30

Quote:

albud1962 wrote:
The book is out of print so I doubt you will find a copy for a reasonable price.

Check Addall.com and Amazon and Alibris. There are copies listed for $19.94 to $25.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 18:51

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com