Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

YOUGHIOGHENY RIVER 8-25,8-26

Was'nt sure what expect last weekend as the flows on the USGS did not look to good due to the recent rains. My plan was to fish the Youghiogheny River but if it was blown out I would head to my local favorite freestoner. I thought if all else fails I could fish the Yough from where the Casselman River enters up to the dam if the freestoner was a mess too. The release was to be only 400 cfs for the weekend and should be much clearer than the rest of the river.

I arrived at Ramcat access at 730am on Sat. to a thick blanket of fog eveloping the river. I thought to myself damn, as I recalled a recent viedo I watched where Joe Humphries said "you can't catch fish where their is fog on the water". The river was running high so I opted for plan B and headed to a freestone stream to see if it was in any better shape. Also, this was only the second time I forgot my waders in my flyfishing career and the decision to head to the freestoner was an easy one as the water is about 59 near the dam.

The freestoner was high and off color but the water had been dropping for 3 days so I gave it a shot. I took a reading and the water was about 68. I caught several smallish trout both browns and rainbows all below. No risers in these waters. I did ok and was enjoying myself but thought I would give the Yough another try. Many hours had passed since my flyby at Ramcat earlier that day. The river had a chance to warm a bit and continued to drop as it had for 3 days.

So back at Ramcat access at 4pm I rigged my newest weapon a Winston Boron IIx 9'6 6wt and headed to the river. I found a likely spot and began to pick up several brook trout in the 10-12 inch range as well as several rainbows in the 12-16 inch range. T This was awesome, I mean to catch trout every couple of casts at the Yough, something special was happening for me. I have struggled mightly at the Yough on many earlier attempts,was I finally getting it? The fishing was easier than I expected and the water temps were pleasant. (read wading here) Whatever was happening I was enjoying it. This is exciting. Hours had passed and the nearly full moon appeared over the mountainous river valley when I decided I had better head back to the car.

I reeled in and struggled my way into the dark rock and weed garden along the bank. It was pitch dark as I fumbled my way through the forest and up the bank to the bike path(read no headlamp here). It was then that I realized that I had just lost the top two sections of my newest pride and joy. I was sick. Looking into the dark I new I had to come back at first light and start the search. This meant an unscheduled but welcomed stay at a local motel as I was now exhausted. As I slogged back to the car, I felt confident I would find the other half of my rod in the morning.

The next morning I was back at Ramcat put my remaining two pieces of the rod together and headed out. I was so confident I was going to find the missing pieces I did not even bother to rid a different rod. As I began the search, my confidence was eroded as the 2 million sticks scattered around the area of my exit from the night prior all looked like the two top sections of a Winston rod.
Well, I figured I would at least still get some early morning fishing and made another long slog back to the car to retrieve a SAGE 9' 5wt complete with all sections. Rigged in minutes, here I was again walking back to the disaster area where my lost pieces. Thinking the sections would probably end up in McKeesport by spring. Anyhow, back the fishing. I used the same setup as the night before and again was into fish. This was gratifying after dealing with my bonehead mistakes earlier. Again, I did well and by 11am the fishing had slowed and I decided to call it a weekend. As I made it to the bank, I figured I would give it one more shot to look for the missing rod sections. I retraced my steps as best I could while in the back of my mind knowing that if a branch caught one of my guides it could have flung the sections 10ft from my path. Well, as fought my way through the brush and turned my head to avoid a branch there they were. About two inches from my face hanging there in a small branch was the other half of my rod. YES!!!! I praised and thanked GOD for finging the missing peices. It was Sunday morning afterall. I think I skipped back to the car!!!!

I have photo's but after 3 tries at posting I have given up.

Posted on: 2007/8/28 11:11

Re: YOUGHIOGHENY RIVER 8-25,8-26
From Monessen, PA
Nothing beats a happy ending. I was up in the area Sunday. Fished the tailrace from noon until about 430 pm, then went down toward Ramcat. I didn't have the same kind of luck as you, but did get to test my spent-wing hexagenia spinner on a couple risers. Both fell for the tie. One got off after a very short fight. The other was not as fortunate. He got hooked in the lower gill and lost a pint or two. Sorry little fella.

Posted on: 2007/8/28 11:54

Re: YOUGHIOGHENY RIVER 8-25,8-26

FYI- SOME PHOTO'S ARE POSTED UNDER THE STREAM lOCATION LINK

Posted on: 2007/8/28 14:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com