Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

West Branch Perkiomen Creek, Berks Co, 11/19/2012

From LV
Monday November 19, 2012 Clear Cloudless day, water temp 46, air temp 50.
After spending the weekend at Foxgap's Camp, George and I decided to fish on the way home. On the way I took him to Nescopeck Creek just to show him where it was so he could find it later. There were a lot of hunters out so we didn't want to fish there. We move on to our original destination, West Branch Perkiomen Creek.

We arrived at about 1:30 and I poked around at the bridge looking for redds while my friend George fished the first run above the bridge. He was using a streamer and didn't pickup any trout. Meanwhile, my inspection of the water beneath the rt. 100 bridge revealed a few redds. I joined George and found more redds as I walked up from the bridge. I also cast several times into the water he just fished and caught a nice 9-inch trout in the head of the first pool under the willows.

At the tail out of the next pool there were at least 12 redds. We fished up from there, George on the left and I on the right. I caught a 7 inch fish, George caught none, but we both had rises. The log deflectors are doing what they are meant to do, deepen the water and protecting the bank. There are plenty of trees growing all along the banks on both sides. The banks seem in pretty good shape, in spite of several high water events.
That's not to say there's no impact, but the impact wasn't dire.

Back to fishing. The big sycamore pool yielded 4 trout, all between 7 and 9 inches. I cast a royal wulff into the tongue of the run flowing into the pool and immediately hooked and LDR'd an 11-inch trout. We move up passed the Brooklyn Bridge and I noticed that the erosion at the cattle crossing has stopped and in fact a gravel bar had formed there on the left side. The owner was concerned about the eroded bank at the crossing, again I think our worked passed muster. Further up, at the first series of log deflectors we installed, there was a deepening of the channel and the banks had widened. All along the way we saw more spawning beds.

The water was deepened under the logs at all locations. But the creek yielded no trout there. At the next two series of logs the banks had widened and the water deepened. All along the way there was spawning activity. Under the first grove of big trees there were a couple of trout rising, we stung one and spooked the other. The trout seemed to quit taking flies by around 3:00. There were no more rises and no more were caught. However, we did fish up to above the end of the property and I was shocked at the flood damage there. I don't think I want to do anything except fix the fences where the rest of the damage is, but I'll talk to Longacre and see what he thinks.
All out work has held up to significant storms. That pleases me.

Foxgap on West Branch Perkiomen

West Branch Perkiomen Brown

Posted on: 2012/11/25 14:33

Edited by Fishidiot on 2012/11/26 9:36:17

Re: West Branch Perkiomen Creek Nov. 19

Nice report and glad to see those improvements have held up to the pounding over the last several months. The trout will def benefit over the years to come. Al's Rat always produces there for me.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 18:03

From Gettysburg
Chaz,
Which county was this section located in?
Thanks,
Dave W

Posted on: 2012/11/25 20:45

From LV
It's Berks County.

Posted on: 2012/11/26 9:30

Re: West Branch Perkiomen Creek, Berks Co, 11/19/2012

From Parkesburg
Nice report. That can be a fun little stream. I am going to PM you Chaz.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 18:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com