Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

West Branch Delaware River 04/28-05/01, Delaware County

From Cato, NY
headed down to camp to fish the West Branch last week wed thru sat. We got blown off the water wednesday and thursday which is pretty typical this time of year. I managed to nymph two nice trout on thursday but between my friend and I that was it.

Friday and saturday was a different story. We managed many fish in the 15-21 inch range and had bugs and fish rising sporadically throughout the day. The hendrickson's hatched around 3:00 p.m. but the fish seemed to take olives instead. There was also some great action on size 16 and 14 rusty spinners early in the morning and about an hour before dark. There were some blanket caddis hatches at times that the fish seemed to totally ignore.

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0076.JPG (266.77 KB)
3041_4be1cc10f3b57.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMGP0077.JPG (267.12 KB)
3041_4be1cc1ab060f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMGP0079.JPG (293.49 KB)
3041_4be1cc2578c08.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMGP0075.JPG (277.61 KB)
3041_4be1cc3f67652.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/5/5 15:51

Re: West Branch Delaware River 04/28-05/01, Delaware County
From Monessen, PA
Nice fish and pics. Looks like it may have been on the cool side by your garments.

Posted on: 2010/5/5 16:11

From The Hilton
Some Nice fat Brownies way to go!

Posted on: 2010/5/5 21:56

From Pittsburgh
Beautiful fish! Great job!

Posted on: 2010/5/5 22:17

From York & Starlight, PA
Nice pictures and the first is especially a trophy however pictures of big trout with the name of the specific river only exacerbates the already over crowded conditions one runs into on weekends, and more often lately, during the week. I too was unable to cast to a single fish last Wednesday and left for home by noon on Thursday due to the incessant wind on the waters I fished in the Catskills.

Posted on: 2010/5/6 21:01

From collegeville, pa
great fish!!.....I hear you wbranch but the WB ain't no secret, arguably the best water (upper delaware) in the east...by the way, I'll be there next week!

jeff

Posted on: 2010/5/7 8:28

From Chester County
I hear you too WB. I fished the D since I was a kid in the 70's and can't believe the pressure it now receives. There are probably more fish now then back in the day, but fishing it was a lot more fun.

The silver lining is, when it was a secret, there was no one to stand up to fight for it. Now that the word is out, there are thousands of eyes on it every day to look out for it. Too many eyes IMO, but so it goes...

Posted on: 2010/5/7 9:01

From Cato, NY
Thanks for the nice responses guys. However, I can't take credit for that pig brown. I took that picture of my friend who caught it.

I hear what Wbranch is saying and I normally don't post my pics of nicer fish in less published rivers or streams, but like others have said the upper D is no secret. It is going to be crowded whether people post pics or not.

I fish the West Branch a lot and have never had a problem finding a place to fish. Sometimes you just have to walk but it is big water and a lot of room if your're willing to walk a little or a lot.

Jason

Posted on: 2010/5/7 9:50

"I hear you wbranch but the WB ain't no secret"

I know it isn't a secret but that doesn't mean we need more guys fishing it does it??

My screen name pretty much lets you know something about me. I have a cabin on the WB and have fished it since 1969 and the main stem since 1966. I fished the WB before there was a No-Kill and can remember very bad drought years when the WB was virtually a tepid trickle and other years with the broken valve and summer flows in the 1000 cfs range where I had to wear long Johns in Bard- Parker.

I agree though with many that the overall fishing is better now than it was then. Back then a good fish was 15" and a great fish was 19". Now I yawn at 15" and don't get too excited at 19" but I've become jaded.

If any forum members can fish during the week PM me as I have a Hyde LP plus a two man kayak and typically fish Tue, Wed, and Thu and just refuse to pay $25 - $35 for a shuttle and would enjoy a float partner - no cleats in the boat please.

PS - I've been up the last two weeks and have been blown off the water on four out of five days. Won't be going up in the future if weather is projecting sustained wind of more than 12 mph.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 10:03

From Greensburg, PA
I am still trying to figure out why some people have more of a right to fish it then others. If its too crowded, and the pressure if bad for the fishery, stay away from it. But I think asking others to stay away so someone else can fish it is silly.

BTW this is a short hop from NYC. One might be more effective preaching up north.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 10:20

Resized Image

Flotilla!

Posted on: 2010/5/7 10:20

Tom wrote;

"I am still trying to figure out why some people have more of a right to fish it then others."

Who said, or wrote, that Tom? Not me and it wasn't even implied. Everyone who finds out about any place to fish is entitled to fish there and break the fish's necks if it's legal. My point is why bring even more lurkers to places that are already very crowded and the crowds detract from the esthetics of the activity.

I'm very lucky to not only own a cabin but to be able to fish during the week when it is the least likely to be crowded. I posted for all the other guys who often only have the weekends to fish. Two of my closest fishing friends, who are still working, were up Saturday and Sunday. Without mentioning a specific river, or section of a river, they told me that on Saturday afternoon, in one piece of water that happened to be productive, there were ten guide boats with two clients in each boat, and a dozen wading anglers all in a piece of water no more than 200 yards long. On some large Western rivers that would be considered crowded - on floatable NYS waters that is downright mobbed.

I don't want to fight with any of you guys and am not being selfish because as I said I fish when most of you are working and dreaming about coming up. I often see few people and there are days when I don't see anyone so if you know where to go, and when to go there, one can still enjoy solitude on rivers not much more than two hours form a huge metropolis.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 10:31

From Central Jersey
Wbranch- Just sold my Kayak, bought a Scadden. Fish during the week, would love to partner up and save paying $35 for a shuttle!

I am really happy catching the 15" fish. They were not present for a few years, and are back in big numbers. I think that is good news for the river, and those concerned about the longterm effects of the 06 flood.

I think most forget that there are about 40 or so miles of fishable river (maybe more), not just the WB. There are fish all the way down to Lordville, and will be for awhile.

jg

Posted on: 2010/5/7 11:20

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:
...pictures of big trout with the name of the specific river only exacerbates the already over crowded conditions one runs into on weekends, and more often lately, during the week...

...I know it isn't a secret but that doesn't mean we need more guys fishing it does it??...

No, you did not come right out and say that. But the all too familiar implication is there. I am not begrudging you your right to feel that way. I am just at a loss to understand how someone can love something so much and not want others to as well. Its more prevalent with old timers (no offense) where they've been fishing something for decades and when the next generation or the one below that discovers it, just like the old timer's generation did, that is somehow bad. Those old timers are gonna pass on some day and there batter be someone to look out for that water when they are gone.

I am not really fighting with you as much as I'm chuckling sarcastically out loud. Its what forums are for.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 11:27

From Chester County
Tom,

There's nothing wrong with "longing for the old days" and remembering when you had a run or pool all to yourself with fish rising all over, I reminisce about that all the time. I'm a little selfish in that way, too.

Reality is the River is now crowded with anglers, guides, drift boats, pontoons, canoes, etc. The fish are there but you must now work find a decent spot. But as I said before, "so it goes" the word is out.

I'm sure posting on the Internet about the River adds to the pressure, but also there are books, magazines, guides advertising, etc. also directing anglers to fish there. I do believe instant communication aspect of the Internet has more of an effect. The word of a great hatch or great fishing tends to drive anglers to the "hotspots". Hey, I check on the conditions and find out how the hatches are Internet before I make a trip, and so do many others. I'm as guilty as everyone. My PM button was lit up like a Christmas tree the last few weeks with members interested in fishing the D. I'm not complaining, it's all fun!

wbranch wrote:
"I fished the WB before there was a No-Kill and can remember very bad drought years when the WB was virtually a tepid trickle and other years with the broken valve and summer flows in the 1000 cfs range where I had to wear long Johns in Bard- Parker."

WB, if what you wrote above about the flow happened now, you would have thousands screaming bloody murder. Some concessions have been made to make the flow more angler and fish friendly, although we have a long way to go.

Also, without it's popularity with anglers, you would never have any special regulations to protect the fish in the River. lol...if few anglers fished it, I suppose you would need any....

It's all a trade-off. Good fishing to all!

Posted on: 2010/5/7 12:31

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com