Re: West Branch Delaware River 04/28-05/01, Delaware County

From lancaster county
Resized Image

Resized Image

Is it just me or could wbranch and this guy be brothers

Posted on: 2010/5/7 12:48

From Hagerstown, MD
I don't know if those two could be brothers, but I am dead certain that the trout in those pictures are at least distant cousins. :)

Sorry...I could not resist.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 13:13

Just spent 6 days on the D and branches. I spent 50% of my day navigating my boat around waders and other guide boats. When I packed it in and wade fished on the WB, I had to stop every 10-15 minutes as driftboats went by. There was barely any difference in crowds from Friday to Wednesday. Holy S&@t has that place become busy/popular. 15-20 yrs ago, I could fish a full 12 hour day on the WB and not see more than 3 other guys. It's tough to find a quiet spot up there anymore.

Afish,
That TCX is a sweet rod. Too bad my ability isn't nearly on level with the rod's ability. I was able to reach some fish that I wouldn't have gotten to before. I may actually prefer that Legend elite though.... hmmm

PS> We should really stop talking about the D or I'll need to find a new place to frustrate me. :)

Posted on: 2010/5/7 16:34

From York & Starlight, PA
afishinado pasted this comment of mine;

"I fished the WB before there was a No-Kill and can remember very bad drought years when the WB was virtually a tepid trickle and other years with the broken valve and summer flows in the 1000 cfs range where I had to wear long Johns in Bard- Parker."

That is just a comment on condtions I experienced a few decades ago. I'm not complaining, or crying, or longing for "the good old days".

Tom,

Yea, I'm an old timer, fished the BK the first time July 05, 1965. Been fly fishing for fifty years and thoroughly enjoy sharing my experience with younger guys. Work part time at a Gander Mountain and provide a five week intro to fly tying during the winter as well as offer advice to new FF's relative to rods, lines, technique, casting, whatever. You seem to fancy yourself to be able read more into my post than was intended - if you want to think there was an implication in my original post that I don't want anyone to fish the waters I fish then I guess there is nothing I can do to change that.

BTW if you read my profile you'll see this comment next to "Other Info" "Interested in mentoring any newbies who are able to fish Tuesday through Thursday only." I wouldn't of written that if I didn't want to share my passion with others.

If you are ever planning to be up during the week PM me a few days in advance and if you want we can get together and throw some flies.

That guy with the blue bandanna is one good looking dude and it ain't a bad brown either. Yes, it's me, on a MT river. I have posted MT pictures before on some forums and will likely continue to do so. I've gone to MT about thirty-five times in forty-two years. The first four years I'd quit my job and drive my VW Campmobile out and base in Livingston for June, July, and August. One of the spring creeks was free and the other had two sessions per day, at $10 per session.

There are many more anglers on the MT rivers now then there were back in the late 1960's but I still find great dry fly fishing to larger than average trout and never feel like I don't have enough water to fish or there are too many people on the rivers.

There was a period when my ego, and bravado, was bigger than my common sense and I posted quite a few pictures of large trout on various forums. By and large nobody took offense until one time I mentioned the name of a specific pool. In retrospect I suppose it was stupid to not only post a picture of a big trout but then I named the location of the event.

Now I seldom post a photo and if I do I always underestimate the length and never mention where it was caught. But if someone wants to do that it is there perogative. Live and let live is my motto.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 18:27

From Monessen, PA
wbranch, I kinda got the same read on your post as afish, when I read this:

"... however pictures of big trout with the name of the specific river only exacerbates the already over crowded conditions one runs into on weekends, and more often lately, during the week."

I credit you for first congratulating the poster, but when this is the first reply to a stream report, it does come off as a complaint against the poster's decision to report on the conditions of the stream. I guess he could have posted himself holding a 10 inch trout (though I hear that trout are born in the Delaware at 15") instead.

By the way, is the river getting so crowded that nobody goes there anymore?

Posted on: 2010/5/7 18:51

-- Leo Tolstoy

From York & Starlight, PA
I apologize for sounding elitist and not wanting to share the waters. It wasn't my intention to berate the fellow and my words surely didn't convey that message. If some posters feel they know I had another agenda then that is their error as there was none. As someone mentioned forums and BB's are just one of a myraid of vehicles for the dessemination of information.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 19:15

From Monessen, PA
You're being too defensive. No one tried to crucify you. I am glad you clarified your position, but I think you are still interpreting what you wrote by what you meant. Since we don't live in your mind, but ours, we can only interpret what you wrote by...well, what you wrote.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 19:20

-- Leo Tolstoy

From South Central PA
Wbranch, that is generous of you to offer assistance. If I get up that way in the Fall I will take you up on the offer.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 19:25

From Chester County
westbranch, keep on fishin' and keep on postin'. Glad to have you on the site and on the river. I'd love to fish with you one of these days. Since I fished the D since the early 70's, I would bet we crossed paths at one time or another. It's great you wish to share your knowledge and mentor budding FFers. Tight lines.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 7:03

From Pittsburgh
Wbranch -

Posting about the Delaware river is no different than reports about Spring and Penns creeks IMO. As others have said, certainly not letting the cat out of the bag there.

By the way, I had my best day up there on a saturday. I was actually on my way out to go meet acristic kid on the little j. And I stopped at a nice pool on the mainstem around 9 am, and found fish rising. Pretty tough to pass up risers there, so I started fishing. This spot is just below an access area, and I figured there would be lots of boats coming down.
But surprisingly, I saw only a few driftboats during my 4 hours there. And when a group of about 8 kayakers came down, I figured they were gonna put the fish down for sure. But they all very politely paddled close to the shore behind me, so as not to go over the risers I was casting to. And I had that whole spot to myself all morning

Posted on: 2010/5/8 13:52

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com