HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: West Branch, Delaware River, NY 8/2-8/3

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

TDB wrote:
Wearing them is a pain in the a**.. It is not necessary on one of the placid rivers in the world (Delaware and branches)... I think the rule is dumb, if people aren't comfortable they can wear them, otherwise who cares. Kind of like a helmet on a motorcycle...

I've never seen a guided boat wearing PFD's from May to Oct...

You can drown in placid water too. It's not a dumb rule at all to have in the colder months and at all other times you better have one with you for each passenger within their reach and not tied to the vessel- the latter is the law at all times. Besides the SOSpenders type they make plenty of models that are pretty much just like wearing a flyfishing vest with gear in it. Plenty easy to cast or row with. As unlikely as it may seem all it takes is one awkward fall or something and say you hit your head and get knocked out, etc. even in placid water you're going to drown. But I guess I can see your point, WTF do I care if other people choose to make a decision not wear one and then drown. A few less tools on the water sounds good to me.

I think any guide that doesn't require his clients to wear a PFD onboard is taking an unnecessary risk. If they don't at least have one onboard for each passenger (including themselves) I'm pretty sure they are breaking the law. I've only been on a few guided floats, one on the Lehigh Gorge and one on a stretch of the Upper Conn that is "placid" like the West Br. and Upper D and if memory serves me correct both guides insisted we wear a PFD at all times in the boat. I know for a fact it was mandatory on the Gorge trip.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 10:29

From Lehighton, PA
Here is the reg excerpt I got form when it was posted on the NEFF forum:

Beginning November 1, 2009, Section 40, Subdivision 1 of the Navigation Law shall be amended by adding new paragraph (e), which reads as follows:
No owner or operator of a pleasure vessel less than twenty-one feet, including rowboats, canoes, and kayaks shall permit its operation, between November first and May first, unless each person on board such vessel is wearing a securely fastened United States Coast Guard approved wearable personal flotation device of an appropriate size when such vessel is underway.

Failure to wear a lifejacket on such vessels will be considered a violation under Section 73-c if the Navigation Law and is punishable by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $250, applicable to either the operator and/or the owner of the vessel.

I do recall there was some discussion on how licensed guide's driftboats/pontoon boats fit in. I'll keep digging.

After digging more it appears that guide boats may be exempted but as of the time this thread was hot (in 2009) there was no confirmation yet on that. There was also movement from the NPS superinitendent of that area to implement a reg making it mandatory to WEAR a PFD whenever the Barryville guage is 6ft or above. Nothing more on whether that ever got implemented though.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 10:39

From Eastern PA
Between X-date and Y-date, if the flows are X at X station, if you are between X and Y border, if you are with a guide - no, without - yes.

Question: But what if it's sunny? That would completely change things right? I mean there needs to be more variables to complicate this stupid, idiotic regulation right? I say no PFD's if it sunny.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 14:20

From Lehighton, PA
I make it simple on my boat. My boat, my rules. If I tell you to wear an approved PFD at all times onboard my boat then you'll wear it at all times onboard. Otherwise I'll just drown you myself and let you float downriver as fishfood and added nutrients.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 14:37

From Eastern PA
Chumming is illegal.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 14:48

OK. From what I'm reading, it's between 11/1 and 5/1 which means it's not a required thing while we're there in September. Also, it states "when such vessel is underway". Anchor up and there's the loop hole in that law.

Ryan / GOD,

You wrote: "WTF do I care if other people choose to make a decision not wear one and then drown. A few less tools on the water sounds good to me". It's not your decision. If said "tool" doesn't want to wear one and doesn't have to by law, his / her choice. I enjoy fishing. If that's how I go, so be it. No skin off your back or anyone else’s. I'm divorced with 0 kids and an employer I hate. If I could only be lucky enough to fall over and hit my head. I have my own boat with its own rules. I think you have every right to say "my boat, my rules" and I applaud you sticking to your guns. See you up there next month.

I also believe that jdaddy is correct on the chumming rule.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 19:08

From The Hilton
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Chumming is illegal.

Only you get caught!

Posted on: 2010/8/13 19:21

From The Hilton
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:

Ryan / GOD,

LMAO

Posted on: 2010/8/13 19:22

From Bozeman
Quote:

Alpabuck wrote:
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:

Ryan / GOD,

LMAO

Infighting in the neocon ranks. Love it.

Posted on: 2010/8/15 21:09

From Eastern PA
Quote:
I'm divorced with 0 kids and an employer I hate.

Clearly your new signature line.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 0:21

I need an "F" bomb in it though. It doesn't sound quite angry enough.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 8:55

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
OK. From what I'm reading, it's between 11/1 and 5/1 which means it's not a required thing while we're there in September. Also, it states "when such vessel is underway". Anchor up and there's the loop hole in that law.

Ryan / GOD,

You wrote: "WTF do I care if other people choose to make a decision not wear one and then drown. A few less tools on the water sounds good to me". It's not your decision. If said "tool" doesn't want to wear one and doesn't have to by law, his / her choice. I enjoy fishing. If that's how I go, so be it. No skin off your back or anyone else’s. I'm divorced with 0 kids and an employer I hate. If I could only be lucky enough to fall over and hit my head. I have my own boat with its own rules. I think you have every right to say "my boat, my rules" and I applaud you sticking to your guns. See you up there next month.

I also believe that jdaddy is correct on the chumming rule.

OK Sight, first I gotta say I enjoyed your reply. The Ryan/GOD & the diverced with 0 kids and an employer I hate lines really had me LMAO.

Clearly it's not my decision, it's now a law. While I generally support people's rights to make their own good or bad decisions I don't see how anyone can call this regulation dumb or say they don't know why it was made in the first place. I guess that was my beef, its not rocket science to figure out it was enacted to try to prevent unnecessary drowning deaths during the colder months when a person's strength & ability to swim can get sapped pretty quickly. Each year, up and down the Delaware River, a lot of money and manhours from S&R teams and local Fire Departments get wasted searching for drowning victims. It at least helps save money (possibly for taxpayers) on search and recovery efforts of said "tool's" corpse if it's at least floating! Call 'em an infringement on your rights, just don't call 'em dumb.

Also, wouldn't it only be chumming if I chopped them up first instead of just letting th whole body float down?

Thanks too, you just might see me up there next month. And should you fall out of your boat sans life jacket I will indeed resepct your wishes and just keep back and watch if you begin struggling to keep your head above water.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 11:31

From Montgomery County
Never thought of using the flesh fly on the D :)

Posted on: 2010/8/16 11:42

If I fall out, you won't see me struggling..... just a middle finger in the air that slowly slips into the water.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 11:50

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
If I fall out, you won't see me struggling..... just a middle finger in the air that slowly slips into the water.

I'll be sure to take a pic for posterity. We'll make it your last avatar!

Posted on: 2010/8/16 12:08

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com