Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Valley Creek, chester co., 4/11

From Phoenixville Pa
Had 45min to fish VC yesterday after work, 4:30pm. I fished a flat still section (I make this mistake all the time). Didn't have time to do much else but observe and put a fly on the water.

I tied a 14 parachute BWO and wanted to know if it would work. I got a couple of missed takes so I would say it was a successful outing eventhoug I came up short.

It was overcast, flows were at about 25cfs, fish were rising pretty consistently to midges. I managed to spook a lot of them.

The flats are tough (for me at least). I walked away with a few personal observations.

1. fish the riffles - I feel like I would have had more sucess

2. If you must fish the flats fish down and across - I will be sucked into those consistent riser on glassy water, i get sucked in everytime, I feel like I will spook less fish this way - both wading and with my line

3. people are messy - I had a handful of trash by the time I made my short walk to the car. I'll be taking a tash bag with me next time for the walk back to the car.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 8:10

Re: Valley Creek, chester co., 4/11

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

paparise wrote:

3. people are messy - I had a handful of trash by the time I made my short walk to the car. I'll be taking a tash bag with me next time for the walk back to the car.
Let's not candy coat it, people are SLOBS! They don't care where they are.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 9:31

Yes, and I can't understand why apparently so many cigarette smokers think the butts are not litter. They take longer to decompose than any paper products and I cant' tell you how many times I have found them in fish stomachs. If not discarded directly to the streams, they wash in via storm water. Based on the reaction of trout in Maine (recently released study on trout consuming discarded soft plastics in Maine lakes), it is likely that the butts consumed inhibit fish growth if they can't be passed.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 10:05

From Parkesburg
Mike, I was just thinking the same thing the other day about smokers who litter with their cigarettes!

Posted on: 2013/4/12 11:31

From lower burrell, pa
I snuff mine out and take them with me, not that hard to do.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 12:49

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
when I fish valley I generally fish fast water. I usually skip over the flat water unless I am using streamers or their is a solid hatch what I know they are taking dries. they always seem to be sipping some kind of midge. I find that a lot of my bugger fish I've caught there are in fast water. nice report I need to make a trip to valley soon.

marc

Posted on: 2013/4/12 22:59

From Flourtown, PA
Your second realization is in my opinion incorrect. Trust me, if you are spooking fish from out of their line of sight, what do you expect to happen when you stand in front of them. Always try to fish upstream when possible. And wear drab clothing. And move when wading at a snail's pace. And make long casts. And tie smaller flies. And good luck.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 7:57

From Monessen, PA
Moving slowly even out of the water is under-rated as a stealth tactic. I tend to agree that fishing downstream in a small clear creek is difficult without spooking. On the other hand, even in small waters, if water clarity is low, then it can be an optional, sometimes better, technique. I fish upstream 95% of the time.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 8:17

Great report. Are you guys talking about the flats about half a mile below the wooden bridge that have a parking pull off next to it and a couple trees perennially downed there? Dead water, I often see (or think I see) big fish lurking there and also get sucked in to casting to them for too long. Never successful though I'm no master. Has anyone nailed one of them at that spot?

Along the same line, has anyone had luck at the mouth of the creek and the Schuckyll? I've heard rumor that trout come up in there at some time of the year. Any stories or suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

Posted on: 2013/4/13 9:12

From Chadds Ford, PA
A few years ago, I was told by a self-proclaimed expert on Valley, that it is illegal to fish between Rt. 23 and the mouth. I don't fish in the Park or anywhere down that way, so I'm not sure of that. And, by the way, unless the water is up and off color, don't waste your time fishing down stream.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 9:29

From Flourtown, PA
Listen to the Prof. And Jack. Downstream fishing is best utilized when either swinging wet flies or streamers, or when fishing dries to super expert wild fish in limestone streams where vegetation has caused the currents to "braid", thus making the ideal up-and-across presentation all but impossible. Even direct upstream casts are usually plagued by drag in braided currents. At those times, a downstream cast with a load of slack tippet is often your best bet.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 9:39

From West Chester PA
A couple of years ago, I did see in the PA Fishing Summary that no fishing was permitted between Rte 23 and the mouth at the Schuylkill River, but I just perused the 2012 Guide and could not find that information. I remember that it was hard to find then, so take that for what it's worth. It was in there within the last 5 years.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 10:37

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

englishprof wrote:
And, by the way, unless the water is up and off color, don't waste your time fishing down stream.

If you're talking about dry fly presentations, agreed. But, as mentioned, for wet fly and or active nymph presentations, down and across is the way to go.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 21:05

From Chadds Ford, PA
You may get away with fishing dowstream in the Park where it's a little wider, although I doubt it. No way in the sections I fish where, at its widest, it's about twenty feet. You'll spook fish within a mile. You fish nymphs downstream? The trick to nymphing is getting them deep and fast. How do you that downstream?

Posted on: 2013/4/13 22:26

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
English, when fishing wets and nymphs downstream you want them rising in the water column.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 23:51

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com