HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Valley Creek, chester co., 4/11

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

englishprof wrote:
You may get away with fishing dowstream in the Park where it's a little wider, although I doubt it. No way in the sections I fish where, at its widest, it's about twenty feet. You'll spook fish within a mile. You fish nymphs downstream? The trick to nymphing is getting them deep and fast. How do you that downstream?

I catch 90% of my fish at Valley fishing downstream. I stay low and am fishing fast water if using this tactic. Given this fast water and that these areas are typically shallow as well, we're talking about fish with a small, distorted window.

Plus, my experience at VC contradicts the whole "Valley trout are so spooky" claims. Those fish see people constantly (both in and out of the park). I find them to be particularly tolerant to anglers. I can't count the amount of times I've stood over fish I know can see me, only to have them completely ignore me and go about their business. These trout are the rule at VC, not the exception, in my experience.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 0:28

From Chester County
Downstream tactics have their place, but I nearly always try to fish upstream, and not downstream, especially in small streams...here's why:

Since the fish face upstream in the current, they are more likely to spot you or become spooked by your casting movements.

And again, since the fish are facing you upstream, you are much more likely to pull the fly from the mouth of the fish rather than into it and in the corner of the mouth when fishing downstream.

All the disturbance in the water and silt are carried downstream when wading, the same direction you are fishing.

When drift your fly downstream, your fly is drifted over and past the fish until it drags, so you are showing a dragging fly to the the fish you will be targeting next, when travelling downstream. And worse yet, you must pick up your line for your next cast right over those fish.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 9:41

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Downstream tactics have their place, but I nearly always try to fish upstream, and not downstream, especially in small streams...here's why:

Since the fish face upstream in the current, they are more likely to spot you or become spooked by your casting movements.

And again, since the fish are facing you upstream, you are much more likely to pull the fly from the mouth of the fish rather than into it and in the corner of the mouth when fishing downstream.

All the disturbance in the water and silt are carried downstream when wading, the same direction you are fishing.

When drift your fly downstream, your fly is drifted over and past the fish until it drags, so you are showing a dragging fly to the the fish you will be targeting next, when travelling downstream. And worse yet, you must pick up your line for your next cast right over those fish.

All of this is true, but none of it means that downstream presentations should be avoided. As long as you're aware of the caveats and potential drawbacks of fishing downstream, it is just as acceptable/viable a choice as any other method.

Again, if you're fishing a presentation when the fish are taking nymphs rising in the water column, or otherwise trying to present a dynamic nymph and not a dead-drifting one ... downstream is a way to go.

I've nymphed stretches on the stream in question and taken no fish, walked to the head of the riffle, fished tandem nymphs on a downstream swing, and taken 5-6 fish out of the riffle.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 9:52

From Monessen, PA
I think both methods have their virtues and drawbacks. As I said, for me, 95% of the time, an upstream or upstream and across cast is my preference.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 11:08

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Monessen, PA
I should add that your knowledge of the water may effect your strategy. There have been days, on the Youghiogheny River, where anything but downstream presentation was a complete waste of time. If these fish did not see the fly before the line, they would not bite. Now, they don't know what a flyline is exactly, but they will at times not like it in the least.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 11:11

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Philadelphia, PA
Jack - absolutely. My approach on VC is a result of experience, not instinct.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 12:44

Good thread here guys, i learned alot about presentations reading this! Could any of you point me to a diagram that shows each of the presentations described? (Upstream, downstream, down and across, etc). I just want to make sure i understand where the angler and fish are supposed to be and where the cast goes in each one. Thanks

Posted on: 2013/4/14 15:05

From Newtown Square
Fantastic Thread- I fished valley today with a friend who has been Fly fishing and tying for 20 plus years. (I have 1 year under my belt) Today there we're olives coming off and around 11 or 12 a caddis hatch kicked in. Fish we're keyed in on caddis emergers. We had success swinging different emergers at the end of drifts off of elk hair caddis dry dropper combo. Caught em on the dry but when we put the puzzle together the emerger patters were really working. I caught a real solid fish (for VC) stripping in a soft hackle fished a foot under a dry caddis.
i learned a ton today about different rise forms and the up-stream and DOWNSTREAM presentations. The one thing I confirmed once again - this is one hell of an addiction and catching rising trout takes it to a whole different intensity level. btw - There are situations it appears to me that a downstream presentation is perfect for Valley.

-

Posted on: 2013/4/14 21:36

From Newtown Square
[IMG]http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b482/wvuandy/F2D7EEBA-366B-4088-B0BD-AC8F7CF1328F-4242-000002F56EF6F7C0_zps36d5297a.jpg[/IMG]

(From photobucket hope I posted this pic correctly)

Posted on: 2013/4/14 21:44

From Newtown Square
Timmyt - search each presentation you had asked about on YouTube and you will find high quality video demonstrations of each presentation. Also knots - leaders - tactics - casting
Great video of the Pile cast to help a downstream drift.

Hope this helps..

Posted on: 2013/4/14 21:50

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

wvuandy1 wrote:
Resized Image

(From photobucket hope I posted this pic correctly)

Posted on: 2013/4/14 23:00

From Phoenixville Pa
yes - flats off of 252 down from the covered bridge (not the 23 bridge). I only fish this section on my way home from work when I have about a half an hour or so.

yes - on stealth, and slow wading. I fish some stretches on my knees on valley so I'm no stranger to steath.

yes - on upstream presentation, 95% of the time

I'm not talking straight downstream, I'm talking down and across with a slack line cast knowing all of the draw back on hook setting etc. I'm probably wrong but I have to try it on this section to prove myself wrong. Note: I got a couple of strikes on a 14 BWO, probably would have done better on a 20 midge but still, I got skunked and feel like I would have done better w/ a down and accross presentation.

I've had sucess with this method in other pools on VC.

The water on this section is so glassy that I feel like any disturbance on the surface, no matter how minor, puts the fish down.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 8:05

From Perkasie PA
I fished it on Saturday and literally fished the best caddis hatch I've ever experienced from about 2-5. Fish were rising in the tail of a riffle run, just before a deep pool. They were popping on top like crazy. Consistently caught fish all day and didnt even have to tie on a nymph or wet fly once. beautiful fish in there too.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 13:16

From Valley Forge
I stopped over to the stream last night and fished primarily down stream from the dam to avoid the crowds, and did not even see a fish. I have seen fish there before but not last night. Also I was talking to a local biologist several months ago who I assume takes part in the sampling of the stream and he even told me that there were not many fish here. So strange because I was fishing some very nice "looking" water, anyone have any idea?

Posted on: 2013/4/15 16:46

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

Cosmic_Nick wrote:
I stopped over to the stream last night and fished primarily down stream from the dam to avoid the crowds, and did not even see a fish. I have seen fish there before but not last night. Also I was talking to a local biologist several months ago who I assume takes part in the sampling of the stream and he even told me that there were not many fish here. So strange because I was fishing some very nice "looking" water, anyone have any idea?

The dam has no fish passage, that I'm aware of. Trout are above the dam.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 20:51

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com