Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Upper Pine Creek Tioga County 5/30/13

From NC PA Mountains
Fished a couple hours this morning. Some caddis & march browns. No fish on top. Only caught a couple on nymphs. Water is COLD 56 deg! Water levels are great. Even with the high temps the next few days I think the fishing on Pine should be pretty decent for the month of June. The forecast calls for highs only from the high 60's to maybe the low 80's.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 10:17

Re: Upper Pine Creek Tioga County

From Ephrata, PA
Any sign of the drakes yet, Brad? A week from tomorrow I'll be heading up! I think fishing will be a bit better than it was last month, no!?

Posted on: 2013/5/30 10:18

Re: Upper Pine Creek Tioga County

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Any sign of the drakes yet, Brad? A week from tomorrow I'll be heading up! I think fishing will be a bit better than it was last month, no!?

I've seen a few(3) drakes on our window screens this week. You should hit them. Fishing should be fine when you're up.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 11:11

Re: Upper Pine Creek Tioga County 5/30/13

From Ephrata, PA
Rock and roll. I'll be in touch w/ you and Bob. I'll be fishing w/ two guys who have never fly fished before, so this could be an epic first trip!

Posted on: 2013/5/30 12:03

From Elizabethtown, PA
Fished upper Pine Creek near Gaines from Thursday afternoon--Saturday evening. On Thursday late afternoon and evening, I did well on a bead head nymph combo in the faster water. Very few fish feeding on surface that afternoon and evening, though we did catch a couple right before dark on dries.

Friday morning was slow for me when i switched to the deeper pools, but one of my partners took my advice and fished the swift areas with the pair of beadheads and did well. Too hot to fish for me Friday afternoon, but was pleasant in the evening--but no real hatches and very few rises.

Saturday morning I did well early again fishing nymphs in the current, then switched to a blue winged olive dry in mid-morning and caught 3 nice browns that started to rise then. In afternoon I fished spinners (the metal kind--am i allowed to say that here?) in West Branch of Pine (above stocked area) and caught half a dozen or so native trout. Then back to Rexford in the evening, where I continued to catch natives on a Blue Winged Olive . Incidentally, if you are taking a first time fly fisherman to that area, that is a great place to practice your dry fly skills, since the natives often seem to be around and biting, even if you don't see a rise. I think it's where I caught my first trout on a dry fly 30 some years ago. As the evening progressed, I saw many green drakes on the trees and bushes along the stream, and just after 8:00 there was a spinner fall (which was rather obvious to even a casual observer). Unfortunately, we had to leave by 8:30, and the trout were not yet rising to them at that location--but it was still pretty neat to see. I guess if we would have stayed until full dark, could have caught some fish...

Anyhow, it's sure a pretty place to fish, whether you catch them or not. Saw several bald eagles, including two that perched across the creek from us --seemed to be waiting for a meal of injured trout. And almost always see some deer there. In past years have seen a bear cross the creek, and got video of an otter fishing for trout one evening.

Tight Lines!

Posted on: 2013/6/3 11:59

Edited by Andy on 2013/6/3 12:40:29

From Collegeville, PA
Why did you fish flies in the bigger water, and then fish hardware in the smaller water? That kind of sounds backwards. Did you get lazy or something?

Posted on: 2013/6/3 15:02

From West Chester
Fished the pine creek area around cedar and slate run from 5/31-6/2. Friday I fished some small brook trout streams. The water temps were around 54 on these small streams. Caught a couple nice brookies on attractor dries and had lots of hits from fingerlings too small to take the fly.

Saturday I biked the rail trail along pine creek and fished cedar run in the evening. A good hatch of slate drakes, yellow sallies, a few green drakes/coffin flies, and a mix of other bugs came off during the last hour of daylight. Brought 2 small browns and 1 brookie to hand and missed a few all on dries. The water temp on cedar was 58. I had a lot of small fingerling fish hit the fly here too. I fish cedar run once a year and over the last few yrs I had only caught bigger older fish, so even though that was great it was a relief to see the new generation beginning to grow. I'm sure the big boys are still there somewhere, but they were a no show on this trip.

Sunday morn I fished the lower delayed harvest section of pine creek around slate run for 2 hours around sunrise with my dad. Water temp was 67 and I landed 2 nice stocked browns around 15-16in on nymphs, subsequently discovered I left my camera at the cabin, and broke 1 fish clean off on the take

Posted on: 2013/6/3 20:09

From West Chester
A few pictures...

Attach file:

jpg  015.JPG (61.01 KB)
8091_51ad32fda2687.jpg 320X175 px

jpg  005.JPG (66.61 KB)
8091_51ad330b9c86d.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  046.JPG (64.78 KB)
8091_51ad3316cca9f.jpg 320X211 px

jpg  004.JPG (53.04 KB)
8091_51ad3322f20b1.jpg 320X216 px

Posted on: 2013/6/3 20:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com