Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Tulpehocken, Berks County, 06/12/2010

From Eastern PA
Planned on meeting sight_nymph and one of his buddies at 6:00 at the waterworks section. Flows were at 128 at water works gauging station and water was clear (for Tully). Got the standard "I am late" text from sight_nymph, however I got there at 5:45. Arriving at water works there was three guys in the water and three suiting up. I decided to go back to the paper mill area and found only one person suiting up. Fished the slick pool above the walk in and found tons of rising fish. Managed to take 4 nice browns, however I noted my catch rate was not that great given the number of risers and the frequency and consistency of risers. I saw a fair number of caddis floating around and had not looked at the surface closely. And there they were . . . tricos. I did not see any in the air, but there were a fair number on the water. I went back to the car to grab my trico box and went back in down below the refrigerator hole (thanks to the guy who swooped in on my spot when I was gone for a whole 2 minutes). There was a decent little ball of tricos in the air right around the refrigerator hole as I walked down. Sight_nymph was fishing the area with caddis, micro caddis and larva, breaking off, loosing fish and missing fish as per his standard this year (his words not mine). He was fishing the merge point of Cacoosing (58 degrees) and Tully (66 degrees) and had a ton of risers. I moved down to the pool below the refrigerator and took 5 more browns. I was fishing female and male 22 tricos in tandem and took all of the fish on the male tricos. Early on I had a bunch of refusals, so I clipped off the vast majority of wing material and had started hooking up. Had to get back home, so I waded back up to where sight_nymph was fishing and watched him continue to miss/break off/loose fish. The fish were still decently turned on at 9:30, though not as much as they were around 6:00 - 6:45. Sight's buddy got mixed up and went to water works and fished there until 9:00 or so when he came down to meet us. He said they were really turned on there as well.

Summary : Good flow, good color, good temps, nice trico volume on water. Caddis took them early, though success would likely have been greater with tricos. Sparse tricos, size 22. Lots of hits in riffles with small caddis.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 11:34

Re: Tulpehocken, Berks County, 06/12/2010

From It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
I think someone died in the tulpehocken yesterday where it enters the schuylkill river...
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=226905

Posted on: 2010/6/12 15:26

From Bozeman
Good report. I am not a tully fan but may have to hit it up again sometime soon. I like to fish ants during the tricos there.

For what it's worth, without seeing it actually go down, I can't fault the guy that took your spot. He probably figured you left. Them's the breaks on a crowded stream.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 16:44

j's report says it all. I was fishing caddis and didn't even look to see what was on the water. I hooked 9 fish in the first 15 minutes so I had the right fly as far as I knew. I continued my 5-8 fish hooked and lost average before I actually got one to net. jdaddy witnessed it so it's not my imagination. I'm having serious issues with keeping fish hooked. Anywho, after the rising slowed down, we changed to a nymph rig with indi. We were hooked up every 3rd or 4th cast and landed another 7 fish or so. Left close to noon. Water was around 68-69 and didn't want to stress fish. Hooked one that fought for 15 seconds before coming unhooked. He the floated, belly up, to the top. By the time I got to him, he righted himself and swam away. Bordering on too warm to C&R. Best I've seen the fishing on there in a while. NO suckers either Corey!!

Posted on: 2010/6/12 19:16

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

GreenMan wrote:
I think someone died in the tulpehocken yesterday where it enters the schuylkill river...
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=226905

Where were the kids parents ?

Posted on: 2010/6/12 20:25

From Eastern PA
Quote:
I like to fish ants during the tricos there.

For what it's worth, without seeing it actually go down, I can't fault the guy that took your spot. He probably figured you left. Them's the breaks on a crowded stream.

Interesting that you say that, as I thought I did not have my trikes with me and was going to pull the hackle off my fur ants and give them a fling.

And you are right, I am sure that he thought I was moving on. It was not his fault, it was that freaking fish that I pounded senseless with my triple caddis rig, perfect casts, perfect drifts, etc that would move around my caddis to take a trico (before I figured out what he was taking). That fish was the one that made me figure it out and I wanted to talk to him for a minute to thank him . . . . . .

Posted on: 2010/6/12 21:41

Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
j's report says it all. I was fishing caddis and didn't even look to see what was on the water. I hooked 9 fish in the first 15 minutes so I had the right fly as far as I knew. I continued my 5-8 fish hooked and lost average before I actually got one to net. jdaddy witnessed it so it's not my imagination. I'm having serious issues with keeping fish hooked. Anywho, after the rising slowed down, we changed to a nymph rig with indi. We were hooked up every 3rd or 4th cast and landed another 7 fish or so. Left close to noon. Water was around 68-69 and didn't want to stress fish. Hooked one that fought for 15 seconds before coming unhooked. He the floated, belly up, to the top. By the time I got to him, he righted himself and swam away. Bordering on too warm to C&R. Best I've seen the fishing on there in a while. NO suckers either Corey!!

Gee I missed the invite thanks alot you know how BAD I wanna fish that stream.

All kidding aside, I'm heading there this week I swear! Prob monday mornin.

Posted on: 2010/6/13 0:33

From Enola, Pa.
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:

Nine fish in 15 minutes!

Now thats the way to start a day of fishing, I would say you had the right fly!

PaulG

Posted on: 2010/6/13 8:32

From Eastern PA
Went out again this morning, 06/13/2010 from 6:00 am to 8:30 am. More of the same. There was already someone in the Cacoosing confluence riffle, so I went up stream a bit and was welcomed by tons of risers. 22 poly spent wing female trico with a 22 male trico sparkle dun dropper. Caught a few on the sparkle dun. Took black sharpie to the 22 female for a sex change and began taking fish on the poly spent wing spinner. I again had to pull some of the poly out to thin the wing. I think I am going to tie some up with pearl crystal flash wings as I had quite a few refusals and am thinking the wing can be the only thing turning them off.

Posted on: 2010/6/13 10:18

From Berks County, PA
I fished the Palisades yesterday morning and landed several fish on dry tan caddis. The fish are getting wise to any type of caddis imitations and there were many refusals. Didn't see many Trico's up there while fishing.

Ron

Posted on: 2010/6/13 10:31

It's official, this stream has been spot burned due to this glowing report.

Delayed harvest guys.....you may begin your harvest on Tuesday!!

Posted on: 2010/6/14 9:26

From Chester County
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
It's official, this stream has been spot burned due to this glowing report.

Delayed harvest guys.....you may begin your harvest on Tuesday!!

Yup, this secret stream has been outted. Grease up your silk lines and have at it!...

Posted on: 2010/6/14 9:45

afish,

I'm through with silk line. I'm now using a line that's made from the tears of the poor. Doesn't float very well but it is soooo satisfying to use. Noisy like sharkskin except is a crying sound when it goes through the guides.

I used to be able to fish the tully and see only 20-30 other fisherman. Now there's so many guys standing in the creek, it's raising the water temps!

Posted on: 2010/6/14 10:12

From Chester County
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
afish,

I'm through with silk line. I'm now using a line that's made from the tears of the poor. Doesn't float very well but it is soooo satisfying to use. Noisy like sharkskin except is a crying sound when it goes through the guides.

I used to be able to fish the tully and see only 20-30 other fisherman. Now there's so many guys standing in the creek, it's raising the water temps!

Sight,

I'll take your word on the crowds. I used to fish the Tully quite a bit, but haven't made a trip there even once this year. When it was stocked with fingerlings the fish and fishing were decent. Now it's just another stocked stream and way too crowded to bother. There are many other streams closer or the same distance for me to fish that are not nearly so crowded, including many that have some wild fish.

If I do make it up there and hear some crying on the stream, I'll know it's either you....or your line. Either way I'll stop by and say hey.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 10:36

From Eastern PA
Quote:
I'm through with silk line. I'm now using a line that's made from the tears of the poor. Doesn't float very well but it is soooo satisfying to use.

Where do you come up with this crap? Your mind is twisted. LOL.

Good news is that you should be self sufficient in the tears department with all the fish you break off and the ensuing sob story . . . . BLAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted on: 2010/6/14 11:32

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com