Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Tea Creek, Mifflin County, 9/30/2013

From Lewistown, PA
I was hoping to hit Kishacoquillas creek tonight, just downstream of Reedsville, but I absolutely could not find an access point that wasn't posted! It was a little disappointing. So instead of exploring Kish Creek, I decided to give Tea Creek another try. The last two times I was there, the water was low and clear, and the only fish I saw were hunkered down at the bottom of a clear pool.

This time the water was still fairly low and very clear, so I used a 12 foot leader on a 3 weight line rather than the 9' leader of a 4 weight that I used previously.

All of that extra effort didn't help very much. That pool was still completely unfishable. Even the plunk of a lightly weighted nymph was enough to disturb those fish! In some of the faster water I did manage to get a couple takes on a small tan elk hair caddis, and brought in one small brook trout (he spit the hook as I was lifting him out of the water, so I'm counting it!).

There were lots of tiny, light colored flies hatching (cream midges or lightly colored BWO's?), some tan caddis (about size 14-16), and some light grayish mayflies (about size 16-18). I saw a sporadic rise here or there, mostly to the caddis flies, I believe.

I'm hoping to fish this stream again when the water is higher and stained so that the fish are easier to approach.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 21:06

Re: Tea Creek, Mifflin County, 9/30/2013

Try a terrestrial pattern, such an ant or beetle or green inchworm.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 21:48

From Richfield, PA
Jeremy, for Kish try the park at the bottom of Meadowfield drive. Or the big parking lot at the new bridge in Yeagertown. Or any where around Derry park.

That should be all the access you ever need.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 17:40
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

From Hunker
Always wanted to try fishing Tea Creek after reading about it in Pennsylvania Streams and Hatches by Charlie Meck.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 18:38
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com