Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Susquehanna River, Susquehanna County, 8/18/12

From Lehigh Valley
Canoed from Susquehanna Depot to Hallstead with a friend - about 8 miles. We took our good ol' time - on the water about 7am, took out about 8pm. Miles of dead water in this stretch, I wouldn't really recommend this particular float. That being said...

Had an amazing day on the river, and I was into a dozen fish within the first 2 hours. Plenty of action wherever there was moving water. The majority of bass we caught were between 8" and 12" - my largest topping out at around 15". We tried Clousers and rabbit fur streamers, etc., but olive or brown crayfish patterns were by far what they wanted most. Drift, hang, strip, strip... THUD! Between two of us we probably caught close to 50 SMBs. Also caught some of the largest fallfish I've ever seen - up to 18". Even at that size I just can't get much joy from catching one...

Crayfish everywhere; lotsa minnows and giant freshwater clams. Also saw deer crossing the river, dozens of blue and green herons, and at least two bald eagles. Whiteflies and some huge mayfly (hex?) started coming off around 7. Noted a couple larger boils but mostly fallfish and dinks feeding on them. Didn't fish the hatch. I was on the road headed for home by 9, already thinking about next time...

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/8/19 16:13

Re: Susquehanna River, Susquehanna County, 8/18/12

From Lehigh Valley
Kabutt,
great post great pics too.I prefer the North Branch. I also prefer the Clouser Crayfish,Wooly Buggers,Bucktail streamers,and also poppers. Glad you had a great trip.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 20:12

From Chester County
Nice!

Posted on: 2012/8/20 7:29

From Lehigh Valley
Is that what this section is commonly referred to as - the "North Branch"?

Posted on: 2012/8/20 8:21

From Chester County
Quote:

Kabutt wrote:

Yup. There are two branches of the Susky - the west and north branch. They meet at Sunbury, and the River is called the mainstem or main branch downstream of there.

The north branch can be followed all the way up into NY State (you were pretty close to NY in Hallstead).

Glad you had some good fishin' up there.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 8:35

Quote:

Kabutt wrote:

The official USGS name for it is just the "Susquehanna River", and that is how it is labeled on maps. But it is commonly called the North Branch Susquehanna River.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 8:47

From York County
Hmm, not often one of spots from up there gets burnt.

Kidding, but really, Hallstead, Susquehanna, and Great Bend were all my stomping grounds about 15 years ago. Some excellent fishing up that way for all species. Especially trout, pickerel and perch.

No trout ? No, not in the Susquehanna, lol

Remember though, that section of river is upstream from Binghamton NY. The river flows into PA for about 15 miles or so then northward back into NY before entering PA again a whole county to the west in Sayre.

I have never posted a stream report from up in that area but it's good to hear someone enjoyed a section of river I used to fish.

By the way, the dam in Susquehanna (the town) only just recently failed. Don't know if you floated from above or below it, but it was destroyed a few years back. Ivan ?

I did see the picture of the tressel so I assume you saw the dam ruins.

Thanks for posting,

Jake

Posted on: 2012/8/20 8:47

From Lehigh Valley
Cool. I realized where I was geographically, just wondered if this stretch that flows out of NY then back into NY was referred to as the North Branch to distinguish it from the portion that comes back into PA at Sayre.

We put in right in Susquehanna, and had to portage the dam ruins before too long. That's part of the reason I made it a point to say I wouldn't recommend the float. We had to take everything out of the canoe and carry it over the old dam breast which was about ten feet high. 'Twas a bit of a challenge. Definitely a good thing the dam's been breached - lots of nice water above and below.

I would never spot burn a trout stream or somewhere I thought might suffer from my reporting of good fishing. I thought in this case it would be okay. Wading access would involve miles of walking, and floaters are in for miles of paddling between riffles. And, as I mentioned, the portage is a b!tch! Glad my post sparked up a little nostalgia for ya, Jake!

Posted on: 2012/8/20 9:26

Quote:

Kabutt wrote:
Cool. I realized where I was geographically, just wondered if this stretch that flows out of NY then back into NY was referred to as the North Branch to distinguish it from the portion that comes back into PA at Sayre.

The informal term "North Branch Susquehanna River" refers to the entire upper Susquehanna River, from its origin to its confluence with the West Branch.

I don't know if that loop has a particular name. You could make one up!

Posted on: 2012/8/20 11:32

From Nicholson PA
Ran from mahoppeny to tunkhannock a while ago and had the same dead water paddled all day.Didnt have the same luck fishing as you but still had a good day.Thinking of doing a moon cruz next full moon.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 14:12

From York County
Technically it is just the Susquehanna up there. People down in this part of the state call it the North branch which it is not, however geograghically they would be correct and it helps avoiding confusion when one says north branch as it does flow from Cooperstown NY.

I didn't see your post as a spot burn, I was joking. That entire area up there is like a complete void on the map. It has many natural lakes and nice small streams and clear water that hardly ever sees any anglers. Basically it is a poor area with not much economy and few attractions and not many people pass through the area. But from living up there I know that just about anywhere you take a rod you will find some fish from brookies to bass.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 17:10

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
I didn't see your post as a spot burn, I was joking. That entire area up there is like a complete void on the map. It has many natural lakes and nice small streams and clear water that hardly ever sees any anglers. Basically it is a poor area with not much economy and few attractions and not many people pass through the area.

It's cool man, I didn't take offense. You're right - typical small-town atmosphere. I've been all over PA and I just love driving through all the little towns and communities.

Quote:

troutbert wrote:
I don't know if that loop has a particular name. You could make one up!

Kinda leaning toward Upper North Branch...

An interesting side note: At one point the river runs past the Aaronic Priesthood Restoration site. You can't see anything from the river... However, this is the place where the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints believe that somewhere in the woods nearby the resurrected St. John the Baptist descended from heaven and bestowed his teachings or some crap upon Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormon faith. Aliens?

Posted on: 2012/8/20 18:04

From York County
Lol, I know the place.

It's on the north side of the river. Right in between Penn-Can Speed way and a really good ice cream joint outside of Great Bend.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 18:26

From York County
The "loop" should probably be referred to as the Great Bend, hence the name of the town and township that sits along its north shore. The large area of state game lands to the south is also referred to as the Great Bend state game lands. Typically the whole area is referred to geographically as Great Bend.

The river up there reminds me a lot like lower sections of Pine Creek below Blackwell, it's a much smaller river than the Susquehanna most people know.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 18:36

From Berks County
Thanks for bringing back some memories. Fished that area of the Susquehanna many times about 20 years again when i lived closer (nobody called it the North Branch back then, pretty funny). We fished all day and drank beer at Lakey's at night. Those were the days. I wonder it the fishing is better without the dam slowing the flow.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 21:12

- S. Curtis

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com