Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Stony Creek in Somerset county 4/26/2013

From WV
Saw an unbelievable hatch of grannom at mid-day near Stoystown. Bugs were in clouds along Route 30 and in the village of Stoystown near Stony Creek. They were EVERYWHERE in and around the roads and water and even the townspeople were commenting on the numbers of the bugs as they covered windshields and swarmed your face.

I was there on business and didn't have time to do much exploring and have yet to fish this stream and wasn't able to see any rises.

Does anyone have any experience with this hatch on Stony Creek??

Posted on: 2013/4/27 12:15

Re: Stony Creek in Somerset county 4/26/2013

From South Central PA
Never fished it. Access is tough. PFBC stocks fingerlings. Not sure how far down the good trout water goes. At any rate, a blizzard of grannoms has to be a good indicator if they came from there, given all the problems that river has endured.

Posted on: 2013/4/27 21:59

From Lancaster Co.
I crossed over Stony Creek heading west on Route 30 around 6:00pm Friday evening, 4/26, and can attest to this hatch. Not sure if they are grannoms but definitely caddis. I was stopped at the light before you get to 281 and they were swarming everywhere.

I've only fished Stony Creek a couple of times in the summer and that was upstream of Route 30 closer to Shanksville. There is a covered bridge over the stream here and you could park and access the creek from there. Caught plenty of fingerlings but nothing of any size.

Posted on: 2013/4/28 11:14

From Bucks County or Bridgeville
Access is a cake walk. You have a RR that follows the stream. Park at the covered bridge and go as far as you wish. LOTS of bears and snakes, but no fish.

Posted on: 2013/4/28 23:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com