Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Spring Creek, Centre County, 9/21/12

Had to go up and get my brother for my sister's wedding this past friday, so I figured I might as well get in a few hours on spring creek while he finished up class. Fished from 7-12. I went to psu and i am used to fishing spring creek when its 100-250 cfs, certainly not when its 50cfs. It was crystal clear, and I spooked a ton of fish throughout the day. Actually, kind of interesting to walk the stream when its as low and clear as it is during the summer, because you can see the density this stream holds. I was fishing the paradise stretch and didnt turn a single fish for the first two hours. I was becoming mildly disheartened, when i stumbled upon the form of a nice 14 incher25-30 feet away--easy peasy cast. Tied on a black ant and made my cast. Boom, two freaking dogs pounce on top of my fly line, and my potential hook up. One of the dogs gets tangled in my line and is somehow hooked. While the owner was moaning and groaning over a size 16 barbless, i was contemplating the beating this guy and his hippie wife deserve. The dog thing really gets me worked up, but i digress. I assumed that was a sign from the spring creek diety, that I would be walking away with the skunk. Not to be though! Nymphing the same run where I was ambushed by two hounds produced a solid 14" brown. I couldnt believe my luck had changed that quickly. Nymphing a setup of a super heavy #12 olive caddis, trailing a #16 tan walt's worm, and finished with a #22 black midge produced for me. I ended the last 2.5 hours with 7 fish in the net, and another 3-4 hooked and lost. It was a real shame I had to head back with half a day left, but it was nice to get back on the stream where it all started. Didnt see another angler, how about that!

Attach file:

jpg  1.jpg (183.77 KB)
4455_505fc55edb3c9.jpg 2096X1572 px

jpg  29.jpg (173.33 KB)
4455_505fc5670a5af.jpg 1478X1108 px

jpg  32.jpg (167.18 KB)
4455_505fc57033ee4.jpg 1337X1003 px

Posted on: 2012/9/23 22:29

Re: Spring Creek, Centre County, 9/21/12
From Dallastown, PA
Nice report.

I wonder, was the opening of the canyon "worth it" to the angler. I mean with all the extra hiking traffic and dogs. Seemed before when it was dead ends in both directions the solitude was greater.

I think it is worth it. It can be stressful however to have to deal with people unable to control their pets.

I had an experience this weekend where when parking to fish I saw another car and two dogs get out. Three people and two large dogs. I let them get a head start as I was not into dealing with having to walk in stride with them. So I went and looked at the water upstream and gave it 15 minutes. When I got back another car had pulled up and a Older couple and another bird dog got out to walk. Noticed this car had a TU sticker. They got a head start too as I still had to dress. On my way in I passed the big dogs coming back, it was all the owners could do to restrain them from eating me. I don't acknowledge dogs or their owners unless I know them because I respect their privicy as I expect them to respect mine. I just turn toward the water and wait for them to pass. The woman being dragged toward me apologizes and I nod. As I walk away I wonder what they must say to themselves about their animals behavior in public.

A ways down the path I come up to and pass the older couple, the springer spaniel is full of life, 20 yards ahead. The master calls it back, It turns and then goes forward again, I am now between the dog and the master. I noticed the orange collar on the dog and the hand held orange device in the mans hand. HE calls again and the dog turns and turns away again, then come on the third call but not before stopping at me. He commands come again and the dog responds. I did not acknowledge the dog because I did not want to interfere with the obvious training effort. Seemed like a nice enough dog though.

Then when the dog got back I heard a high pitched beep and a loud yelp from the pooch. He zapped the dog for not responding properly. I felt kinda sorry for the dog but I suspect this is SOP in that type of training.

A mile or so in I caught a glimpse of the same same woman snapping a shot of me casting to a rising fish. I imagine the guy witht hte TU sticker was chomping at the bit as he was walking the dog and wife rather than fishing. Hehe.

Anyway, just though I would share. Sorry to derail.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 23:15

From chester county
Sucks about the dog, but at least that didn't turn out to be your only chance!

Friend and I were there Friday evening and between the two of us only landed one 4" brown. I lost a decent fish and we both missed a few small ones. Nice job!

Posted on: 2012/9/23 23:26

From Pittsburgh
The opening of the canyon was a good thing but the publicity, parking lot, signs, brochures, and bridge were not. Guy can't even pee there anymore... Nice fish, glad you go the chance to fish spring again.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 23:52

From Morrisville
First nice fish glad you figured out what they wanted.
Second Maurice the proper way for use of an "E-Collar" would have been to use it the first time the dog did not listen, NOT once it finally did. to me that says bad dog you listened. I also am not a big fan of using the shock feature. A friend of mine has an E-Collar for his German Wire Hair that has a vibrate setting which is all the dog ever needed including as a puppy training with live birds the first time. But JMO

Posted on: 2012/9/24 5:52

From Etters,Pa
[Quote:
First nice fish glad you figured out what they wanted. Second Maurice the proper way for use of an "E-Collar" would have been to use it the first time the dog did not listen, NOT once it finally did. to me that says bad dog you listened. I also am not a big fan of using the shock feature. A friend of mine has an E-Collar for his German Wire Hair that has a vibrate setting which is all the dog ever needed including as a puppy training with live birds the first time. But JMO Posted on: Today 5:52

I agree with above. I raised hunting dogs for about 25 yrs and that's just the wrong message he was sending to the dog. That's the kind of person who needs a collar around his neck also so every time he presses the button he's reminded how HE failed to train his dog correctly. Then mabey he would put more time into proper dog training.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 8:57

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

beerbyrnes wrote:
The opening of the canyon was a good thing but the publicity, parking lot, signs, brochures, and bridge were not. Guy can't even pee there anymore...

So true. The few times I fished Spring this spring I found there to be much more non-fishing foot traffic, but not necessarily more fishermen down in there. It did, however, seem like the "opening" of the canyon diverted more anglers downstream and the pressure on the water above the hatchery had lessened.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 9:34

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Quote:
One of the dogs gets tangled in my line and is somehow hooked. While the owner was moaning and groaning over a size 16 barbless, i was contemplating the beating this guy and his hippie wife deserve.

What's worse is the sudden interest in Spring Creek as a float trip. I accessed the canyon from Benner Springs and was near the dam. Two idiots in canoes come floating by oblivious to the 12 ft dam just below. People this isn't the Yough we have here.

After ruining my fishing, I did get some enjoyment watching them portage around the dam. Similar issues on Yellow Breeches this year.

I just find it curious that these people currently using this area did little to save it from Penn State's developiment plans but seem to be reaping the benefits. Just think part of your hunting and fishing license dollars went to cause you aggravation by hipsters!

Posted on: 2012/9/24 11:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com