Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Spring Creek, Centre Co, 9/15/13

From Northern VA
Fished Spring Creek Park area in the evening. It has hardly rained in this area lately and everywhere is low and clear. I did not expect to have a good day, but after watching the Eagles 3-pt loss a day after standing and screaming through PSU's 3-pt loss I had to get out. Glad I did. Good numbers of caddis in the air when i got to the water around 5:45 pm with several trout leaping out of the water and a few more calmly sipping the bugs. Loads of midges as well, but it didn't seem like any of the trout were eating them.

I started off with a #18 EHC and luckily that was all I needed. As it got darker I went up in size to try to hook some of the nicer fish that I was missing (still got plenty of takes). My first fish of the evening was a little rainbow, probably wild. After that I landed 5 browns up to 10" before deciding it was too dark. Things really went nuts right before dark, I haven't seen that much activity on spring creek since the sulphur hatch. Most of the fish wanted the fly skated directly across or slightly upstream. skating such a small fly led to lots of misses but it was a blast watching them chase! I did get a few takes by dead-drifting as well, including one big fish that immediately broke off. I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice the take until the fish was already running! I'm not sure exactly how big it was, but I'll be back for that one.

Attach file:

jpg  rainbow.jpg (181.58 KB)
7984_52368de03d6e9.jpg 785X980 px

Posted on: 2013/9/16 0:49

Re: Spring Creek, Centre Co, 9/15/13

From Lancaster
Sounds like a nice evening. Good report. I really wish I could get up that way and get a chance to fish Spring Creek more. What a fishery! As far as football goes, there is always next week.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 6:22

Re: Spring Creek, Centre Co, 9/15/13

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Mirrors my experience at Spring lately

Posted on: 2013/9/16 22:44

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com