Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

South Branch Coduros Creek, York County?, 3/9/2014

From York PA
Went to the SR 0616 Section of CC (open to year around fishing). Arrived around 9 am fished the section with Riparian Preservation sign. Caught and released two small fish first 1/2 hour by the bridge (both browns). Picture is of the larger fish. 11" Not sure of water temp but water was relatively clear (slightly stained). Fished until 11 am but no other takers. Caught on the dreaded green inch worm. Switched up to other green zebra nymph but no other takers. I am thinking buggers might have done the trick but didn't tie one on. Regardless nice cold day on the water.

Attach file:

jpg  brown trout 3_9_2014.jpg (125.58 KB)
9211_531d0f3963683.jpg 1073X805 px

Posted on: 3/9 21:04

Edited by JackM on 2014/3/10 11:26:50
Edited by JackM on 2014/3/10 11:27:40

Re: South Branch CC year around section

Good to hear some news about that stretch. Looks like a stockie holdover for a couple of reasons, but the most obvious one in this pose is the shape of the dorsal fin.

Posted on: 3/9 22:03

From Gettysburg
Glenny,
Please note that, when submitting reports, we ask for the title line to include Stream Name, County, Date. If you seek to keep the stream name secret, the report should be included in a different forum as we ask for our reports to identify waterways in this particular forum. I will edit your title line to reflect the preferred format. When was the date you fished?
Not a big deal - just helps to keep the forum standardized and assists with search function.
Thanks,
DW

Posted on: 3/10 7:20

From York PA
DW

Thanks for the catch. Catches made at 3/9/2014. South Branch Codorus Creek. Not sure of the road but down stream from Centerville at the Riparian section. They are doing a lot of work to preserve the creeks banks there.

Glen

Posted on: 3/10 11:12

Re: South Branch Coduros Creek, York County?, 3/9/2014

From Glen Rock, PA
It's Springfield road. They have been doing work all winter. I live right around there and have not been having much luck the couple time I went out on south branch so far this year.

Posted on: 3/10 21:25

From York, PA
So this is not the TT section near spring grove?

Posted on: 3/12 21:01

From Glen Rock PA
I have picked up a few on olive who so far this year in that water no luck on bh prince or bh hares ear. been fishing for about 2 or 3 weeks but only a few hours here and there

Posted on: 3/12 21:48

From Ohio
Good for you. Wish I had the time to get out on the water.

Posted on: 3/13 7:04

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

sipe wrote:
So this is not the TT section near spring grove?

No the TT section in on the Codorus proper which passes by and picks up the outflow of Lake Marburg.

The South Branch comes up from the New Freedom area of the State line and passes through Railroad, Glenrock, Centerville and Seven Valleys. The section along the south end of Rte. 616 is Open to Year Round Fishing. From Centerville to Granary Road Bridge.

Posted on: 3/13 7:53

Maurice is correct, plus that S Branch section is stocked in season only and supports what at one time was a small to moderate wild brown pop. I had hopes that it was on its way to a possible class A. The stream has substantial storm water runoff problems, which degrade habitat. Nevertheless, the wild BT pop had been growing and expanding its range through the 1980's and early to mid-1990's. There are wild BT as far upstream as Railroad and in an unnamed trib.

Posted on: 3/13 12:16

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Maurice is correct, plus that S Branch section is stocked in season only and supports what at one time was a small to moderate wild brown pop. I had hopes that it was on its way to a possible class A. The stream has substantial storm water runoff problems, which degrade habitat. Nevertheless, the wild BT pop had been growing and expanding its range through the 1980's and early to mid-1990's. There are wild BT as far upstream as Railroad and in an unnamed trib.

Mike they are finishing somewhere around 3,000+ ft of stream restoration in the springfield area of that stretch. There will be lots of big fish habitat (read deep pools) following rock cross vanes that should push the pop up a bit.

Posted on: 3/13 18:24

Sounding good. That is probably what it needs.

Posted on: 3/13 21:19

From York PA
Yes the Riparian work they are doing seems to be definitely helping. i caught 2 small native browns about 5 inches each last year. They were such pretty little fish.

Posted on: 3/14 7:37

From Glen Rock, PA
Going to just post this here instead of start a new thread. the section of s codorus between centerville and grainery is not on the stocking schedule for opening day this year. But, a neighbor of mine said that they had seen it being stocked in this section.I was making plans to go elsewhere tomorrow, so I grabbed the fly rod quick and walked down to verify this really quick because I live right there. I was fishing the first hole and these two dudes that i guess helped with float stocking start telling me that i know im not allowed to be fishing right? I said that I def I'm allowed to be fishing and stood my ground.went back and fourth for a while and they said its not there problem if pfbc catches me big fine etc. I was absolutely not harvesting. went back and checked the regs..

Waters with this designation are considered “approved trout waters.” From 8 a.m. opening day of trout through Sept. 1, Commonwealth inland size and creel limits apply. From Jan. 1 through Feb. 28, and from Sept. 2 through Dec. 31, “extended season” size and creel limits apply. These waters are open to fishing from March 1 through opening day of trout season; however, no trout may be taken or possessed on these waters during this period.

I know I wasn't doing anything illegal correct? Anyway, I caught and quickly released two trout out of the one hole I fished, so they are there.

Posted on: 3/28 19:38

From Gettysburg
Quote:

D-Rock023 wrote:
Waters with this designation are considered “approved trout waters.” From 8 a.m. opening day of trout through Sept. 1, Commonwealth inland size and creel limits apply. From Jan. 1 through Feb. 28, and from Sept. 2 through Dec. 31, “extended season” size and creel limits apply. These waters are open to fishing from March 1 through opening day of trout season; however, no trout may be taken or possessed on these waters during this period.
I know I wasn't doing anything illegal correct? Anyway, I caught and quickly released two trout out of the one hole I fished, so they are there.

Strange situation. I'm not familiar with that section and wouldn't know the boundaries. To be sure, many anglers are unaware of the year round fishing regs on some of these streams and these fellas were likely confused(?). Did these fellas stock the wrong section?

Hopefully Maurice or someone familiar with that stream can clarify the situation and verify that you were, in fact, in the section open to year round fishing.

Posted on: 3/28 21:40

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com