Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Shenango River, Mercer County, 5/26/13

From Lancaster, PA
Per Streamerguy's previous post and Boychick's advice, I decided to go down to the Shenango below the dam and try my luck on dries. Went from about 4 to 8:30. Only 2 gates open so the water was pretty low. Didn't get a temp but the water was a little warm when I put my hand in. Got a couple bluegills on a zebra midge while slinging it below an elk hair caddis. I then went exclusively to the caddis only. Most of the action was in the shadows, and I managed to get 2 browns and one rainbow right underneath the downed tree downstream from the dam. it wasn't easy though because it was difficult to get a good hook set without the possibility of getting hung up in the low hanging branches, and most of the rises were right along the log. Right around 7:30 the caddis hatch was in full force and trout were rising everywhere. I switched to a lighter colored caribou caddis and netted 3 more rainbows in the slow pools right below the damn. Not only was it a great evening of fishing, it was great to take advantage of a stream/river that has an abundant hatch to get good practice using dries. I will definitely be going back again soon.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 22:07

Re: Shenango River, Mercer County, 5/26/13

From Ohio
Awesome!! Happy to hear the fish are still active and you had some great dry fly action! I just may have to make another evening run this week sometime ;)

Posted on: 2013/5/27 19:48

From Lancaster, PA
I plan on going down wednesday evening after work. If that works for ya I'll cya there

Posted on: 2013/5/27 21:10

From Ohio
There's a chance I(and maybe my brother) will be able to fish it tomorrow evening also. Gonna be a game time decision. I know for sure I can't Thursday or Friday. We'll be either by the bridge or up below the dam, or both.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 19:09

Going to make a trip to Shenango River next week end what is a good flow for the river

Posted on: 2013/9/29 13:23

From Ohio
Usually about 1 to 3 gates, 4 at the most. Even during "low" flows the Shenango is still at a decent level. Right now it's at 264 cfs which is about the lowest it'll get yet it's still a good fishable level.

Fished it today for about two hours. Got some bass, but overall it was slow. The ones I got though were of decent size and healthy, strong fish. Some caddis were flying around but didn't see any rises. I might be back on it next Sunday, and ideally during the week but I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull it off..

ps, would you by any chance happen to be the same V Fisher that's on an Ohio forum?

Posted on: 2013/9/29 16:37

Edited by streamerguy on 2013/9/29 16:59:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com