Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Salmon River 9/22-9/24

Well, here is the honest assessment on the Salmon. Fish are In the river and it is quite a few of them. The lower river is an absolute zoo! The antics on the river with the low water are disgusting but honestly its impossible to not foul hook fish. Back to the low water it is as bad as I have ever seen it. Most fish are held up in the deep holes and when they come out they get wacked easily so its very hard for them to run up. The reservoir is drastically low and more than likely the low water is here to stay through steelhead season. All in all its always nice to spend time up there beautiful river despite the people and fall is in full swing! If your headed up my advice take your camera relax watch the crazies and leave with low expectations.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 17:02

Re: Salmon River 9/22-9/24

From North Central PA
Agreed! The returns this year are amazing. However, I feel the returns seen this year are in fact normal to previous years. Its just that the water level is so low (and clear) that most anglers are actually getting a firsthand look at ALL the fish... not just the few they could see through the high muddy flows of previous years.

But you are on the money with the antics... it's worse this year than in the last decade. The DEC guys have been writing 3x's as many tickets.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 10:58

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I'll be up there 2 weeks from today. Can't wait. Thanks for the report.

Weather looks like there's some rain coming, but most watersheds need a week straight of rain to get back to normal levels.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/pula ... er/339745?monyr=10/1/2012

Posted on: 2012/9/27 12:10

From Bethlehem, PA
You are correct that the lower river is indeed a zoo, especially on weekends. I was up this past Friday, 9/28, and two weeks prior to that, 9/14, both time to the Douglaston Salmon Run. If you're not familiar with the Salmon River, DSR is 2.5 miles of private water just above the estuary. It costs $45/day (in addition to the NY license) to fish there. It is artificials only but most fisherman use flies. While it can be a true zoo on weekends (I won't go on a weekend), it is still somewhat less of a zoo than the rest of the river. During the week, especially Monday thru Thursday, it has far fewer anglers. You'll find more on Friday, typically folks who are doing a 3-day weekend. There are a couple of things that make the DSR a better experience, crowd wise, than other places on the SR. It is fairly closely patrolled and the assholes, snaggers, and pigs are evicted. (I've seen them throw guys out for being assholes and for snagging.) There is also no alcohol allowed. All of this tends to keep out the ribbon clerks, if you will.

That said, you won't be alone on the river but I've found that I can have an enjoyable day because with one exception (whom the DSR wardens tossed off the river), all the people I've come in contact with there are friendly and polite. Beyond that too, I will never be able to afford to go to the places where I could be alone and catch salmonids that large. Both Fridays I was up this year, I truly caught fish 'til my arms ached and had numerous fish take me down to the backing. Last Friday I caught the biggest brown I ever caught in my life, an 8-9 lb. football, along with kings mostly 25-30#+, cohos, and a steelhead that shot across the river in less than the blink of an eye. Like I said, I can't afford to go to the places to have this experience in solitary environment and for that reason, I'll tolerate the people I encounter.

Posted on: 2012/10/1 9:47

The fisherman: He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink and the truth is not in him.

From Bethlehem, PA
I'd offer a comment on foul hooking fish. Depending on how you fish, you can reduce the likelihood of a foul hook. I pretty much dead drift whatever I fish on the bottom. At the end of the cast, let the fly swing in the current, especially wooly buggers, egg sucking leeches, and various nymph patterns (a big black stone fly works well on the SR), and lift so the fly rises off the bottom, not at all unlike doing the same thing for trout. I've had most of the fish I've caught take the fly at the end of the drift just as it comes off the bottom. Some of them will hammer the fly while other will take it gently. The last 2 trips probably 75-80 % of the fish I hooked and landed were legal hookups. Given the number of fish, though, you need to be careful on the drift because you'll actually feel them bumping into the line. If you strike at that time, you'll almost always foul hook a fish.

Posted on: 2012/10/1 13:11

The fisherman: He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink and the truth is not in him.

From Cleona, Pa
I fished it on Friday. There was lots of folks there but it wasn't bad once you found your spot. You just stay there, the fish keep coming in. Was my first time for salmon and was a blast. Totally different from steelhead indi fishing there. Took some getting used to, and I did foul hook a couple til I was told by the guide at the end of the drift gently lift up. That lessens foul hooking.

I'm planning on doing it again

Posted on: 2012/10/1 20:53

I was fishing the DSR on Monday, Oct. 1. In over 25 years of fishing the Salmon River, this is the first time I had to quit fishing because I could no longer fight the fish. I fished from daybreak till about 4 with a long lunch break in there. The cohos were moving up all day long. What a rocket to try and land, but it can be done. Also I think the $45 is well worth it to fish for fresh, non pressured fish as these are the biters. Pluse the added security knowing your vehicle won't be broken into while you're fishing......

Posted on: 2012/10/2 19:57

From Hatfield, Pa.
Biggie,
Good report, sounds like a great problem to have. Where did you stay we are looking at another steelhead trip in the spring?

Bob

Posted on: 2012/10/3 7:29

From Quakertown, pa
Buffalo if you go up in the spring let me know. I lived up there for quite a few years and know a few small creeks that get next to no pressure and still get an awesome salmon, steelhead and Brown tout run.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 7:56

From Hatfield, Pa.
Damman,
Thanks, I'll do that.
We have been going for a couple years now, a couple old farts that grew up in Philly and use it as a reason to get together. We did well last spring, our guides put us on fish every day.
Think Biggie has a good idea with the DSR though, don't think we would need a guide.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 8:37

From Quakertown, pa
I have never used a guide. I might use a guide to lake fish. But then again a friend of mine is a guide up there. Plus I have another friend that lives 2 minutes from the black hole on the SR

Posted on: 2012/10/3 8:47

From Quakertown, pa
Shoot me a PM for more details

Posted on: 2012/10/3 8:47

From Eastern PA
Quote:

buffalo wrote:
Damman,
Thanks, I'll do that.
We have been going for a couple years now, a couple old farts that grew up in Philly and use it as a reason to get together. We did well last spring, our guides put us on fish every day.
Think Biggie has a good idea with the DSR though, don't think we would need a guide.

The DSR is not a forgone conclusion in the Spring imo. The steelhead will be spread out through the river.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 10:52

I totally agree with jdaddy. By mid november the steelhead are from top to bottom of that river. They are plenty fresh also you would be amazed at how fast they can get up river when they want to. Think of out west when they come out of the pacific and run rivers as far as idaho. They can manage to get up the couple miles of the Salmon river in no time.

I can understand fishing the DSR during the salmon run. If i could afford it on my blue collar wages I would also. But after the salmon are gone most people up there are real fisherman looking for legit hookups. Just cant see the point in limiting yourself the DSR.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 18:48

Buffalo, as a few guys have stated, I wouldn't pay to fish the DSR in the spring. There are steelies all over the river at that time. Threre are less people too. Although the last two years have seen a major increase in the crowds because of the increase in the steelie numbers and the nice weather last winter. If you can book the 1880's House, you won't be dissapointed. I stayed at the Steelhead Lodge this past weekend and it was nice too. Just remember at the 1880's you get a nice breakfast and Linda makes homemade soup and bread thoughout the day for her guests.......with all that said, threre are steellies and browns in the DSR in the spring too, and I like the water down there alot.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 21:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com