Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Salmon River, Pulaski NY, 2/11/2011

cope,I have been fishing the SR for many years so maybe I can help.
First if you do not have boots with spikes you must get them before wading the SR,slippery rocks and strong currents can be dangerous up there as it is a bigger stream then anything in Erie.
Same rod,line,terminal equipment.Flies would be same as Erie,glo bugs,sucker spawn,nympths,etc. size 10-16,streamers size 12-8,Steelhead are the same where ever you find them.
At this time of the year temps rise and the rains come,the SR can rise to a level that is almost unfishable and very dangerous to a newbie,plan your trip accordingly.However if you go and the water changes quickly there are smaller tribs in the area that you can try,the Sandy's (3),Grindstone,Little Salmon,and a few others.Anything flowing into the lake gets a run in high water.
There is very little access concerns on the SR and several well marked parking areas.The Lower Fly Zone is always good and always crowded,below the bridge in Altmar down to Pineville is good at this time of year.Later in the spring the entire SR will have fish as they start dropping back.Also the UFZ opens again April 1 and that's a nice area.
If you can afford one a good guide that specializes in FF would be worth the money up there,would cut the learning curve down.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 17:52

From Chester County
Quote:

troutwilleatflies wrote:
cope,I have been fishing the SR for many years so maybe I can help.
First if you do not have boots with spikes you must get them before wading the SR,slippery rocks and strong currents can be dangerous up there as it is a bigger stream then anything in Erie.
Same rod,line,terminal equipment.Flies would be same as Erie,glo bugs,sucker spawn,nympths,etc. size 10-16,streamers size 12-8,Steelhead are the same where ever you find them.
At this time of the year temps rise and the rains come,the SR can rise to a level that is almost unfishable and very dangerous to a newbie,plan your trip accordingly.However if you go and the water changes quickly there are smaller tribs in the area that you can try,the Sandy's (3),Grindstone,Little Salmon,and a few others.Anything flowing into the lake gets a run in high water.
There is very little access concerns on the SR and several well marked parking areas.The Lower Fly Zone is always good and always crowded,below the bridge in Altmar down to Pineville is good at this time of year.Later in the spring the entire SR will have fish as they start dropping back.Also the UFZ opens again April 1 and that's a nice area.
If you can afford one a good guide that specializes in FF would be worth the money up there,would cut the learning curve down.

All good info by TWEF. I've had some great days fishing the SR in March, but as TWEF pointed out, it really depends on the flow. Be careful!..but have fun. Good luck.

Posted on: 2011/2/28 7:28

From Hatfield, Pa.
He guys, some help please. We booked a float on the Salmon River for the 14 and 15th of April and I have some questions.
-Are felt boots (studded) waders OK?
-Is lead shot OK if I bring it from home?
-I’m tying flies and I use lead to weigh my flies, is that OK
-When I’m fishing stockers in the beginning of the season I sometimes tie on a stinger hook on the back of my streamers to deal with the short strikes … can I use more than one hook on a fly?
Thanks,
Buffalo

Posted on: 2011/2/28 15:11

From Chester County
Quote:

buffalo wrote:
He guys, some help please. We booked a float on the Salmon River for the 14 and 15th of April and I have some questions.
-I’m tying flies and I use lead to weigh my flies, is that OK
-When I’m fishing stockers in the beginning of the season I sometimes tie on a stinger hook on the back of my streamers to deal with the short strikes … can I use more than one hook on a fly?
Thanks,
Buffalo

Yes, but as when fishing anywhere and moving to another stream clean them thoroughly or use another pair until they dry completely,

Yes, but split shot or any weight cannot be greater than 4' from your hook

-I’m tying flies and I use lead to weigh my flies, is that OK?

Yes, you can weight flies up to 1/8 of an ounce

No, one hook / fly

Here is a link with the SR regs:
http://www.fishsalmonriver.com/Regs.asp#salmon

Here are the regs for the FFing section of the SR:
http://www.fishsalmonriver.com/Regs.asp#fly

Good luck.

Posted on: 2011/2/28 15:44

Edited by afishinado on 2011/3/1 7:14:03

afishinando,you got the distance a weight can be from hook backwards,it can be no more than 4' from the hook.If it's more than 4' they will call you a liner and spank you.....with a citation.

Thanks TWEF. I edited the typo above.

Afish

Posted on: 2011/2/28 17:38

Edited by afishinado on 2011/3/1 7:16:17

buffalo,who are you going on that float with.Also,did you get word where you are putting in with the boat.Should be good on those dates as they will be everywhere by that time.

Posted on: 2011/2/28 17:43

From Hatfield, Pa.
First off, thanks for the help guys.
We are going with “ the fly rod shop” out of Stowe VT. , and don’t have any of the specifics yet, I wanted to get some input here before I talked to the guide.
We are a group of old farts that went to grade school together in the 60’s and still keep in touch, I’m in New Bloomfield, Pa. , one guy is in Golden Co. and the other is in Newport Vt. . Our yearly get together used to be for Mule Deer and Elk outside of Rifle Co. but our host and mentor had a heart attack and can’t make the trip any longer. So we are gonna' wet a line and drink some single malt in NY this year
Thanks again,
Buffalo

Posted on: 2011/3/1 13:10

From Lake Ariel PA
Won't be doing alot of wading right now. Absolutly must have a pair of Korkers and I believe some places like Douglston will not allow you to fish without korkers. Most recent instantaneous value: 2,140 03-14-2011 11:15 EST That's ripping for wading but I heard the drift boats are out there and a few couragous (Dumb) individuals attempting to wade or fish from the banks. I would say normal is 500 - 750 , 800 cfm's. i am no expert on the SR I usually fish west of it down at Oswego and a few other tribs . The oswego is running at 23,700 today so it will be awhile before I get back up there. These guys update very frequently and you can alawys call they give good solid Info.
http://whitakers.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/index.html

Posted on: 2011/3/14 12:47

See whats going on in real time.
Streaming 24/7 webcam, Pulaski NY.

http://www.flyty.com/srwc

Check it out, pass it on.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 23:10

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com