Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Salmon River, Oswego County, NY 10/3-6

From aliquippa
WOW awesome pics jay..hopefully the browns they are putting in erie will reach that size,

Posted on: 2009/10/19 10:45

From West Chester
i was down there on the same weekend. my first trip up there. we stayed at Stoney's Campground... a big mistake. that place is like a Pirate town from a movie... drinking, shooting, stabbing, fighting and general debauchery. all in good fun of course. we actually had a good time but i enjoy a little more peace and quiet.

the fishing wasn't very good for us. not really knowing the lay of the land, we were down there with all the snaggers trying to get whatever fish survive the lead gauntlet to take a fly. it wasn't happening. i'd like to go up again next year and approach it a little differently. for one thing, i'll head upstream where the fresher fish are.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 13:17

From Bozeman
Quote:

mystillwater wrote:
i was down there on the same weekend. my first trip up there. we stayed at Stoney's Campground... a big mistake. that place is like a Pirate town from a movie... drinking, shooting, stabbing, fighting and general debauchery. all in good fun of course. we actually had a good time but i enjoy a little more peace and quiet.

the fishing wasn't very good for us. not really knowing the lay of the land, we were down there with all the snaggers trying to get whatever fish survive the lead gauntlet to take a fly. it wasn't happening. i'd like to go up again next year and approach it a little differently. for one thing, i'll head upstream where the fresher fish are.

You mix "up" and "down" pretty freely. My girlfriend was born on long island and does the same thing. Any chance you were?

Just making sure- The fresher fish are downstream. The DSR is the way to go early in the season, IMO. PM me, and I can give you what info I have. I usually fish the same run every year, with plenty of fresh fish and elbow room. Perhaps we can meet up if we do the same weekend next year.

Welcome to the board!

Posted on: 2009/10/29 13:21

From West Chester
haha... whoops.. i'm not from long island... just mixed up.

i'll look you up next year for some of that info. i'd love to try again. it was a bummer going all the way up there and getting skunked. i guess thats always the risk you run, but i definitely didn't know much about the area a knew my chances were slim of just blindly figuring things out. one thing that took me by surprise was the whole snagging thing. i went in with an unrealistic expectation that all these people were catching fish on the fly. i obviously didn't do my homework. i didn't see a single fish hooked in the mouth out of maybe two dozen i saw caught. i'm not judging anyone... just not what i was expecting and not what i was into. i just got alot of casting practice and not a nibble.

a couple hours before we headed home i was chatting with an old-timer at the campground who told me he's been catching them on the fly for 25 years and gave me some pointers i wished i'd have had at the begining of the trip.

there's always next year!

Posted on: 2009/10/29 19:21

From Pine Grove
Quote:

mystillwater wrote:
haha... whoops.. i'm not from long island... just mixed up.

i'll look you up next year for some of that info. i'd love to try again. it was a bummer going all the way up there and getting skunked. i guess thats always the risk you run, but i definitely didn't know much about the area a knew my chances were slim of just blindly figuring things out. one thing that took me by surprise was the whole snagging thing. i went in with an unrealistic expectation that all these people were catching fish on the fly. i obviously didn't do my homework. i didn't see a single fish hooked in the mouth out of maybe two dozen i saw caught. i'm not judging anyone... just not what i was expecting and not what i was into. i just got alot of casting practice and not a nibble.

a couple hours before we headed home i was chatting with an old-timer at the campground who told me he's been catching them on the fly for 25 years and gave me some pointers i wished i'd have had at the begining of the trip.

there's always next year!

It's a slow curve, but once you get the hang of it you definitely can find biters. Once you get up in the Stoney's area it's hard to find them, though.

Boyer

Posted on: 2009/10/30 7:45

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com