Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Quittie Nature Park, Annville, PA 21.Nov.09

From Mount Joy, PA
Had a few hours to kill this afternoon, so I decided to break habit and go somewhere different. I had heard good things about the Quittie, so I decided to give it a shot. The park is easy to get to as it sits right in the town of Annville (Lebanon County). Perhaps this is to its detriment as I came to find out.

Air temps were in the mid-50's and the sun was shining brightly. I saw some midge activity in the air, but that's about it. I checked the stream temp and it was right about 50. Stream clarity wasn't bad and with my polarized glasses, I could easily see all areas of the stream. Flow seemed to be good although I'm not sure what "normal" flow is.

I parked in the large parking area when you first come into the park. From there, I worked upstream. I fished past the concrete bridge and into the ATW. I didn't see ONE fish. I had NO strikes. To say that fishing was abysmal would be an understatement. I'm no "fish whisperer" like Sal, but I had a white bugger on and certainly should have been able to drum something up. But nothing. Like I said, I didn't even see any fish and I fished a lot of water that looked like it would hold fish.

I turned around and walked back through the park and headed downstream almost to the Rt. 934 bridge. Again, nothing. What I did see all along the creek was a lot of trash. You name it, it was there. Perhaps this is because the creek flows through Lebanon, I don't know, but there was trash than you could shake a stick at.

This is a neat little creek in a neat little setting. It's very wadeable, yet has some deep holes as well. It's too bad that there just weren't any fish! With some improvements (and I some have been done), this could be a great little stream. I think the proximity to population centers really hurts it though. Access is very easy from a number of different roads and I'm going to guess that it gets poached heavily. It is however a DHALO stream, so it is quite possible that the freezers are stocked!

It was not a wasted day because the sun was shining brightly and I was fishing. I will however cross this off the list until I hear something more favorable about it....

Resized Image
Stream shot

Resized Image
Spring entering stream

Resized Image
Another spring source

Resized Image
Area with some improvements (deflectors, bank erosion control, etc.)

Resized Image
Just a small sampling of the streamside trash

Posted on: 2009/11/21 15:53

Re: Quittie Nature Park, Annville, PA 21.Nov.09

From lancaster county
Yes what is up with this stream?

You are not the first Jeff to see lack of fish. I want to know if they stocked it. I dont think they have and we got ripped off. At least 3 anglers i fish with have said the same thing....including me.

Any thoughts from anyone else?

Posted on: 2009/11/21 15:58

Never have been to this stream but my causal observation based on just those few pictures- not much obvious holding water. Looks like a trout can spot an apporach easily.

Reminds me of parts of the Loyalhanna.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 8:58

From lancaster county
Here are more pics of the quitte.

No i promise yes the fish can spot you but you can see them also. Where are they. I swear there isnt anything in that stream.

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t7 ... tinalis/quttie%20lebanon/

But it does make some tremendous pools.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 10:58

From Mount Joy, PA
Kid,

You're right for the most part. There is a lot of open, flat water. It did have good depth to it when I was there yesterday though. There were also some nice pools that should have at least had some kind of fish (chubs, suckers, etc.). I saw a few small fish heading down a run, but they definitely weren't trout. I would have to guess that there is enough structure there for fish to find safety from predation...

Posted on: 2009/11/22 11:30

Good to know.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 12:03

From It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
I can guarantee there are trout in there... a good fisherman will be able to catch fish even in frog water...

Posted on: 2009/11/22 13:25

From Mount Joy, PA
Good point Spyder... I guess I'll just go back to baking cookies!

Posted on: 2009/11/22 16:37

From Hershey
My brother and I fished it a couple weeks ago. Didn't seem to be many dowstream from there (he caught what looked like the same blood red rainbow I caught in late Sept). We did see a fair number of fish above the bridge in the slow water. We stood behind trees and cast to them. They showed minimal interest in our flies. The head of that pool looks nice and I fished it hard with no luck.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 17:01

Walk up the river to the cedar trees, follow the sun and catch a nice cool breeze

From southcentral pa.
fished from the spruce st. bridge downstream to the old bachman rd. bridge last tuesday. caught 3 nice rainbows and missed about the same. they did stock in october but i have no idea on the numbers.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 17:30

well wgmiller you could go back to baking cookies... or... you could try to improve your skills so your an overall better angler... or even better, you could go back to baking cookies and also become a better fishermen... that way you get the best of both worlds...

Posted on: 2009/11/22 18:00

From Mount Joy, PA
Do you think a cookie fly would work???

Posted on: 2009/11/22 18:08

haha... on stockers they just might, as long as you present them the right way...

Posted on: 2009/11/22 18:14

From lebanon, pa
the creek is very hard to fish.
it sees alot of pressure, and your ducks need to be in a straight row in order to score.
the problem with the trash, is it does run right through lebanon city.....from one end to other.
the storm sewers dump right into it, with the two storms that rolled through the other day....let's just say it was freshly stocked.
pink glow bugs work better than they should, cress bugs being a close second.
streamers do not work at all...ever...not in that section. need to get out past the quarry first.
opening day it will be shoulder to shoulder from the 422 bridge, to down past the public works.
there are fish in the creek, but it requires you get away from the people.

that is all.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 18:49

From Manheim, PA
I have never been skunked on the Quittie and usually do very well there until my last trip last week. Caught one and didn't see any others. I don't think they stocked it like they say they did. Usually it gets a fall stocking of 500 and you can see them everywhere after they do.

Tell me Spyder is back on with a different name....again, up to the same old useless posting crap........again?

Posted on: 2009/11/22 21:01

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com