Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Pine Creek DHALO Tioga County 7/6/08

From lancaster county
To say it simpily......I wasent impressed at all. The stream in the DHALO looks very slow and wide. Im not a fan of big water and especially big slow water. We did catch a bunch a smallmouth bass. I had on that might have been 16 inches. Pine was starting to feel warm. We fish for abour 1 hour and left for Kettle Creek. I dont see myself coming back to this DHALO area. Just plain ugly.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 10:39

Re: Pine Creek DHALO Tioga County 7/6/08

From Greensburg, PA
You should fish it in the dark with Jack and Jay...

Posted on: 2008/7/8 22:19

From lancaster county
LOL why is that?

Posted on: 2008/7/8 22:21

From Greensburg, PA
Aside from it always being fun feeling your way back to shore in pitch black....the water absolutely boiled, right at dusk and beyond that night at the last jam...they were rising all around us...couple feet away. Caught my first one right behind Jack. Before that I thought the spot was devoid of trout. But we waited and it was worth it.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 22:07

From Pine Grove
I think that might have been me, Tom. We hammered them until around 10PM in the pouring rain on Sunday night if I remember correctly. I had one gulping just below me that stayed just out of casting range and sounded like a toilet flushing when he would take. I got the tough skunk with Bruno and Ryanh on Kettle the day before. The Pine fish were much dumber or I was more sober. Tough to say.

Boyer

Posted on: 2008/7/9 22:37

From Dallastown, PA
We were at the Owassee area. A deep narrow channel of the Big Pine. Where Jay and I were we had to stay on the rocks out of the water, it was too deep. Nothing happened til 8:30pm. I think we were waiting for the GD spinners, if I remember correctly. I caught most of my fish on a #14 adams parachute. Mostly rainbows.

You could have thought there were no fish there if you didn't wait til dark. Except for the 25" golden trout that held in a steady current. It was very enticing but not interested in anything you threw at him.

Sal, Pine Creek in July is not a trout affair. Go in Late May when the GDs are on and the water is cooler and you may like the stocked trout entertainment a little more.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 23:46

From Bozeman
Yep, I was with Mo, fishing with some old locals. Colorful people, even more colorful views and language, to say the least... well, they'd probably get mad if I called them "colorful", based on what they were talkin' about.

His analysis of the fishin' was right on.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 0:33

From Pine Grove
Jay, did you leave on Sunday or Monday? I'm thinking I lost a day. I got into camp on a Friday night and ran into you while setting up my tent. I fished with Ryan and Bruno on Saturday, then with the whole gang at Owassee in the evening. Sunday I was pretty sure you and I went to Slate, then you went home and kicked the young lady to the curb(or got kicked, I forget). Sunday night I believe is the night Tom was talking about. Regardless I felt the same way as he did about the creek. I was nymphing and fishing buggers for at least 3 hours grumbling to myself about how lameass that stretch of water was with a chub and 2 rock bass the whole time. Then came the rain. Great...... lame stretch and rain. I musta' done somethin' good in a past life..........Then someone flipped the switch. I felt like it was one of those times they write books about. Bugs everywhere and fish to match. If I remember correctly, which I seldom do, I got 5 and missed about 10, with half of the "misses" coming like a foot away from me. I was seriously short on flies by this point and was using some of the oldest dullest hooks I own. I'm pretty sure I was using a size 10 or 12 yellow comparadun, as they were smashing the biggest sulphurs I have ever seen and it was the only thing yellow that I had at the time. It only lasted about an hour, or should I say I only lasted an hour. It was quite raining and I had both my camera and video camera with me so I headed back to the truck before the cases soaked through, but the fish were still on when I left. I think they were tapering off a bit, and it was too dark to tie on any more flies, but I still wish I had stayed a little longer and at least got a solid strike from old toilet mouth.

Boyer

Posted on: 2008/7/10 6:33

From lancaster county
Maurice,

Yeah I know that Pine isnt a trout stream this late in the summer. We were exploring new water instead of fishing the same old places. I wasent impressed by Pine because of its lack of trout but rather the ugly nature of the DHALO area. Not alot of structure and long long flat and extra flat water. We did fish one nice riffle section way downstream into the DHALO area. Either way I thought it was an ugly section of stream to put a DHALO area on.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 8:51

From Bozeman
Boyer,

I left on Sunday. We did the slate trip then, I think. Then again, my memory is not to be trusted when it comes to the Jam.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 9:37

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

MattBoyer wrote:
I think that might have been me, Tom. We hammered them until around 10PM in the pouring rain on Sunday night if I remember correctly. I had one gulping just below me that stayed just out of casting range and sounded like a toilet flushing when he would take. I got the tough skunk with Bruno and Ryanh on Kettle the day before. The Pine fish were much dumber or I was more sober. Tough to say.

Boyer

Hey Boyer, I left sunday...I fished it with Ryan and Bruno and others on Fri night with not a ton of success but Jack and Jay and others saw a tremendous spinnerfall on Saturday night. I remember watching Jacks headlamp has he bushwhacked his way to the car in the dark...

Posted on: 2008/7/10 9:37

From Bozeman
Since we are all re-hashing and jogging memories:

I got in Friday night. I arrived at 7:30, in what is becoming a jam tradition of mine... pulling one foot into the waders before I even park the car, because the hatch is starting, and I'm two hours late.

I fished right at the campsite, and caught three heavy fish on coffins and slate drakes. The spinner fall was SICK. Talked to Boyer on the way back, ended up getting drunk, tearing my tent, and accidentally setting my car alarm off at 3am. Next day, I fished the canyon on bikes with Mo and a few others, and that's when we got em at Owassee. Drink, tie flies that night. Day 3 was the day I fished with boyer at the manor, then I drove home in a driving rain storm. The girl made me pork chops then kicked me to the curb the next day.

That's a Jam!

Posted on: 2008/7/10 9:48

From Pine Grove
OK, now I'm lost, Tom. Which day was it I rode to the stream with you? I had Bruno in my car Saturday night because I remember stopping at "the burning barrel" and catching an acoustic act on the way home, and I was pretty sure I rode to the creek with you Sunday night. Friday I got there around dark so I didn't fish. That would only leave Sunday, and I thought it was you, me, Jack, Brandon, Gino and Santino that went down the WRT while Mo, Hank and Christian hit ****** Run. I think I might have pictures, and I have a short video of you casting in the foreground as Mo caught a trout way upstream at Owassee on Saturday night. I remember because Hank and I sat and watched you fish for a few minutes and I believe we were talking some kind of smack on you. Jay was across the creek from us and the spinners were all at the tops of the trees and not really coming down. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I thought I remembered.

Boyer

Posted on: 2008/7/10 10:46

From Greensburg, PA
Ok then I have the days wrong...must have been the wine...It was Boyer who rode with me and fished just downstream from Jack and I ..I thought it was jay and I thought it was Saturday...Se how much fun the Jams are...

Hank, ryan, bruno you and I fished one night together and caught one or two each...half of us on each side of the creek...maurice and his buddy were a couple hundred yards up stream..

the second night Someone rode with me and fished downstream a little and I walked up and fished with Jack and Gino...Brandon and Santino went just upstream from that...that second night, the spinners were at the trees tops until right at dark when the stream went nuts...I caught a bunch but not as many as I should have...there were so many rises I couldn't tell if I was missing them or they were just rising near my fly or I was getting splashy refusals...I know that when I needed to change tippet it was too dark to even try so I walked out and watched Jack and his merry band of lighted fishermen crashing thru the brush to the car.

So I guess it was sunday and not saturday and it was you and not Jay who was getting so frustrated just downstream of jack and gino and I...Post the pics don't think I saw those...hell, who knows...maybe I did...at this point I'm becoming unsure of many of my memories...thanks for putting it all in order for me...

Posted on: 2008/7/10 11:17

From lancaster county

Posted on: 2008/7/10 16:25

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com