Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Penns Creek, Centre County, April 17,18,19,20

From Leola, PA
Camped at Poe Paddy campground Wednesday through Sunday AM. Had a great time as per our usual annual tradition. Very heavy rains came through Friday evening at 5PM and shut Penns Creek down. Flow was muddy and running 1,500 cfs making things unfishable Friday night and Saturday. On Saturday we fished Spring Creek for a while (also muddy) and then messed around on Poe.

Wednesday through Friday noon provided excellent fishing in the catch and release only section. Flow was 800 cfs on Wednesday falling to about 650 by Friday afternoon; that is all wadable on Penns if you have good balance and a strong staff. The clarity was good but not too clear which often works to the anglers advantage. We experienced a nice Hendrickson hatches as well as Grannom hatches and egg layers. I was able to fish dry flies 70% of the time and only spent moderate periods of times with no fish at all rising. At peak hatch times the rises were excellent and in the slower times there was usually a rising fish somewhere to be found. Had double digit catch days every day. The quality brown trout has improved in this stretch in the last two years. I caught no brown trout below 12 inches. 90% were 14 inches and above and a few were 18 inches. I achieved a Trifecta one day catching a Brookie, Browns, of course, and a surprising Rainbow. Water temperature measured 53 degrees on Friday late morning. I also observed some Blue Quill hatching although it was not clear that any fish were rising to them. No good spinner falls were experienced in the evenings this trip.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 19:57

Re: Penns Creek, Centre County, April 17,18,19,20
From Monessen, PA
Good report. Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 20:28

Re: Penns Creek, Centre County, April 17,18,19,20

From Central, PA
I fished friday evening in Couburn to Ingelby and did well even after the rain wasn't muddy was just off color until dark where I was.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 12:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com