Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Neshannock Creek, Lawrence County, 4/28/13

From Ohio
My brother and I started off at Cool Spring Creek(not the DHALO) and caught a couple fish on small streamers. Just decided to include it hear with the Neshannock report, not all that exciting/detailed for adding a separate post.

After Cool Spring we hit a spot on Neshannock in between Mercer and Volant. The "bridge hole" had about 5 people fishing it so I decided to hit a run downstream of them a bit. I caught 2 smaller browns, but they were constantly picking up fish under the bridge so I guess that's where most of the fish were. I think they were catching them on minnows, and I caught mine on streamers, so it was obvious the fish were active and willing to chase baitfish immitations. Throughout the day stripping streamers seemed to be pretty productive for me.

After that spot we decided to head to the DHALO section, fished by the shop down to the lazy hole and then around the covered bridge. We both easily caught a handful of fish there on streamers and one or 2 on caddis nymphs.

The last spot we hit was down closer to New Castle. We picked up a few more fish here on streamers.

Stream was in great shape and the weather was great for fishing(50s, cloudy, light rain), but not so good for dry fly fishing. I think I saw 4 rises throughout the day, but nothing consistant. I tried a dry for maybe 10 minutes and then just said screw it and stuck to subsurface flies. I saw a march brown or two, a caddis or two(looked to be leftover grannoms but not 100% sure), and something small. Not enough to get the fish going though. Overall we had a pretty good time fishing for stockies

btw, in case anyone is wondering, I asked Bob at the shop about the brookies in Cool Spring and he said lots of other people have been wondering too but he thinks they just got mixed in this year. He even said he's seen a few pics of some caught in Neshannock this year.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/4/28 19:34

Re: Neshannock Creek, Lawrence County, 4/28/13

From Ohio
Nice report, looks like you had fun.

Posted on: 2013/4/28 19:41

From Ohio
Thanks! yeah we had fun fishing it as always, and crowds weren't bad. Could have been a lot worse.

ps...I got your pm earlier, reply on the way tonight or tomorrow....

Posted on: 2013/4/28 19:46

From Lancaster, PA
thats a nice brown you got there in the first pic

Posted on: 2013/4/30 6:21

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
That is a nice brown. I saw a few pig rainbows being pulled out of the pool behind the shop last week. Nice report. Hopefully the March Browns will start soon and get the fish looking up.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 11:16

From Ohio
The pic doesn't do that fish justice. As soon as I got a glimpse of him I immediately thought 20 incher, and he fought like one, but once I got him in the net I was disappointed at the actual size. Looked bigger in the water. I've caught a couple pretty nice sized holdovers in Neshannock, even bigger than the one in the pic, but this fish was clearly stocked that size. One of my better trout(excluding steelhead) of the year so far so I can't complain! Those bows they stock for the lunker stocking sure are fun too. Strong fish, thick too.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 18:03

From Butler, Pa
Both the one I caught last week just kind of rolled in like dead weight

Posted on: 2013/5/1 2:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com