Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Muddy Creek FFO, York County, 10/10/12

From York, PA
I fly fished Muddy Creek Fly Fishing Only section today from 5pm until 6:30pm. I didn't take a water temp. Beautiful day with Fall like weather and the water was crystal clear.

It was just restocked again today? Nice job Maurice (I'll help you guys next year..... I promise).

I brought 5 browns to hand today, and lost a few hookups. The hatchery did a wonderful job...... the trout are so beautiful and healthy.

I used a 3wt and floating line with woolybuggers and PT nymphs. Too many leaves for top water?

Tight Lines,
1 wt

Photobucket

Lots of leaves floating by, kinda a pain! I won't say how shallow Muddy Creek is (I mentioned it after the big flood, and Maurice sent me death threats for three weeks) LOL
Photobucket

Photobucket

Some underwater pix of the beautiful browns in that clean creek.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I caught a couple chubs. There is a school of 4"ers swimming around. I also saw a mess of small suckers.
Photobucket

A guy showed up at 6:30 as I was leaving. A "TU" sticker on the back of his Highlander. Maybe one of the guys who stocked today?
Photobucket

Posted on: 2012/10/10 22:15

Re: Muddy Creek FFO, York County, 10/10/12
From Dallastown, PA
1 wt.

I had nothing to do with the stocking. I was working.

And to clarify....the browns you caught were not stocked yesterday. The fish stocked yesterday were all rainbows.

The reason they were so clean and colorful is because they were carryovers from the spring.

Good to see there fine day of fishing on the fish that carryed over at the fly area. Especially with the exceptionally warm temps this summer.

Thanks for the report.

Posted on: 2012/10/11 8:28

Do you think that the number of holdovers caught was representative of the FFO area a whole, or did they come from one or a few spots that may have been cooled by a trib through the summer?

Posted on: 2012/10/11 8:51

From York, PA
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Do you think that the number of holdovers caught was representative of the FFO area a whole, or did they come from one or a few spots

Mike,
Yeah, the trout came from the deepest spots that were in the shade. The whole bottom section is still filled with gravel a bit. For example: In the "hemlock" section (I started at the big rock and worked my way downstream), where I finished up near dark, it used to be 4' deep in the main channel......... now it is only 1.5' deep with no place for the fish to hide. I'm not whining! ....... folks told me to only fish the top section, it's not so washed out there?...... when I have more time to fish, I do!

I'm kinda surprised that the herons didn't pick off the trout that I caught! Maybe somebody shot that big dirty bird that lived there!

Maurice,
I thought that the one brown looked pretty yellow to me? Wow! I guess those trout haven't seen a Lead Eye Woolybugger for a while?
If they only stocked rainbows yesterday...... I must have my brown trout techniques tweeked pretty good? LOL ..... unless they are all the same fish? from different angles?

Posted on: 2012/10/11 13:51

The second pic of a brown looks nicely colored with red spots and notably more so than the others. I think it could be wild, but it's too hard to tell from an underwater pic.

Posted on: 2012/10/11 15:05

From York
I am not surprised at all that the trout you caught were not "picked off" by predators. There is some nice cover and depth on the far side where you undoubtedly took those browns.

If you started where I think you did you walked past a lot of fish. Both holdovers and newly stocked bows. But that is a lot of water with some very good holding areas to cover in 1.5 hours and fishing downstream may have been a negative factor with the water being so clear.

Clearly this 1.5 expedition is nowhere near what I would consider"representative of the FFO as a whole".

Posted on: 2012/10/11 18:28

From York, PA
Quote:

fritz wrote:
some very good holding areas to cover in 1.5 hours and fishing downstream may have been a negative factor with the water being so clear.

Fritz,

I met you at Muddy a couple years ago. I was just starting, while you were leaving.

You are correct about the downstream thing. Fritz, I'm sure that you know the FFO section like the back of your hand...... not me, I know the Forks a lot better.

I thought about fishing upstream with dries, but there was way too many leaves coming down the creek.

In a couple days, when the leaves slow down, I think I'll give it a shot at first light fishing upstream with some size 18 BWO's? I'll post some pix on this site.

PS- That is one beautiful creek for fly fishing. Even if shallow now, it is still a beautiful thing. I mean no disrespect to the creek when I mention the gravel fill? I would never hurt the trout or put any trash around the creek! I love Muddy as much as you do!

Posted on: 2012/10/11 20:54

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Will wrote:
The second pic of a brown looks nicely colored with red spots and notably more so than the others. I think it could be wild, but it's too hard to tell from an underwater pic.

The first three are carryovers from the Co-op and the last one is a State stocked fish. None of them are wild trout.

Posted on: 2012/10/11 21:00

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Do you think that the number of holdovers caught was representative of the FFO area a whole, or did they come from one or a few spots that may have been cooled by a trib through the summer?

Yes

Posted on: 2012/10/11 21:03

From York, PA
Quote:

Will wrote:
The second pic of a brown looks nicely colored with red spots and notably more so than the others. I think it could be wild,

Yeah, I think it was wild also.

Maurice thinks that he is the only guy who catches "wild" trout? LOL so he said all the fish I caught were stockers! ....... he also said they only put rainbows in that creek last Wednesday? I don't think that Maurice knows the difference between rainbows and browns?..... but he is still learning?

Posted on: 2012/10/13 2:00

From York County
First, thank you for posting the stream report.

The wild trout in Muddy creek have a particularly different and far more sparse spot pattern than all of those trout. The red spots on the one carry over have been accentuated by the camera's flash.

To answer Mike's question, 1wt fishes almost exclusively in an area which is the slowest shallowest section in the entire ffo stretch. It has always been shallow through that particular stretch with a few pockets of deeper water yet still holds trout throughout the year. I could fish "that stretch" with a pair of hip boots. Other harder to get to sections, I am more cautious even wearing chest waders, as the water is faster with deeper holes and drop offs. Also I find that the trout are pretty much spread out throughout the stretch.

I don't know why buzz lightweight feels the need to constantly fish the shallowest, slowest and easiest to get to stretch of a nice stream and make off handed comments.

Maybe the slower calmer water eases him so he can drift off in his altered mind thinking about moon landings, flashbacks, government conspiracy and other things, (see OT Forum, mmm kay?) in which I cannot relate. But its all good. I know what MC is about, and I rate it above all other large watersheds in York Co. to say the least.

I'll stop there and spare any more details.

Posted on: 2012/10/23 15:55

From York, PA
Quote:

I don't know why buzz lightweight feels the need to constantly fish the shallowest, slowest and easiest to get to stretch of a nice stream
Maybe the slower calmer water eases him so he can drift off in his altered mind thinking about moon landings, flashbacks, government conspiracy and other things, (see OT Forum, mmm kay?)

Come on, Leaky! Why don't you patch your leaky boots and stop picking on me?

"I'm so sorry, Leaky
if I caused you any pain"

"Hands across the water
heads across the sky"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuOj4tBoOZ4

Posted on: 2012/10/24 1:18

Edited by 1wt on 2012/10/24 2:04:40

From York, PA
Jake Leaky Wader,

"Don't come closer, or I'll have to go" and I'll never return!

"a satellite forever orbiting"...... "guaranteed"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LJu5o7MhvA

Society:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_0M9-_qDaA

"Have no fear, Leaky
Who I was before, I cannot recall
I'm fallin' safely to the ground" Long Nights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thYL4kGCcFQ

Posted on: 2012/10/24 2:50

Edited by 1wt on 2012/10/24 3:49:40

Thanks Jake.

Posted on: 2012/10/25 8:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com