Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Muddy Creek, York County, 4/11/2007
From Dallastown, PA
helped to stock the North Branch today and decided to do a little fishin. Went to the Forks and fished downstream, not stocked today. Only a few people, picked up 5 fish, missed a few. Fish caught were puny stocked rainbows and browns. Fished all the way to Rocky glen. Only five fish. Water was crystal clear and dropping. Be good to have the 1" of rain tonight to mix it up a bit. The catching at Muddy has been pretty crappy since the early opener. Got my fish today on buggers.

No bugs seen in the air but the rocks are a bistin with nymphs. May will fish nicely if the fish are still there.

Maurice

Posted on: 2007/4/11 22:21

Re: Muddy Creek, York County, 4/11/2007

From Windsor, PA
Hey Maurice
glad to see you got out for a bit. Hope the rains helps.
Im really puzzled as to why MC doesnt hold some bigger quality fish? Is the summer heat too much for the trout in this creek?

Do you ever fish the gunpowder in MD? I fish it a lot and dont have a lot of luck even though the trout are there. However, I fished a new section a couple of weeks ago that I have never been on and it was fantastic. If you ever head down that way, let me know and Ill meet you there. I cross over it on 83 going home from work every day.

I was gonna hit MC tomorrow if the wind dies down a bit. There has to be a few quality fish in there. The creek looks just to nice to not hold any good fish or holdovers. I dont understand it.

Posted on: 2007/4/12 8:37

From Dallastown, PA
Yeah, I fish the Gunny...usually wait til June when the freestones get warm. Then I hit Codorus, the Gunpowder and Clarks.

Muddy Creek is a transitional freestone. Meaning, it warms in July/August and trout migrate to cool spots, sometimes to tribs and line up, sometimes up the tribs and some to underground spring areas. Conversely, in the winter and early spring, the temps often do not rise above the ambient daytime highs until late May. or a long warm spell. (we have not had one yet...) So the water is c-c-cooold. Trout only maintain in temps like this. Thats why we are not catching alot of wild fish yet this year so far. Keep in mind also that the stocked trout from the state have NEVER felt a 40 degree water temp. They are in shock until the temps get into the 50's.

There are holdovers though. We catch them every year. And we also run into quite a bit of wild fish that come in from the tributaries to the big creek to feed in late spring and fall.

You have to remember that Muddy is not a spring creek or tailwater. It is a large freestone running west to east so the sun is on it from daybreak to sunset. (except on the bends, hint) Do a lot of walking, look for the shadowed or shaded pools, bumpy water and deeper holes. There are plenty of fish in the system. There is also ALOT of dead water. (long, slow pools knee deep).

When I fish new water I like to walk it, look into the holes, walk through a few pockets, see if I can spook a fish or two to see what kind of habitat the attract to in the stream. Then I fish it.

One of the best ways to find where fish hold in a stream is with streamers. Even if you are not hooking them, remember where they were. They will be there in May too.

Muddy Creek is also not a "round boulder" stream. It sports "tabletop sized" & "toombstone sized" flat rocks in the pocket water we call graveyards. A walk along the creek will show you many of these. Usually on the bends. Fish love these areas and hide below the corners of the flat rocks to get out of the sun. (Stream is too wide for the canopy). A walk downstream on the inside track pitching streamers is a good technique. Vary your retrieve. Swing, twitch, strip, etc.

You'll do OK, take the advice and have confidence. If ya get skunked, well, consider it dues...you'll appreciate the investment someday.

Maurice

Posted on: 2007/4/12 11:50

From York
pool-spooker

I also make the trip along 83 over the Gunpowder daily. This is the first year that I have fished it, albeit breifly at this point. I'd also be interested in meeting some day after work. I can't wait until the sulfurs start.

Steve

Posted on: 2007/4/12 15:27

From Windsor, PA
Stevie-B

Be glad to meet up with you there. I usually go when the weather is dicey like yesterday. It rained a bit, nobody was there and I lost a fatty brown. LDR'd him after a 10 second fight. He was a fatty for sure. I saw him turn over on top so I know he was an old brown. I caught 4 and lost one. Most were winter skinny, good jumpers and fun to catch. Fish were very active yesterday. Flashing at the surface with big turns. Saw one small mayfly hatch just before the rain started.
Great afternoon evening. Wish I could have landed the large brown. I thought about it all night. I know where he lives!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rmenefe ... dir=/4311re2&urlhint=actn,del%3as,1%3af,0

Posted on: 2007/4/13 8:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy
I want to catch every fish in the stream
50 dinks is a dream day
Only want to catch big fish
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens
Who cares? It beats work.
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com