Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Muddy Creek, York County, 09/15/2013
From Dallastown, PA
Hit Muddy in the afternoon yesterday hoping for some trout action and to see how the summer treated the stocked trout. I was not disappointed. I began at the Woodbine bridge pool when I saw a fish rise. I didn't catch any there but spotted a half dozen trout scattered throughout the flats sipping midges and sporadically smashing something.

I then moved up to the lower fly area and saw a few at the Bridgeton hole doing the same but didn't fish for them. Made it into the water about 3pm and started above the hemlocks and fished up through Burdens Falls. I picked up half a dozen on a WMD (orange ant) the fish were scattered all through the area I fished and were porpoising mostly to midges or aphids. There was a small whit mayfly #20 coming off too and a #14 white spinner I suppose a cahill in the air as well as a handful of caddis. When I ran into another angler up the crik I turned around and though I.d go back to the hemlocks and thats when I got a call that dinner was ready. Being a half hour from home I decided to just fish some more. Wow, what a great decision. I hammered them all through the hemlocks on the WMD.

I caught about ten carryover browns and a handful of small wild fish. All had nice color and I noticed that most of the carryovers had the beginnings of an eyespot behind the eyes. Something I've contended doesn't happen or rather happen often. I have pics but havn't taken them off the phone yet.

Saw two other anglers and a total of six different cars in the lower lot between coming and going. It should be a good fall on Muddy.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 18:35

Re: Muddy Creek, York County, 09/15/2013

From Banshee
Is that very large tree that fell across the stream still there?

Posted on: 2013/9/16 22:30

From Dallastown, PA
no it was cut up. only the stump hangs out over the bank now.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 23:27

From Lancaster Co.
Burdens Falls? Glad to hear there a re some fish available this fall.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 10:17

From Dallastown, PA
Burden falls is the rocky outcrop that crossws the entire creek downstream of the big rock hole...the habitat between the crog waters...which btw held rising trout. Henry Burden owns the land where the falls are. Not really falls so much as a series of chutes.

There are plenty of fish and it gets another boost by the state in october...rainbows if history is any indicator.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 13:28

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
Mo: Good news, thanks for sharing. Would really like to attend your Pine Run tour on the 28th, but I will be in a little league dugout all day. Are there any browns left over for fall stocking? See you in November.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 13:44

From Mount Joy, PA
Can you embed some pictures so we can share your trip with you???

Posted on: 2013/9/17 13:51

From Dallastown, PA
Geo, dont make me give you the hand...

Posted on: 2013/9/17 16:59

From Media Pa
Maurice when you are talking about "the big rock hole" are you talking about those big boulders on the left side of the creek [if you are looking downstream] where the creek narrows quite a bit?

Posted on: 2013/9/18 9:46

From Lancaster Co.
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Maurice when you are talking about "the big rock hole" are you talking about those big boulders on the left side of the creek [if you are looking downstream] where the creek narrows quite a bit?

I think that is it Fade. The "big rock" is far and away the biggest rock in the FFO stretch. Right up against the bank. Deepest hole in the stretch. Would be on your right side against the old rr track as you walk upstream from the lower end of the FFO. Above the long stretch of frog water and before a set of riffles and big bend in the crick.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 16:23

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

McSneek wrote:
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:

I think that is it Fade. The "big rock" is far and away the biggest rock in the FFO stretch. Right up against the bank. Deepest hole in the stretch. Would be on your right side against the old rr track as you walk upstream from the lower end of the FFO. Above the long stretch of frog water and before a set of riffles and big bend in the crick.

And this is the next landmark prior to the "gradient change".

From the bottom up you have:

-The Wire
-The Island
-The Hemlocks (upper and lower)
-The Outhouse Hole
-Mary Swans Trib (on river right at bottom of landing strip)
-The landing strip (frog water)
-Burden Falls
-Rainbow Rock (on river left) Thats a new one I named.
-more frog water
-Rock garden
-Pickels Rock. (not really a rock so much as a ledge Jan stands on to fish downstream in workboots.)
-Graveyard
-The Big Rock Hole
-The ledge (sticks out from the tracks side halfway across the creek)
-The Big Bend
-The Gradient change
-The Beaver Rock
-The Oyster Rocks (3)
-The Seep Hole
-The Oval Pool
-Toms Run
-The Indian hole
-Landing Strip #2 (newly formed)
-Keebler Elf hole
-Rock Gardens (steps)
-Upper Wire hole

So if you have trouble catching fish at Muddy try fishing one of these spots, this is where they hold year round. Wait is this spot burning?

Posted on: 2013/9/18 18:20

From Chadds Ford, PA
Big time spot burning, but thanks. Could you post a map? Seriously, I really like that stream and it can't be spot burned. May head out there Friday or Saturday. Hope the trout like black ants. Maurice, did you fish them on top or wet?

Posted on: 2013/9/18 20:16

From Dallastown, PA
I fished them on top but sometimes they were sinking by default.

The water is low and the fish are weary. So its a sight and stalk game. Pushing a wake shut things down for me more than once.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 22:18

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
From the bottom up you have:

-The Wire
-The Island
-The Hemlocks (upper and lower)
-The Outhouse Hole
-Mary Swans Trib (on river right at bottom of landing strip)
-The landing strip (frog water)
-Burden Falls
-Rainbow Rock (on river left) Thats a new one I named.
-more frog water
-Rock garden
-Pickels Rock. (not really a rock so much as a ledge Jan stands on to fish downstream in workboots.)
-Graveyard
-The Big Rock Hole
-The ledge (sticks out from the tracks side halfway across the creek)
-The Big Bend
-The Gradient change
-The Beaver Rock
-The Oyster Rocks (3)
-The Seep Hole
-The Oval Pool
-Toms Run
-The Indian hole
-Landing Strip #2 (newly formed)
-Keebler Elf hole
-Rock Gardens (steps)
-Upper Wire hole

So if you have trouble catching fish at Muddy try fishing one of these spots, this is where they hold year round. Wait is this spot burning?

Holy crap!!! There are more holes and pools than the Salmon River, NY!!!

Posted on: 2013/9/19 11:37

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
I wonder where the "Odd Ball" hole is?

Posted on: 2013/9/19 12:47

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com