Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Mud Run, Carbon County,4/6/2012

From Lehigh Valley
I was in the area a couple of weeks ago; on the D&L trail across from Mud Run there's a story about a mine disaster there. But, looking it up online, it seems to have been a train wreck involving miners, so not polution related directly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_Run_Disaster

Mud Run is not on the list of Lehigh River tributaries affected by abandoned mine drainage (AMD) but still, it may be affected. The AMD tributaries in that area area are Sandy Run, Buck Mountain, Black Creek and Nesquehoning Creek.
The PDF of the Wildlands Conservancy Study of the Lehigh River (which is used by PFBC in the watershed management plan) is not searchable, so could not easily find references.

Study page (scroll down to point 15):
http://wildlandspa.org/Rivers/index6.html

Direct link to Aquatic Components:
http://wildlandspa.org/Rivers/pdf/Report/Report3.pdf

Posted on: 2012/4/10 14:40

From Lehigh Valley
VDragan, cool post about the train wreck,my great great grandfather was a conductor on the D&L although probably not at the time of the crash.
I know that the stream that runs down at the rockport access is Amd look at the stream an the water that dumps in to the Lehigh there...no mistaking that what a shame.
I don't think thats the problem of Mud Run, i have fished it at Hawk falls an have caught natives {Brookies} there as well as browns.
i have also like others fished it wondered if the fish had all disappeared, fishing is like that sometimes .
Sometimes you get the bear an other times the bear gets you. I will say like i mentioned earlier that several of these streams don't fish like they did when i first started fishing them back in the late 80's.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Posted on: 2012/4/10 15:01

I havent fished Mud recently, but in the past never had a problem catching trout and mostly wild trout. Its always been one of the more productive streams.

There was discussion about Hayes Cr and Hickory Run trout populations in a post some time ago. We (LCFA) spoke with the area fisheries biologist (Daryl Pierce) about the most recent shocking data (within the past year or two) and he said both streams had healthy populations of trout with a variety of age classes.

We have yet to recieve the report to compare the historical numbers, but we hope to get it when the PFBC finishes it up.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 16:51

From Lehigh Valley
Lehigh they are still a shadow of what they were when i started fishing them , never said there wasnt any trout just that there is a lot less than there used to be.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 16:54

From Leola, PA
Fished Mud Run last August below Hawk Falls a good bit. It was a long and steep hike down to the strream and just kept thinking about meeting a bear as I hiked through a thick Rhododendrins on a one person wide path! It was a beautiful location when I got into the stream and I was shocked to not catch or see any trout in several nice deep runs. I finally caught one small wild brookie in pocket water up above the deep runs. The scenery was more than worthwhile, but it was quite amazing that a place with seemingly very little fishing pressure and amazing holding water appears to be virtually devoid of trout and bugs.

I also fished Hickory Run that weekend with slightly better success; found a few hungry brookies.

We camp at Hickory Run every year, so I will definately fish Hickory Run again. I have not yet decided whether or not to venture back into Mud Run again this year and test my luck with da bears.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 20:42

From Lehigh Valley
if you could get further down on the Greystone water youd be into yer eyeballs with fish.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 21:03

For the heck of it, I pushed a long way up fourth run yesterday. Even in the middle of our current heat wave, water temperatures were excellent, about 56 at 9 am. The pH also seemed to be okay, about 7 on fourth run at the confluence with black creek, and about 6.8 three quarters of a mile upstream on fourth. The holes, structure, and water level seem to be fine. I did catch a few small wild brown trout, but the fish population didn't seem to be good for such a remote stream section. I doubt the issue is either fishing pressure or development. Great hike in a remote area. But some other streams in the area seem to have a lot more brown trout than fourth run, even a mile up from hayes/black. Several reports note that fishing was better on fourth and hayes/black below 80 about 15 to 20 years ago, for ex., lonewolve and the wolfe book. ??

Posted on: 2012/7/4 8:48

Edited by k-bob on 2012/7/4 9:04:45
Edited by k-bob on 2012/7/4 9:06:45
Edited by k-bob on 2012/7/4 9:12:25
Edited by k-bob on 2012/7/4 9:13:37
Edited by k-bob on 2012/7/4 9:15:20
Edited by k-bob on 2012/7/4 9:30:24

From Lehigh Valley
K-bob,
great post, i stand by my word that hayes used to fish far better an there were more brookies than browns.water temps still the same, good clean mountain water, except i think there was trouble years ago with some sewage gettin in but i fished that stream many times after that an it still very good numbers.its been about 7 years since i fished there because the last time i was there the fishing had dropped like a rock ,i went back a fewweeeks later after that during a cooler period same things and also didnt learn so i went a week later{early September} an this was during a low pressure drizzly misty day for 8 hrs an worked hard i caught four fish three brooks one brown,water temps were excellent,lifted rocks an there were good number of nymphs although small for that time of year.

It isnt what it was and thats a shame because it sure as hell aint caused by overdevelopment. I sometimes suspect that rt 80 runoff has compromised it, especially the salt in the winter.Can't be certain. I am no chemist.
Pm me when you plan on going next time, mybe we can meet up an check it out.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Posted on: 2012/7/4 14:08

From SE PA - Montgomery County
I agree with everyone else here that Hickory, Mud and Hayes are not that good anymore. The last time I fished Hickory from the park office down to the Lehigh River last year and did not even see a fish. I also turned over many rocks along the way and they were all devoid of any insect life. It is a shame. There are good brookie stream very nearby, so I do not know what has happened to these particular streams . . .

Posted on: 2012/7/5 12:50

From Lehigh Valley
I was only there once, and it was more a scouting mission in the early season, so I didn't expect much...

Kinda sucks if you're set on trout fishing this area, the river is too hot this time of year and stream like these aren't doing well...

Posted on: 2012/7/6 12:00

From Lehigh Valley
Hickory run is a joke IMHO, last year there was sewage in the creek from the state park treatment plant an i mean it looked like muddy water...was really sad.Considering the state park is supposed to be ecologically minded. They should just go back to the outhouses and have a big septic tank sytem.The park system barely has funds to maintain the park let alone manage a treatment plant

Posted on: 2012/7/6 12:07

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I do know this year WPTU will be working with the fish commission on these streams (electroshocking) to try to begin to identify the problem.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 0:18

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Albrightsville, PA
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
I do know this year WPTU will be working with the fish commission on these streams (electroshocking) to try to begin to identify the problem.

I'll also add that we are going to host a CCC training session in October on the 13th and anyone is welcome to attend. Will follow with details when everything comes together. This training will provide us with the particulars and tools for gathering baseline data on water quality.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 10:05

Fished Hayes and Hickory on the 21st and 22nd of July. Lucked out with 70 degree weather. Water temp was 59 on Hayes. Temp on Hickory 58. Both streams produced dbl digits. Hayes was all browns. Hickory all brookies. Covered about 1.25 on Hayes and 1 mile on Hickory. I visit this area several times a year for the past several years and both streams have been very good to me. As for Mud run I have only ever caught one fish there just above where Hawk Falls flows into mud which was 3 years ago - a 3 inch brownie and since then gave up fishing it. I have seen several small fish rising in the deep pool on the bend just above hawk falls as well, but never had much luck there.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 16:28

From Eagle, PA
I was hunting for a discussion on this subject tonite, and I found this one. I have fished Mud Run since 1971 and Hayes and Hickory from around 1980 to the early '90s. I can attest to how good they were during those years. This year I went into Hayes and Hickory for the first time since the '90s and I saw no sign of trout in either. I didn't see much insect life either. They all used to be great for both wild brooks and browns.

I continued to fish Mud Run thru 2004, when hurricane Ivan seemed to have a devastating effect on it. In my favorite spot at the time (down the mountain trail from the old Organized Group camping area) Ivan had churned-up some very big rocks from the bottom and put them in a pile that blocked the main stem of Mud and rechanneled it to flow thru what had been a very small side stem. It was a wonder to see what nature could do, but it sure ruined the fishing. I started fishing Mud Run again about three years ago and it seemed to be coming back. But after the big storm last year it appeared to be fishless again.

Has anyone discussed how these major storms might have affected Hickory and Hayes? When I used to fish Hickory it was always down below the Park office down toward the river. At the time I believed Hickory held bigger wild fish than Mud Run. I mostly fished Hayes up above Fourth Run and it had plenty of both wild Brook and Brown. This year I was into all those old spots.

This week I'm going to try Mud Run above Hawk Falls and Hickory Run upstream around Saylorsville.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 0:20

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com