Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Moosehead Lake Region, Maine 5/26/2013-6/1/2013

My wife and I had an opportunity to stay in a different part of Maine than we normally do.  Due to unexpected events last fall, my wife and baby (golden retriever) were able to join me for a quick fishing trip with Kevin Mckay and Mark Drummond. They both enjoyed the cabin and area so much, we all went up there again last week.  What made this trip special besides spending time with my girls, was this would be the first time I fished this area all by myself.  Having learned from the best (Kevin McKay), I was ready to attempt to catch LL Salmon and Brook trout in the Moosehead Lake Area.

For those not from Maine, there was lots of rains right before and when got there (ending the next day).  That lead to very high waters.  However, that wasn't going to get me down and discouraged. I managed to get fish everyday and to get fish on dries, nymphs and streamers.  

Wilsons Camps

We stayed at Wilson's Camps.  I can't say enough good things about the cabins and the staff/family.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Nature Photos

Resized Image

Lots of moose around this area. Even though I usually see them when we head up there, I'm still amazed at these wonderful creatures.

Resized Image

Resized Image

During our morning walk, we unexpectedly ran into this guy very close up.  We took a quick picture before he got very mad and slapped his tail and dove under.

Resized Image

This one was further away as you can tell from the digital zoom.

Resized Image

My baby loved to find these walking around.

Resized Image

Found this guy crawling around.

Resized Image

East Outlet

At one point they had 6 of them opened up.  See pictures from a couple weeks back.  Big difference in the flow. You could have walked across the river a few weeks back.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

West Outlet

I only spent about 15 minutes here, but did take some photos.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Roach River

I tried Roach River for a little bit.  I thought it was too high and fast but I've only been there a few times.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Moose River

Managed to get a nice brook trout on a dry fly on Moose River.  If my memory isn't going, it's the first place I ever caught a LL Salmon.

Resized Image

Fish Photos

A few pictures of some of the fish that I managed to catch.  My wife and baby did get to see me in action and luckily I caught one while they were there (shocking, I know).

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

My last fish of the trip :(

Resized Image

I miss it already :(

Posted on: 2013/6/16 20:27

Re: Moosehead Lake Region, Maine 5/26/2013-6/1/2013

Purdy nice, you see any whitetail deer? The deer herd in Maine is lower in Maine recently, and was just wondering what you saw. Nice dog. Lotsa moose you say, no wolves around, at least not greys, think the few that cross the border there are eastern wolves.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 3:16

From Da 'Berg, PA
Great report, thanks for sharing.

the last salmon there is a real nice salmon. a shame about the high water.

i've always wanted to fish the Roach and East Outlet this time of year and catch salmon and brookies on the top on big Stimmies.

I won't make it up this year, unless i can squeeze a mid september trip in.

thats some drive from PA btw - 10/11 hours ?

Posted on: 2013/6/18 15:11

Quote:

BeastBrown wrote:
Purdy nice, you see any whitetail deer? The deer herd in Maine is lower in Maine recently, and was just wondering what you saw. Nice dog. Lotsa moose you say, no wolves around, at least not greys, think the few that cross the border there are eastern wolves.

I saw about 5 deer during the trip. The ones I usually see are huge. No wolves. Didn't see any bears. One of the recent trips
one walked about 30 feet pass where i was standing.

Posted on: 2013/6/18 22:36

Quote:

geebee wrote:
Great report, thanks for sharing.

the last salmon there is a real nice salmon. a shame about the high water.

i've always wanted to fish the Roach and East Outlet this time of year and catch salmon and brookies on the top on big Stimmies.

I won't make it up this year, unless i can squeeze a mid september trip in.

thats some drive from PA btw - 10/11 hours ?

Thanks. Yes, the drive is about 10-11 hours. We usually stop overnight or two days at Portsmouth, NH. I then do some fly fishing for Stripers off the coast of southern Maine. Usually make the Maine trip twice a year.

Posted on: 2013/6/18 22:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com