Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Miners & Rock Run Lycoming County 7/5/08

From lancaster county
It is hard to find the words to describe what I saw @ Rock Run, but im going to try.

Breathtaking, amazing, wonderful, and mystical all come to mind. I have heard from many sources that you will be hard pressed to find a more beautiful stream in PA, I have to agree.

We parked at Miners Run and decided to head upstream to see what trout could be in the icy cold waters. If you havent been up miners run you have to go! Waterfall after waterfall cascades down this very narrow and steep gorge. It was breathtaking. The habitat is so very good and the water was the coldest I felt in awhile. Where are the fish? The PA Fish Comm say from the headwaters down to the Mouth. We didnt even spook any fish.

Regaurdless it was great just to see that scenery.

Next we went down to Rock Run where Miners Run enters it and my Jaw dropped. It is just basically a stream that wore out on gigantic solid slate rock throught its entire length. It is very clear and even with the low water has some tremdous holes and deep deep water. We fished downstream to the waterfall. Amazing! Becareful if you go because the trail narrows right at the water fall and it would be easy to slip and fall of the hill into it. I swear the water depth at the fall had to be 30 feet deep. I had a bugger on and 2 split shots and it took 18 seconds to hit the bottom.

As far as fish...this stream is still polluted with trout from previous stockings. I have a feeling with low water and the cystal clear conditions they are very very hard to catch. We saw about 60 trout this day and only landed 2 stocker brookies. Few fish were rising.

We drove up to the big waterfall and saw tons of people enjoying the deep and cold water. It was funny watching kids use the water shut has a slide on an intertube. A DCNR fellow came down and we chatted with him. He told us that if we go up Rock Run road to where it crosses Rock Run and fish upstream has the best and fairly excellent fishing. Possibily a place to go next time. We were just so enamored by this area as a whole we wasted alot of time. We are even considering camping there for first day next year. I saw on a previous thread people were talking about if you could still camp there. Tons and tons of people were. SO id say yes you can. What a stream and what an area. If you never been you better go! Pics to come soon but here are a few professional ones of the area.

rock Run fall

rock run

miners run

miners Run 2

Posted on: 2008/7/8 10:30

Re: Miners & Rock Run Lycoming County 7/5/08

From Lewistown
sal,

Glad to hear you had a good time.
Miner's would probably have fish, but with the low population of wild brookies in rock run never replenish the ones lost in miner's. Plus thos huge waterfalls make it hard for fish to swim up to spawn. I have also never seen fish in there.

Above where the road crosses is okay, but you have to go about a mile to get into decent fish population, but nothing spectacular.

Camping can be done, but only at approved campsites (some have been eliminated) and you have to have a permit. I couldn't imagine fishing there on the first day. There are probably more people there for the ammount of water that flows through the gorge than anywhere else in the state. However, rock run recieves about 6 stockings per year, so there is a constant fish population for a majority of the year.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 11:25

From lancaster county
A side note we did stop by pleasent stream but the water looked a bit to low to fish it enjoyably.

MKern,

I also read that the population of fish in Rock is low. I wonder why. Lots of great habitat and the water depth and temperture was very cool for this time of year. Acid Rain effects maybe or the constant stockings? Very odd....it looked like it had everything a trout stream should have. As far as Miners I can see where the numerous 20-30 ft waterfalls would effect spawning fish. I wonder if farther up has any fish? Either way the area was beautiful and made an otherwise troutless day very very fun.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 11:42

From Lewistown
Miner's may have trout in it's upper reaches, but probably nothing to write home about.

Pleasant Stream is similar to Rock Run in the fact that they over stock it and it recieves a ton of pressure from those hook and cook fishermen who like to be in the wilderness when they bag their limit. I'm sure the population of meninite people who live along the stream and use nets doesn't help either. Pleasant is class a at the upper reaches, but still isn't that good in my oppinion.

I think, in addition to what you mentioned, another reason Rock Run doesn't have a high wild trout population is the lack od insects and baitfish. But I think the biggest reason is probably the 10,000 fish that get put in there every year and the 10,000 people who fish it. I know I've mentioned it before, but I was once hiking along the stream (mistakenly right after they stocked) and a guy caught a 6" native, then looked at me and said, "why in the world would they stock this goofy-looking little fish," then chucked it on the bank. I proceded to tell him that it was a native brook trout and then he said to me,after a long pause, "No they only stock this stream." He looked so puzzled my the word "native" --- he had no idea what was going on.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 13:05

From lancaster county
I think i just threw up in my mouth a little reading that. *shakes my shame finger at that guy*
Well thanks for your insight and replies Mkern

Posted on: 2008/7/8 13:50

I've been up thru Rock Run pretty far, and I agree that it is perhaps the most beautiful stream in the state. I also agree with MKern, that it is sterile. I just don't think there is much if any food in it.

From what I hear the state has drastically cut back on the number of camp sites along the stream, which is a result of enforcing the primitive nature of the McIntyre Wilderness Area. I think the only place to camp now - - legally - - is up near where Yellow Dog Road is?? In fact I had some friends up there this past weekend, and they were lucky, and got the site. They called the first day you could reserve for the holiday weekend - - which was three months ago.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 16:23

Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

We parked at Miners Run and decided to head upstream to see what trout could be in the icy cold waters. If you havent been up miners run you have to go! Waterfall after waterfall cascades down this very narrow and steep gorge. It was breathtaking. The habitat is so very good and the water was the coldest I felt in awhile. Where are the fish? The PA Fish Comm say from the headwaters down to the Mouth. We didnt even spook any fish.

Is Miners Run on the reproduction list? I thought that it was dead from mine drainage. If you continue up the road that parallels Miners Run you come to an area that was mined back in the day and the creek drains right out of there.

On another note, if you follow that road along Miners Run the whole up to the top of the mountain, to where it ends, and then walk past the gate about a half mile or so, you come to a stunning overlook over the Lycoming Creek valley. It's very much worth the time to check out if you are in the area.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 9:57

From lancaster county
Next time im up there ill check out that overlook. Thanks for the info. No Miners is on the natural reproduction list and judging by the clean flows....id say free of mine acid drainage.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 13:50

From lancaster county
enjoying the water

lower fall

lower fall of rock run again

rock run

rock run2

miners run atop one of the falls

gorgous

the beautiful.........and the ugly :)

miners run

We did stop by Grays Run also. There is a bit of confusion between wether this is selective Harvest or C&R. There are two sets of signs out there lol. Anyways it seemed that the stream may have been re-routed by something upstream. And old stream channel still exists and where the stream is now there are newly exposed roots going across the stream chennel. Very very odd. I caught 1 small brookie on a sulphur pattern.

grays run

grays run2

We did see about 20 grouse by the road. Tried to take a pic of them ....those buggers are fast. Heres one in the pic.

Grouse

Posted on: 2008/7/10 17:57

Sal,

Thanks for the info that Miners Run is on the reproduction list. That's good news. But if neither you nor Mkern caught any fish, there makes me wonder. Usually if there are brookies present, you can catch them or at least get some bumps or follows.

Regarding the channel change on Grays Run. A prof at Bucknell told me they did some studies on this stream and they regarded this a natural channel avulsion. An avulsion just means jumping to a another location in the floodplain. Perfectly normal. It happens during big floods. Often a tree will get carried down by the flood, get jammed somewhere in the channel. Then the cobble that is being rolled down the channel by the high flows deposits behind the obstruction, often filling the channel right up near bankful. Then all that water coming down goes out over the banks and across the floodplain. At first it may be flowing right across the level top of the floodplain, which looks pretty unusual. But after a while it will carve a new channel. In other cases, the water will flow into what had been a secondary or flood channel, converting that to the new main channel, and making the previous main channel a secondary or flood channel.
It's not real unusual. I've seen it several times after big floods.

It's a normal process, but most people don't realize it. So it's very common for people to "fix" it by putting the channel "back where it belongs."

And that is usually a mistake. Unless property is threatened by the channel change, it is usually best for the stream habitat to leave it alone.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 20:32

From Lewistown
I saw the same thing of the creek rerouting. I think it is just a natural process of a lot of streams; usually caused by flood like conditions. I have seen similar things on other streams, but a few years after a shift has been made, and not to the same extent.

Gray's is extremely clear this time of year, and is clear most of the year -- crystal!

If you travel to where you cross a cement bridge and there is a parking area off to the right, that is the bottom of the C & R area. The upper limits are clearly marked by the club. A ton of the lower section is on private water.

Personally I hate Gray's and fish it once a year and then remember why I only fish it once: you need waders to cross but you get extremely hot, even in April; the stream is extremely tight and need a powerful rod to shoot your line, but is too close for a rod over 7'; the fish are extremely spooky and aren't very pretty.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 20:46

From Lewistown
troutbert,

Thanks for the insight on stream shift. I always thought that was a reason, but never heard from anyone "official."

I would like to add, that not only didn't I catch any fish in Miner's, but didn't even see a dart.

I really think the high waterfalls limit spawning and the fish that lived above them (that could replenish the pools below the falls, swept away eggs) have all been preyed upon by humans and other predators, and low water surely doesn't help; and that stream doesn't have very much to begin with.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 20:52

From lancaster county
Troutbert,

Ill second the notion of thanking you for your insight. That is very interesting and is very possible that this is what happened at Grays Run. I wouldnt change the stream channel back either. The over hanging tree roots and other structure made for some good fish habitat. Though it did look very odd. The only question that I have is wouldnt, while the water was cutting a new stream channel, be dwindling downstream. I would think if the diversion was long enough that the "regular creek channel" downstream of the diversion could go quite sometime with out water. Causing fish to die or even get trapped. If when the water flowing to point A to point X goes around B,C and D section and meets the stream channel back at point E those sections would be threatened. If the fish dont retreat with the flowing water they could get trapped and die?

Anyways again I loved the info. Thank You.

Mkern,

Grays was right up my alley. I fish small streams with full flex rods. Mines a 7 footer and i fish even more bushy streams than Grays on a regular basis. Its all up to your style and how much you practice with what equipment. No right or wrong answer here just what you prefer.

I will say that those fish are spooky and the low water most are hiding quite good right now. Hard to sneak up on any of these trout or even letting you leader settle on the waters surface without spooking them.

I didnt see a dart or a spooked fish in Miners either. Anyways tight lines you two!

Posted on: 2008/7/10 22:17

From Greensburg, PA
Now thats a pretty stream...good pics Sal.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 9:59

From Chester County
Killer report--especially with the grouse action too.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 10:04

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com