Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Meadow Run; Fayette County; 4/6/2011

From Pittsburgh
Fished Meadow Run DHALO section for the first time on Wednesday afternoon. The water levels of the local streams on the USGS website looked to all be running about 2X the mean for the level at this time of year thanks to the couple of inches of rain we got about 30 hours prior to me going out. The water temperature was about 46 degrees. I did see a few black stone-fly's later in the afternoon but didn't see any rising fish. I picked up 3 Browns, 2 Rainbows and 2 Brooks. It was the first time that I caught all three in one day. Does anyone know if they stock it with Brookies because everything have checked lists only Brown and Rainbows being stocked but it is not listed a stream that supports natural reproduction. I have attached a couple photos, the browns were the largest caught and all three were close to the size in the photos.

Attach file:

jpg  Meadow Run 1.jpg (784.96 KB)
4094_4d9f05d60bec7.jpg 1911X984 px

jpg  Meadow Run 2.jpg (958.38 KB)
4094_4d9f05ef2d73d.jpg 1517X881 px

Posted on: 2011/4/8 8:56

Re: Meadow Run; Fayette County; 4/6/2011

From Southwest, Pa
the yough does support natural repro, and brooks have been known to wander up in to meadow.

those are surely fresh stockies, which section did you fish? Lower (slides), middle (the uphill hike home), or the top section?

Posted on: 2011/4/8 9:45

-Art Lee

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I have caught the odd small trout with par marks in Meadow now and again (brook and rainbow) above the cascade (so they didn't come up from the Yough). That said, there is also a private fishing club upstream of the DHALO section on Meadow that stocks brook, brown, rainbow, and tiger trout (perhaps more?). Fish can and do wash down from there.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 9:52

From Pittsburgh
I started at the "flat rock" area and worked my way up from there. I walked the trail up a hill and down the other end with a steep cliff on the left side and stopped just after the decent. I caught the browns and one bow at flat rock and the brookies about 300 meters upstream from there. Don't remember where I got the second bow now.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 20:50

From Southwest, Pa
Quote:

albatross wrote:
I have caught the odd small trout with par marks in Meadow now and again (brook and rainbow) above the cascade (so they didn't come up from the Yough). That said, there is also a private fishing club upstream of the DHALO section on Meadow that stocks brook, brown, rainbow, and tiger trout (perhaps more?). Fish can and do wash down from there.

they stock fingerling bows in the yough and meadow and they do swim up into meadow from the yough.... browns stage in the fall where meadow confluences with the river to munch on them. I have some pictures on a thumb drive somewhere of a large brown throwing up small bows.

just saying.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 15:08

-Art Lee

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

stevehalupka wrote:
Quote:

albatross wrote:

they stock fingerling bows in the yough and meadow and they do swim up into meadow from the yough.... browns stage in the fall where meadow confluences with the river to munch on them. I have some pictures on a thumb drive somewhere of a large brown throwing up small bows.

just saying.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 18:31

From Dallastown, PA
For you Meadow regulars....do you think that fish can move up through the chutes/cascades? I visited there once and my kids slid down there on a hot august day. I thought no way a trout makes it up there....or why would they try?

Just sayin....

BTW, I thought the whole thing was crazy.....fearless kids sliding 15mph down through a rock chute. I saw concussion, paralysis all over that...but nobody got hurt. worry wart I guess....

Posted on: 2011/4/9 21:31

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
For you Meadow regulars....do you think that fish can move up through the chutes/cascades? I visited there once and my kids slid down there on a hot august day. I thought no way a trout makes it up there....or why would they try?

Just sayin....

BTW, I thought the whole thing was crazy.....fearless kids sliding 15mph down through a rock chute. I saw concussion, paralysis all over that...but nobody got hurt. worry wart I guess....

I took my grand daughter to those slides a few years ago. She went down one time, and scraped her leg pretty good on one of those ledges. Then told me that she never wants to go back there again

Posted on: 2011/4/9 23:01

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Maurice wrote Quote:
For you Meadow regulars....do you think that fish can move up through the chutes/cascades?

Chutes, maybe in high water. Chutes and Cascade, No.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 23:16

From Southwest, Pa
yup... alby is right on that one. However, fish show up in places they shouldn't all the time. How do you think the class a trib to the yough has wild bows?? that's a swim!

Posted on: 2011/4/10 3:19

-Art Lee

From Dallastown, PA
I am confused, Aren't the cascades below the DHALO? How are these rainbows getting up there from the Yough? I was using the term "chute" as synonomous with cascade....

My recollection is that the cascades were near the confluence with the yough.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 9:09

Chutes aka rock slide in near the bottom of Meadow. Cascades alittle further up but below the park office. I am not a Meadow regular but that is what I recall. If memory serves the cascades can run barely a trickle later in the year.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 9:17

From da burgh
Mo, the rainbows are more than likely not coming from below. I truly belive that there would be little chance a fish could make the chutes, and even less to no chance they would make the cascades above. Those bows are washing down from above. Up above the DHALO section Beaver Creek comes into Meadow. A private club loads Beaver with bows amonst others, see attached. I am not a big proponent for pay fishing, but we won a day pass at an event and visited Beaver. In additon to the big stockies, evidence that they are reprodicung is showing up as well, see 2nd photo. I would belive these fish can easily find there way into the DHALO.

Attach file:

jpg  drake pig.jpg (485.67 KB)
2497_4da48e2ca07b6.jpg 2048X1536 px

jpg  Wild Bow.jpg (539.11 KB)
2497_4da48e4e4b891.jpg 2048X1536 px

Posted on: 2011/4/12 13:40

From Southwest, Pa
I have caught those "wild bows" where cucumber runs in... as well as at the slides... they are finglerlings. Not saying there isn't wild repro going on there, but that pic is most likely a fingerlinger...

Posted on: 2011/4/12 22:04

-Art Lee

From Dallastown, PA
I dunno, those fins are pretty in good shape for a fingerling.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 22:53

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com