Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Meadow Run; Fayette County; 4/6/2011

From Pgh
FYI -- In 25 years of fishing there, I've caught 4"-5" brookies and brownies below the cascades. Nothing but stockies above. Seems to support the migration up from the Yough theory.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 8:54

From da burgh
Given where that particular fish was caught, I do not belive it was a fingerling. The stream manager for that section of Beaver Creek has seen the bows doing their thing, and they do not stck fingerlings.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 12:54

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I'm with you Dasofas. There is some reproduction going on in the watershed. Not that it would sustain the fishery without stocking, but it is happening.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 14:37

From Southwest, Pa
Quote:

dasofas wrote:
Given where that particular fish was caught, I do not belive it was a fingerling. The stream manager for that section of Beaver Creek has seen the bows doing their thing, and they do not stck fingerlings.

i see steelhead in erie doing their thing too... doesn't mean repro is going on, and yes, they are groups outside of the stream managers realm that stock fingerlings in meadow run...

not saying that bow isn't wild, but in response to the fins, they don't look that great to me. The par on that fish is very similar to a stocked finglering.

this is a true wild bow... more speckles, better fins

Resized Image

who knows... maybe the hundreds of small bows we caught at the slides were indeed wild, but it's highly doubtful

Posted on: 2011/4/13 15:17

-Art Lee

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
The stream manager for that section of Beaver Creek has seen the bows doing their thing

I've got no idea on the stream in question, and I'm not sure I could tell a fingerling bow from a wild bow. But, just because you see fish doing their thing doesn't mean they're successful. Stockies do their thing almost everywhere, the success of the eggs is where it falls apart in most places. Just sayin.

And for Steve, bows vary greatly by location, I've caught ones I'm 100% sure where wild that are almost pure silver.

Ok, done picking nits without solving any questions....

Posted on: 2011/4/13 20:54

From Southwest, Pa
i know what you're saying..

meadow is a very scenic stream, but compared to even the yough, the hatches they aren't the best.. in fact, I personally think dunbar gets more bugs, but hey, they just m.o..

i just don't think upper, or any sections of meadow are having natural repro of bows... yough, yes, in sections, but meadow??

browns swim up there to spawn every fall, and I've never caught a wild brown there, but magically, after stockings, I catch small bows... fingerlings.

don't think people aren't crazy enough about that place to catch them in the lower section and move them up top... my buddy does this with stockies in another local stream, many more miles away from the 3 sections of meadow.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 22:10

-Art Lee

From Pgh
steve,
I have caught fingerling bows, brookies and browns (3 to 4") in lower Meadow and in one case a small brookie in upper Meadow near Laurel Run. The bows can be attributed to fingerling stocking in the Yough... but the brookies and browns? I am convinced that there is minimal natural reproduction going on. Some years better than others. But I bet the reproduction is attributed to cool water, not necessarily in Meadow itself. There are a few feeder tribs and springs in certain spots along Meadow that might help sustain fish during hot summers. An interesting fact is that I caught the brookies and browns in the early spring and fall only, never late spring into summer.

I know for a fact that brookies migrate in and out of larger, main stem waters during spring and fall and possibly winter (not sure because I rarely fish in winter.) For example, in Laurel Hill Creek, there are sections around cool water tributaries that have surprising numbers small brookies in the spring.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 9:03

From da burgh
OK, let's look at this a bit more logically. While I agree with the most of what has been said on the thread, I think there is a bit of mis-interpretation, or maybe I wasn't being very clear. Either way, here goes.

First, as I stated earlier, the fish in the photo is from Beaver Creek, not Meadow. Beaver Creek runs into Meadow approx 2.5 miles above the Cascades (not the chutes by the mouth). The private stretch of Beaver I was fishing is approx 2 miles above the mouth with Meadow. I do not know what Beaver looks like between Meadow and where I was, but it is a very small stream.

In this section there are a number of stocked bows, tigers, etc. and some improvements. If it wasn't for the improvements, this stretch of water would be considered very small brookie water, evident both below and above the limits of the stretch. In this stretch, the bows have been observed to be showing spawning behavior. Subsequently, a limited number of small, wild looking bows have been caught in this small section of stream.

So I'll leave it to you. Do you belive the fingerlings that are being caught miles below in a different stream (which I don't disagree that they exist) are making a migration and ironically settling home in this specific and somewhat isolated section of Beaver Creek amongnst stocked pig bows that are showing spawing behavior. Certainly possible. Or is it more logical to draw the conclusion that natural repro is occuring in this specific location, and the limited number of small wild looking bows are in fact the spawn of the resident stockers. I tend to believe the latter. Hence, I am drawing the conclusion that the upper most region of the Meadow watershed (mainly its tribs) supports natural reproduction. How far down the watershed this occurs would certainly take much more data.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 10:47

From Pgh
One more thing I forgot to mention. The PBFC did find natural reproduction occurring on Meadow way upstream of the DHALO area near Grover Road many years ago. It was on their official list. They pulled it from their current list of "some natural reproduction" though-- probably because they haven't shocked in many years rather than a lack of any fish.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 13:46

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com