Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Meadow Run, DHALO, 4/12 and 4/13...WHAT A WEEKEND!!!

highsticker-

I have mixed emotions on Stream Reports. I enjoy reading about folks outings especially when I could'nt get out myself. I get as much out of what happened to folks (like them catching bats or posion ivy, taking wrong turns etc...) as I do about people's catches or successes.

(agree with ezpickens post from above) Heard alot about Muddy,Valley,Mountian Creeks etc... but I have never thought I was even close to jumping in the car and driving 3-4 hours to fish somewhere.

The report is from some guy using a spin rod in a DHALO area. If there was that many people there- good for the rest of us on open water or class A waters. Let the lemmings go there. As Will Farrell says "More for me and you".

It is funny that your last post was publically asking for information on the Loyalhanna back in November after the DHALO area was stocked. If it was that big a deal- you would have thought you would PM someone.

Not saying your right or wrong just observations of mine.

Posted on: 2008/4/29 10:42

I never look at stream reports before I go out. Typically, the only information I look at is USGS data and the weather channel. I really don't care what other people are catching or if they're catching them. That's assuming the person posting is honest, and they know what they're doing.

Yes, last year, my buddy and I fished meadow a week after the last stocking and we even talked on the way over about how crowded it would be. We literally saw 3 guys from the slides to the cascades.

I was going to Meadow Sunday regardless of any internet postings etc. I was actually there last Sunday too (blown out). It's one of the closest streams to me, so I'm there almost every weekend until the water temps get high etc. So yes, I contribute to the crowds. There have been days when there were a lot of people down there, and I always wonder why one weekend will be fishermanless and then the next have 20 guys.

I asked about the water levels on the hanna last fall, not whether the stockies were hitting.

I'm entitled to an opinion, and my opinion is that these reports are worthless. While some people don't jump in the car based on these reports, some do. A lot do. Look at Erie in the fall. As soon as the boards start rumbling, and the reports in the Post Gazette get published it's a stampede to the tribs. I don't like magazine articles either. Maybe you do, that's fine. I just don't think they do anything but drive people who wouldn't have thought to go someplace to go there.

I love my wild streams too, and I can say that I've never seen anyone else fishing them. While I love catching wild browns and brookies on a 1 weight, I like catching bigger fish too, so I fish in the more public places. I just wish they'd stay a little less "front page". Meadow used to be really vacant. It's gotten more press lately. You can't deny that before the boards and internet reports, streams like Meadow didn't get near the attention they do today.

Posted on: 2008/4/29 12:01

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

highsticker wrote:

Yes, last year, my buddy and I fished meadow a week after the last stocking and we even talked on the way over about how crowded it would be. We literally saw 3 guys from the slides to the cascades.

Perhaps because it was 30 degrees colder last year during that week...

Couple months ago you were thanking me for a report and promising to post your own..remember this?

Quote:

Re: loyalhanna?

It was lower three weeks ago when I fished it and there were a lot of fish stacked up where there was water. They should have spread out a little by now and hopefully taking more than the egg patterns they wanted back then.

Posted on: 2007/11/22 11:49

highsticker

Re: loyalhanna?

thanks! I'm going to hit the DHALO tomorrow morning and see how it goes. I'll let you know.

Posted on: 2008/4/29 13:03

Again, I asked about the Loyalhanna's water level, not whether people were catching fish, or to show me pictures of fish.

Here was my question:

Quote:
anyone fish the project on the Loyalhanna lately? I'm going to give it a whirl on Sat. I only live about 20-25min from it, just been fishing everywhere else instead. I know it was low earlier in the fall, but we've got a fair amount of rain lately.

I didn't post a report because I didn't go. Shame on me. Maybe if I went I wouldn't have posted how well I did anyway.

Regardless, there is a difference between reporting that you had a good time, and selling the stream. Some of these reports resemble a sales pitch for a private fishing club more than a report to help people catch fish.

You're obviously trying to pin me as a hypocrite for asking about water levels and then condemning someone for posting a report. I see two different things when I look at my question last year and this post. Asking if a stream is fishable in terms of water level and flat out "selling" the stream seem very different to me.

Posted on: 2008/4/29 15:13

From Bozeman
What has the sport come to when one of our greatest pasttimes has become such a source of disdain for some of us?

BSing, bragging, telling fish stories... all of it is part of fishing. Sure, it can be a little abrasive sometimes, but it's what we all do. Refuse to admit it if you wish, but I don't deny it.

This report was selling fishing on opening weekend more than it was selling any particular stream. I found it enjoyable.

Posted on: 2008/4/29 15:45

From Monessen, PA
highsticker, I think the creator of this stream report had no intention beyond a little bragging about his great day on the stream. It could be, too, that he wanted to alert others to the good fishing he found on Meadow. It certainly is his right to do so, and I think it is a little rude for him to get "lectured" by others that think he is adversely impacted "their" stream. The purpose of the Stream Reports is to allow board readers to share stream information to assist others in their future fishing.

I read the Meadow Run report when it was posted over two weeks ago. I did not go to the stream until this past Saturday and only went because I thought it a decent possibility that a hatch might be underway. I didn't even fish in the DHALO section, opting instead for an area where stream topography suggested to me I might encounter bug activity. Nothing in this thread provided any help, as hatches were not mentioned at all. Anyone who read this report and thought that somehow, of all the Southwestern PA stocked streams, Meadow was the only one to get large fish, wouldn't have waited until this past weekend to try the stream.

These internet information crawlers you suggest exist are, I think, only in your imagination. You found the stream more crowded than you like. We can all understand your disappointment. But I have a hard time understanding how that disappointment turned into anger and that anger turned into resentment of a fellow angler who chose to share information about his trip two weeks ago.

It really isn't anyone's place to tell another angler what he/she can share or how they can share it. Faster and broader communication by internet is a fact of modern life. I just think you severely over-estimate the impact it has on any particular stream or on streams in general-- that is, if it has any impact at all.

Posted on: 2008/4/29 15:58

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Pittsburgh
the REAL question is: Did you get a new rod, a new girlfriend, or both?

Posted on: 2008/4/29 16:54

In my head. I guess, but the thread views sure don't support that theory. You're assuming that everyone who reads these threads and see pictures of big fish in great numbers has the ability to think rationally and realize that this is due to recent stocking, and not that this particular stream is just the perfect place to fish. Believe me, there are people who believe that.

Obviously I'm out numbered on this one. I just don't understand how someone could look at this an say that it has zero impact on the number of people who fish the stream. At best, someone would read it and think "hmmm, Meadow, I haven't fished that for years. Maybe I'll go give it a try.". Whether it's because they saw big fish being caught there recently or just the mere mention of the stream, I think you have to agree that it would increase traffic to that particular stream.

I wouldn't say I'm angry, just disappointed that people can't have a little more discretion in their posts. I'll take my thread on the Loyalhanna last year for example, since it seems to have been so scrutinized here. I didn't ask to see pictures of recent catches, or to know exactly where the fish are. It seems there are a lot of people who like to brag about how well they do on the water. My question was a simple non nondescript request for info on water levels. What I got in return was a little too specific.

I dislike the reports section and wish it didn't exist. I think you should figure things out for yourself. I like going to the stream with only a general knowledge of what should be hatching this time of year and making sure I'm prepared. Figuring out "what's working" is part of fly-fishing IMO. If you can't figure it out, and the only way you can fly-fish is to go pre-armed with exact information on where and with what to fish, then why not just take some nightcrawlers out?

We've already disgraced this thread, and to the OP, I apologize. I should've posted this as it's own thread somewhere else.

Posted on: 2008/4/29 17:16

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

highsticker wrote:
At best, someone would read it and think "hmmm, Meadow, I haven't fished that for years. Maybe I'll go give it a try.". Whether it's because they saw big fish being caught there recently or just the mere mention of the stream, I think you have to agree that it would increase traffic to that particular stream.

Thats a good example of why they should be here. Remember, everyone that fishes meadow because they read something on a board is a person who won;t be at another stream that someone else wishes no ever reported on. I understand your point, I just don't agree with it. If it were a wild brookie stream, I might, but Meadow has always gotten fished a lot over the last 15 years I've lived within an hour of it. Even in the dead of summer when the sliders are in mass there are more fishermen than I would expect to see. Its got special regs which make it a much bigger target than other ATWs or even a Class A.

Quote:
I'll take my thread on the Loyalhanna last year for example, since it seems to have been so scrutinized here. I didn't ask to see pictures of recent catches, or to know exactly where the fish are.

I looked back and I realize you did specifically ask about flows but its still information that may cause someone to single it out as a place to fish based on ANY information.

Quote:
then why not just take some nightcrawlers out?

I've only ever fished the delayed harvest section so I wouldn't know about night crawlers which would be illegal.

Quote:
We've already disgraced this thread, and to the OP, I apologize. I should've posted this as it's own thread somewhere else.

Maybe...but you're not the first with this concern and you won't be the last...these boards exist for the purpose of sharing ideas, information and concerns...

Posted on: 2008/4/29 17:33

From Norristown, PA
Hmm. now ive got an idea, time to post some stream reports on how StreamA is fishing amazingly well and StreamB is fishless. I of course, will be heading to StreamB.

Posted on: 2008/4/29 22:05

From Bozeman
I'm actually starting a new policy.

I'm going to kiss and tell about every stream I do well on.

I expect any lurkers that go because of it to give me a beer, a cigarette, a "cigarette", or any other kind of contraband. We can stand around and BS for a few hours while we catch a few fish that I worked so hard for, yet feel no sense of possession over them.

See how that works?

Done deal. See you on the stream!

Posted on: 2008/4/29 22:52

From Norristown, PA
Nice looking fish by the way buzz. So what kind of fly is that in their mouths? Looks like a green head Jig with zonker strips?

Posted on: 2008/4/30 14:29

I dont post often but I thought I'd chime in anyway. A suggestion: make the stream reports forum available to paflyfish.com members only. Yes one could come up with plenty of reasons to keep it open to anyone who happens upon the site, but I personally think it would be better to restrict it to members only; it would be a compromise.

Posted on: 2008/4/30 20:37

From Chester County
Limestone wrote: " make the stream reports forum available to paflyfish.com members only. Yes one could come up with plenty of reasons to keep it open to anyone who happens upon the site, but I personally think it would be better to restrict it to members only; it would be a compromise."

Great idea!!! The lurkers don't contribute anything to the site anyway. This would make me more willing to share stream info if I knew it were viewed only by fellow members on the board. Also, I would delete registered members who don't contribute a post within a certain time period since it is likely that they just register to lurk and not to contribute. Just a thought.

Posted on: 2008/5/1 7:47

lime and afish- For what it is worth I agree with you guys. Might be willing to post more stream reports.

Posted on: 2008/5/1 9:09

« 1 (2) 3 »

Topic is Locked

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com