Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Loyalhanna, Westmoreland, 9Mar2008

afish-

Thanks. I will always accept advice. Did you mean lengthing the leader for nymphing as well?

Plan to try more slack leaders this year. What are some things you do to accomplish this? Piling the leader up to acheive more drag free drift? What leader formula do you find works the best?

I like the fact I have an open mind about fly fishing. I am not locked into particular method or patterns or teachings. Like to think I can take some ideas from many different people.

Anyone feel free to chime in also. Thanks in advance, Paul

Posted on: 2008/3/19 9:34

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

acristickid wrote:
....Like to think I can take some ideas from many different people.

Anyone feel free to chime in also. Thanks in advance, Paul

OK, here's some advice-- lose the clown wig, it may be scarin' away the fish.

Posted on: 2008/3/19 9:41

-- Leo Tolstoy

Haha- and I actually asked a serious question.

Let me say it wont be the rainbow wig that scares the fish away.

I don't always have cat like reflexes when carring my 260 lb bulk around on slippy rocks.

just to explain:
My avatar is a picture of me wearing a rainbow wig near a busy bridge because I lost a bet with a friend. Bet was first fish of the day.

Posted on: 2008/3/19 9:56

From Greensburg, PA
One thing, out west,I had no choice but to get better at is mending on a drift. You just can't get that fly down if the line is ahead of the fly. I always (if trying to go deep) mend the line upstream, sometimes several times on the same drift. If that belly gets ahead of the fly its dragging and it surfacing...Mend upstream and keep the fly ahead of the belly and the fly stays down. The line will catch up to the fly and you line will straighten. Just mend again and extend your drift.

Posted on: 2008/3/19 10:13

From Chester County
Tom G. is certainly right about mending. I mend 5 – 10 times on an average drift to keep the fly drifting without drag. One thing to help your mending is using floatant. I like green muscilan, and apply it to my leader and the tip of my fly line. I really helps you to mend easily without disturbing the water or having to move the fly much.

Acristic wrote: “Plan to try more slack leaders this year. What are some things you do to accomplish this? Piling the leader up to acheive more drag free drift? What leader formula do you find works the best?”

I’ve been messing with leaders for what seems like forever. The knotless extruded leaders you buy are so / so, the knotted leaders with conventional formulas and the furled leaders are great for fly turnover, but they work too well for me. It’s actually hard to get a slack line presentation with them. I tried the George Harvey slack leader formula, and that works well, but this season I’ve been experimenting with the Gary Borger formula for slack line presentations. It’s the simplest one I’ve ever seen, and seems to work just fine. Here it is:

Dry (9’): .013 – 48” / 1X – 12” / 5X – 48”

Nymph (10’): .020 - 51” / .013 – 12” / 2X – 51” / 4X – 6”

That’s it. You can tweak the leader length and tippet size a bit to fit conditions. His formula breaks the general rule of 20/60/20 butt/taper/tippet, and not exceeding .002 diameter between segments, but it is not designed for easy fly turnover, it designed for slack-line presentations. I will say that it takes some practice to get used to, and it will not automatically lay out your leader on a poor cast, but with some work you can learn to lay it out or stack it up on each cast as needed. I’ve been using Borger’s dry formula for nymphing too, usually using a 4X tippet. Three segments, two knots – what could be simplier.

Good luck.

PS The Borger and Harvey formulas are on this chart:

Leader Formula Chart

Posted on: 2008/3/19 11:12

Edited by afishinado on 2008/3/19 11:42:58

From Bozeman
To go with what Tom and Afish are saying:

On heavily pressured project waters, I am almost always using a very tiny fly, or a very gawdy junk fly.

The tully, for example, is almost exclusively midges, caddis that are a size smaller than what's hatching (usually 20-22), or on the opposite end of the spectrum: green weenies, sjw, globugs.

Both methods work. What doesn't work well, however, is drifting a traditional fly through a pod of fish. Traditional nymphs are occasionally good.

Posted on: 2008/3/19 12:12

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com