Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Lower, Lower Yough River, Westmoreland County, 9/29/2013

From Pgh
Fished around Smithton for bass from 5 to 7pm. Water temperature in the upper 60s. The water clarity was exceptional at least 3 to 4 feet. Flow rate was around 1000cfs.

Using a brown clouser and white popper, I caught 7 fish. 3 were 14" or better, biggest around 16" The hogs should start coming out to play soon, but none on this trip.

I began by working mid-river seams, boulders, and other structure unique to this area of the river like tires, grocery carts and washing machines. It was a wash for me... nothing doing. I switched tactics and began to work grass beds, deeper runs, logs closer to shore and started to move fins. My biggest fish came out of a small side channel from under a low-hanging sycamore tree in only about 2 feet of water. He smashed that popper like there was no tomorrow.

The hot spot I always catch fish from didn't produce. Initially, I thought it was strange, then I saw another angler stalking the area. I watched the HUGE heron for awhile, hoping to pick up some pointers.
When he finally saw me, he took off, squawking all the way up to Jones Brewery.

This day the Yough treated me OK...

Posted on: 2013/9/29 9:20

Re: Lower, Lower Yough River, Westmoreland County, 9/29/2013

From Pittsburgh
sounds like a nice day... nothing quite like a big smallie smashing a popper!

Posted on: 2013/9/29 9:27

From Pittsburgh
Nice report. I fished the Smithton area once and didn't see much structure that would hold fish. I guess I didn't give it the proper attention and moved on to Layton.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 12:52

From Pgh
Structure in that area consists largely of seams, grass beds and runs between islands in the archipelago. I don't fish it that often. The fish are there but tend to be a bit smaller. There are better stretches in the river, but it's only 1/2 hour from my home, perfect for a quick getaway.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 22:01

From Hunker
I enjoy fishing that area in spring for the stockies, and I always see a great little black stonefly hatch almost everytime I go in April and I've seen decent sulfur activity in may. I've also seen a few musky taken from that area. The smallmouth fishing is great there at bear-ass beach and upriver, but the best smallie water that I tend to fish is upriver 1 mile from west newton fished along the rocky shores near the railroad tracks.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 3:51
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

From Pgh
I've never purposely fished it for trout, LA. Although, every now and then I catch them on streamers and even poppers! I always see bugs when I go. Saturday I saw tons of tiny BWO and even a few isos. No surface activity though.

I suspect many trout have held over this year, being generally wet and cool in SW PA. A couple years ago during a particularly hot spell in August, I saw many dead trout in that stretch. I remember one brown being around 22" with a kipe jaw, beautiful fish that had probably held over for a couple of years.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 9:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com